It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange creatures found in Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Strange creatures found in Russia

english.pravda.ru

These weird creatures were found in an abandoned foundation pit in the Russian city of Chelyabinsk.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Not too much information on this site, I will try to find more about them. They're similar to horseshoe crabs but the tail is thicker and more prehensile.

english.pravda.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I was gonna say some kind of horseshoe crab,but thats a guess.Pretty interesting.Isn't pravada like the enquirer?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
www.underwatertimes.com...

a better link with more info. apparently it's 5 feet long! they were digging and came to an underground river where they apparently came from. these creatures may very well have been preserved in an ancient microcosm for hundreds of millions of years!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Wow - I hit your link and I get redirected to Yahoo!

with a this website has been blocked message!

Well, I am in China. It had to start happening one day!!

MonKey

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Reading the UnderwaterTimes link, there's a person who says it's a Tadpole Shrimp. I looked at the Wikipedia article for Tadpole Shrimp, and the pictures look quite similar. The article also says one of the workers estimated the size to be 5 feet, but those pictures don't seem to be of anything that's 5 feet long.

Of course, Pravda isn't exactly known for being the most credible source.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

i wonder how much yahoo paid the chinese governemnt for that bit of redirect!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reminds me of the movie alien LOL

it is quite freaky the weird creatures we come across that we are not aware of. They look very "alien" in terms of not being a well known creature.

EDIT:
The pic looks very identical to the tadpole shrimp or shield shrimp but looks a hell of a lot bigger. Perhaps a sub species?

[edit on 19/11/2007 by shearder]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I agree that it looks very similar to tadpole shrimp, but I also believe it may be as long as reported be the Russians. Mutations occur all the time. Pygmy elephants, giant cockroaches. I just hope they ate it after they killed it. "And what's the Iron Chef secret ingredient today Chairman?"

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
it looks like a living trylobyte!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
They do look strange, certainly think twice about eating one lol!!

MikeSingh found a pic of an alien fossil not so long back on a post, sort of looked like this thing!
Will try to find it!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

hmmmm... i don't think a living trilobite but perhaps a sub species? But what do i know? I can only assume based on the pics of the creature and the possibility of it being related to the shield shrimp. I wonder how closely the trilobite and shield shrimp are related? They look similar, yes, but are they related like the elephant and the mouse?

I found something else that has a pic of a Triops that looks exactly the same as the pic provided of the creature in Russia. Now the pic where the creature is laying against some sort of grate it would appear that IF the creature was 5ft then that is one SERIOUSLY big grate.

The diamonds on the grate would be about +- 6''->8'' across. That would be, again, one SERIOUSLY big grate.

No, i would go more for the creature being 4-5 INCHES at the most!! And it is definately a "Triops longicaudatus"

More here

Case solved

[edit on 19/11/2007 by shearder]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Freaky lookin critters!! Ick!

[edit on 19-11-2007 by wrangell76]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by shearder

a triops longicaudatus is still pretty impressive,300 million year old species!,thats older than a trylobyte!!.

i have a strange feeling of awe for it....

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
It doesn't look 5ft, but merely 1-1.5 ft. Still it's an odd find. I wonder if they will send it in to be cataloged.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson

a triops longicaudatus is still pretty impressive,300 million year old species!,thats older than a trylobyte!!.

i have a strange feeling of awe for it....

Oh ABSOLUTELY!! No doubt about it.
It is actually amazing that we have fossils of an extinct creature and a LIVING creature older than the fossil!! Very awesome!!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
It doesn't look 5ft, but merely 1-1.5 ft. Still it's an odd find. I wonder if they will send it in to be cataloged.

Much smaller in fact DJ

It is already known about here. Called the "Triops longicaudatus".

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is rather funny... I'll have to do some more research on our side of the Net.

The size is total bull# - because there is that sort of lid, I presume it's a sewer lid, and if this 'monster' is 1,5m long, then the lid is not less than 4-5m. wide... I've never seen such lids... plus the pattern on the lid gives the size of the 'monster away'...

Edit to add:

Yes, it has long been debunked. It's a simple, but rare, Triops cancriformis.

That's where our Pravda stands...
(Pravda from Russian "правда" - the truth... ironic, isnt' it?)

[edit on 19/11/07 by MastaG]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
A Prehistoric Fish in a Russian Pond

Chelyabinsk, Russia 55°08′N, 61°23′E

The Most Polluted Place on Earth

For forty-five years, Chelyabinsk province of Russia was closed to all foreigners.Only in January of 1992 did President Boris Yeltsin sign a decree changing that.Shortly afterwards, I made my first trip to this region, which later Western scientists declared to be the most polluted spot on earth.

The people of the area have suffered no less than three nuclear disasters:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

to someone else, i think it is just strange cause we have never seen it before.

dj, i am pretty sure it will be catalogued as a 'species' if it os not one of those shrimp...that small pic you posted almost looks like a skate.

i son't have a source but i was watching something on discovery one day and they said that hundreds and hundreds of new species are found everyday but there is a backlog of thousands waiting to have them catalogued....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join