It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

georgia schools to ban evolution theory

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
students in georgia may not ever hear the term 'evolution' in science classes again.
www.ajc.com...

think of the education these kids will be missing out on

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
oops. im ever so sorry

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't see why this can't be a separate thread.

Back to the subject.

It seems to me that this kind of directly contradicts the whole �no child left behind� thing.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

New middle and high school science standards proposed by state Schools Superintendent Kathy Cox strike references to "evolution" and replace them with the term "biological changes over time,"

What's next, changing the word "math" to "doing things with numbers"

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunkleskates
oops. im ever so sorry

Oh, I don't care. I just thought that I would connect this to the PC thread as it is relevent.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Darwin himself said "if no transitional species are found my work should be discarded"

the theory has been exausted and is just wrong.

My children attend school in georgia...This is GOOD news
to me.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
the alternatives to teaching evolution are to either: teach creationism, which would cause all kinds of problems with the huge variety of religions in america today. or to completely remove that portion of the curriculum, which would destroy the foundations for much of the teachings that come later on in biology class, and science classes after it.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberpilot
Darwin himself said "if no transitional species are found my work should be discarded"

to me.

out of curiosity, are you religious?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

the alternatives to teaching evolution are to either: teach creationism, which would cause all kinds of problems with the huge variety of religions in america today. or to completely remove that portion of the curriculum, which would destroy the foundations for much of the teachings that come later on in biology class, and science classes after it.

Hu!?! They are still teaching it; they are just going to change the name which really seems pointless to me.

From CNN: "Superintendent Kathy Cox said the concept of evolution would still be taught under the proposal, but the word would not be used. The proposal would not require schools to buy new textbooks omitting the word evolution and would not prevent teachers from using it. "

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

And you, out of curiosity, are you smoking weed ?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
oops. wow im on a roll today.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

Why does it say paper jam, when there is no paper jam?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

always. do you have a point?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   

to me.

since you don't seem to want to answer, i'll just direct this to the people who disbelieve darwins theories, the majoriity of which just happen to be religious.

this concept is flawed. to accept it would be to accept that because there is no currently existing physical evidence of gods existance, then the theory of his existance is just wrong.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The teacher brings up a good point:

They're going to be missing how that integrates with the rest of biology. They may not understand how evolution explains the antibiotic resistance in bacteria."

...among other things.

This sounds like a step back in time, a slap in the face of those scientists who work diligently to prove Darwin's theory every day. Because it hasn't been proven completely yet means diddly. Has creationism been proven yet? Okay then. They are going to be teaching Darwins idea but they aren't going to be using the word HE used to describe HIS OWN theory?

Maybe they should leave out the word creationism for all the atheists in school and call it "the theory that a devine power, who we haven't proven the existence of yet, built everything from the depths of His own mind."

Cyberpilot ain't smoking weed, if he/she was they'd see how retarded this degeneration of scientific time/effort/work is. I honestly hope no other states follow suit with this, it's an insult to all those who have poured their time and energy into trying to ground the theory as fact.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
actually, ultra_pheonix asked me if i was smoking weed. but back on topic, i agree wholeheartedly.
thanks for the incite, insite

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Man, I thought Georgia was full of inbred country bumpkins before. This is just stupid. What's next? Are they going to stop teaching children that the Earth revolves around the Sun? What a bunch of religious zelots. I live in Utah though, we can't be too far behind.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Is anyone relly surprised. I mean, look at the state we're talking about.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   

to me.

Why? Do you actually want you kids to have a second class education?

Do you think that schools should teach �creationism?�

If so, and if I lived in Georgia, then I would have to insist that the �creationism� curriculum also include the all creation myths

Fortunately for me, I don�t live in Georgia.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join