It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange creatures found in Russia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

I live there... Chelyabinsk Region, Magnitogorsk City, 2-3 hours by car from Chelyabinsk... sad enough, but true.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It's so cool that you live in Russia!! Greetings and Bright Blessings from Minnesota!

I am so sorry about the nuclear contamination of your region. You must have some very interesting stories to tell.

Do you know what the depth of the Lakes are that are near Chelyabinsk?

Do you know where in Chelyabinsk City that the creatures were found?

Please tell us more....

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

There are 3 lakes and a water reservoir (sp?) surrounding Chelyabinsk.

1) Smolino Lake - max depth 6.8m
2) Sineglazovo Lake - max depth 3.1m
3) Pervoe Lake - avg. depth 7.7m
4) Shershnevskoe Reservoir - depth 14m

All three lakes are inhibited by the 'monster'.

About the region:

Chelyabinsk and Magnitogorsk (Where I live) are two of the largest industrial cities in Chelyabinskya region. My city has the largest iron and steel-works complex in Russia.

The air in the region contains high levels of Sulphur, Nitrogen, and Carbon oxides. The lakes and rivers around are contaminated by Nitrates/ites, heavy metal compounds and radioactive elements like Caesium-137, phenol, etc. Contamination levels are 6-10 times higher than normal.

You can GoogleMap "Magnitogorsk" and check out the huge metalworks we got here.

Edit to add:

I've got a lot of detailed information and reports on the whole zone, with statistical data, analysis and comments. In Russia. You might want to use Google Translator and try to have a look, scientific terms should look OK when translated automatically. Here is the link Chelyabinsk Region Pollution Reports it's from 2005, but you'll get the idea.

Translation by Google [url=http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redbook.ru%2Fkd2005.htm&langpair=ru%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8]>HERE

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Great thread and discussion guys! Just for the record, I believe that this may be the original source for this story:

EnglishRussia.com

[edit on 11/19/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I have to say that every time I look at a Pravda story or pic my belief that it's the Russian equivalent of the National Enquirer grows. I haven't bought one story from that rag yet.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Like a horseshoe crab but a bit more like trilobites as well.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
To the OP, sweet Amon Amarth quote in your sig. With Oden On Our Side rules.

I looked at those pics and I could tell that those things were not in any way some grand new creature. They look so small. Pravda is about as credible now as it was when it was a government propaganda rag. It's all sensationalism and stories that are obvious hoaxes. Just makes me wonder if the average Russian likes such phony news, or if they really believe its dubious claims.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well they do look quite a bit like Tadpole Shrimp, on the other hand the Wiki entry on them appears to say they only grow to a couple of inches in length. The animals in the photo, while hardly five feet in length, are quite a bit larger than a couple inches.

So I still think this bears further investigation.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Well they do look quite a bit like Tadpole Shrimp, on the other hand the Wiki entry on them appears to say they only grow to a couple of inches in length. The animals in the photo, while hardly five feet in length, are quite a bit larger than a couple inches.

So I still think this bears further investigation.

Everything has already been explained. It's a Triops cancriformis, nothing more nothing less... what does not convince you? Are you really thinking that this 'monster' that we got here is something out of this world?

It might be a bit larger because of the water contamination that I've given you information on in one of my posts above.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
A bit larger?

Those creatures are something over a foot long, triops grows to about two inches.

I'm not sure water contamination is sufficient to explain such a vast difference in size.

No offense intended, excellent work finding the triops, but I don't know if I'd say "everything is explained" quite yet

As for what I think, well I don't think there is enough information to form an opinion.

No "monsters" required, simply a new variant of an existing species, or perhaps a new & related species.

It's not that odd, new animal species are discovered on a fairly regular basis.

[edit on 11/19/07 by xmotex]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
*sniff*

This thread brings back fond memories of Blinky, my pet triops that I raised in one of those "Triasic Triops" kits.

Oh the fun we had watching him grow and swim and eat the other triops in the tank. Stupid coworkers let him die while I was on vacation.

I miss you Blinky!

Triops Kit

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MastaG
Yes, it has long been debunked. It's a simple, but rare, Triops cancriformis.

Nope, it is a "Triops longicaudatus" the Cancriformis is different.

See the pics here

[edit on 19/11/2007 by shearder]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
it looks like a living trylobyte!!!

Thats exactly what I was going to say. They look very much like the creatures that we have raised in the past. I think they look alien of nature though just the same...Too bad Man found them, no telling what they could have evolved into eventually. Looked like a trout tail. Also seemed to have red blood. Makes me sick that people have to destroy everything. It's natural habitat was invaded obviously.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
In response to the triops longicaudatus explanation:

en.wikipedia.org...

"Triops longicaudatus is widespread in North America. In Canada, it is only found in the province of Alberta. It is widespread throughout the continental United States, Mexico and Hawaii, but not Alaska. Tadpole shrimps can be found in all parts of South America the West Indies, and the Pacific Islands, including Japan and New Caledonia.[8]"

It's not native to the region it was found, and there are definitely differences between the two, most notably the tail structure and the size(it looks to be about 2-3 ft. to my eyes). The tails on the tadpole shrimps are frayed at the end with two whiskers, and this thing has one long, solid tail.

I think most definitely a new subspecies caused by the radiation in the area, or an ancient microcosm that was tapped by the construction.

to MerleB: glad to see another headbanger! i've been on a huge amon amarth and finntroll kick lately. fun to get rowdy to

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
At least they weren't dinner.......were they

Kinda reminds me of : Russians catch alien… and eat it?

Pravda can dish-up some imaginative fare

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sacreligion
In response to the triops longicaudatus explanation:

en.wikipedia.org...

...and there are definitely differences between the two, most notably the tail structure and the size(it looks to be about 2-3 ft. to my eyes). The tails on the tadpole shrimps are frayed at the end with two whiskers, and this thing has one long, solid tail.
I think most definitely a new subspecies caused by the radiation in the area, or an ancient microcosm that was tapped by the construction.

maybe a sub species but look at this pic. VERY close. Sub Species? Possibly but i doubt any bigger than 12 inches.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It kinda reminds of the headcrab-thingy that sucks to your head in the movie Alien

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I really wish they wouldnt have killed it so it could be examined alive lol, but if theres more than one maybe they can still find one and take a closer look at it to find out what it really is

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
reply to post by shearder

a triops longicaudatus is still pretty impressive,300 million year old species!,thats older than a trylobyte!!.

Yep,it's an interesting find.
While it may be 'older' than some trilobites,trilobites were around much earlier:
www.fossilmuseum.net...

and while I am talking 'trilobite',here is a useful introduction:
www.biol.wwu.edu...

Looking at the water in the photos, and the grains, it doesn't seem very large at all, a matter of centimetres.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AotearoaSon
Yep,it's an interesting find.
While it may be 'older' than some trilobites,trilobites were around much earlier:
www.fossilmuseum.net...

and while I am talking 'trilobite',here is a useful introduction:
www.biol.wwu.edu...

Looking at the water in the photos, and the grains, it doesn't seem very large at all, a matter of centimetres.

Absolutely. As i said in my post here It looks, to me, around 4-5 inches at the most. It may be smaller though. Unfortunately the grate is all we have to gauge it by and the diamonds culd be any size but assuming that the diamonds have a "non-slip" purpose they would be relatively small. Perhaps .5" across?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join