It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone on here race?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I dont mean bench racing either. Im into drag racing and slowly getting into autocross and I was just wondering if anyone else here actually does it. I spend alot of time and money in the garage and was just lookin to see if anyone else had the same interest and would like to discuss it. Personally Ive seen a best of 9.99 in the quater. Looking to go deeper into the 9s or just into the 9s regularly as this sofar has been a one time effort unfortunately.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
come on homie. if you're in the 9's, you gotta post what you got yo

pics or a rundown or somethin....

a buddy of mine used to have a grand national that was in the 9's

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
They say that for every tenth second improvement in ET, the money could be spent to feed 150 starving children in third world countries for a month.

I have got nothing else to say about it, just thought I would throw that out there!

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kenpachi

Scan that ticket and I'll believe you. I ran a 13.9 locally at a Utah elevation. I had a '91 Mustang 5.0, True ram air, pulleys, A/C eliminator, full exhaust, B and M shift kit, and 3:73 rear end, on BF's.. And no one could really touch me with the exception of a few Camaros, firebirds, Turbo civic with a b18 pushing 16 and motor work. and a disgusting 240sx.

I'm on to stickier things with my Subaru..

Last street legal dude that ran a 9.9 was a dude in a turbo charged Civic hatch.. 540 horsepower, totally stripped..

I'll believe it when I see it..

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues

Scan that ticket and I'll believe you. I ran a 13.9 locally at a Utah elevation. I had a '91 Mustang 5.0, True ram air, pulleys, A/C eliminator, full exhaust, B and M shift kit, and 3:73 rear end, on BF's.. And no one could really touch me with the exception of a few Camaros, firebirds, Turbo civic with a b18 pushing 16 and motor work. and a disgusting 240sx.

I'm on to stickier things with my Subaru..

Last street legal dude that ran a 9.9 was a dude in a turbo charged Civic hatch.. 540 horsepower, totally stripped..

I'll believe it when I see it..

lol Last street legal was a civic. Jeez, you do realize for a civic to push that much hp on boost or NA race gas is require due to detonation no longer making it a street car? Well I will find the ticket and take a photo for you.

But on the questions of what I run and so forth I have a long detailed account of what it took to get into the 9s for those interested.

Started off with a 2002 WS6. Ran 13.6 stock, enjoyed it, but wanted to go a lil faster nothing too crazy. Long tubes, true duals. 13.3 with drag radials, some improvement but more noise than anything real.

Fuddle 3800 Stall 2.5 STR although it flashed 3.0STR on the dyno not sure what was going on there. 15.6 on street tires. 12.8 the fallowing week with radials. Hazaa I was in the 12s. Car is running good owning up on the street from light to light, no real street racing I enjoy my driving privileges.

So onward and upward to lower ETs. btw these numbers are best as I can remember the only slip I kept from the begining days of the car is the 15.6 cause no one believed it.

So my friend suggests I cam the car, gotta sound meaner cam will do it. So I call up Texas Speed after hearing several sound clips and reading reviews I want the TSP MS3 237/242 .603"/.609 with a 113 LSA those are the cam specs for anyone interested in duplicating the recipe. I wont go into the finite details as it gets long and boring but pushrods and springs had to go in along with a host of other parts that I was not thinking about. In short cam install ran 1400$, so spending that much I decided ported LS6 heads were a must since I was going all out... Or so I thought. HP improvement over bolt ons was from 336rwhp to 411rwhp, then turns out my tune was bad car was running too rich, retuned to 378rwhp not the magic number i was hoping for.

Car runs mid 12s still spinning like crazy. Not too happy. QA1 drag shocks, LCAs, and drag springs are added along with subframe connectors. Car rides like ass on the street but performance with an 11.6. Go for another round hopping for something lower and boom goes the 10bolt. Thought it would go sooner but nope, lasted fairly long. A season goes by and the car sits due to work restraints and just being somewhat dissatisfied with the blowing all of my money. BTW read the rules and regs of your local drag strip cause brokenness no with standing I wouldve gotten kicked off for running 11s without the proper safety equipment.

GF leaves me do to finding a much wealthier male and I decide I have free money again and in goes a moser 12 with 4.10s. Also a set of slicks and skinnies because now its more than a street car. Although still runs on pump gas and still gets close to 20mpg highway. The wonders of the LS series.

Being cheap I decided to look for power the easy way. I gut the hell out of the car. Leather out the door, plop in two racing seats which are not comfortable at all, bumper supports gone, basically anything that wasnt needed to drive the car was gone.

Get a 10.86 out of her after that then plop goes the trans. Of course at this point in time the car is legal for the strip. Cage, safety loop etc. So plop goes the trans at 10s... Call up FLP and review my options. TH400 will be the strongest but wont have OD which...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Will leave me not too friendly on the street as I did enjoy cruising the car on the weekends and whenever someone had something to say about my daily driver. They tell me they can hook me up with a beefy 4L60E that will not explode with my current set up. Cool deal I suppose, might as well pay for it if I got it this far. So Ive seen 10s and I kinda wanna see 9s if at all possible, my budget says no way bud... My motor was probably thinking the same thing as most stock bottom end LS1s seem to go at about 550hp. So I look at ways to tempt fate. New gf says dont go crazy with that thing you'll kill yourself. I agree. 150hp Dry shot to the air box should be not too crazy. Cold plugs and dyno tuning. Car pushes over 400rwhp my magic number. Back to the strip. Spray and close to the same ETs without spray. Something is up... Again round two, car slaps the wall after the 60ft mark and ruins the driver side rear fender. Why was I running the same ET though with 150shot? Apparently according to FLP the MAF sensor got caked up and wasnt functioning properly. So a new MAF was installed after body work made the car right again. This time I decide to opt for the power ring rather than spraying dry into the air box, this sprays right at the TB and opt for a 250shot because a 250 has to be better than 150. This is where the 9.99 comes in along with a host of new problems. Hyper pistons do not like spray, so I end up with useless bottom end... The heads are given away to a friend and the cam is trashed. Sale is currently pending on the rolling chasis, if it falls through I plan on parting her out. I wanna go a safer route this time as far as hp and drivability. So I picked up a 94 Mustang GT for 2,000$ and a dart 331 short block for 5800$, planning on going boosted. I will post pics soon, right now Im out of town working but decided to take some time to reply in as much detail as possible for anyone wanting to blow up their car or runs 10s safely.

Before this car, I ran a 2003 STI, torque steer wasnt fun and the car performed less than I wouldve liked in the snow.

93 Mustang GT. Bolt ons F cam, GT40 heads. 4.10s and a 5 speed. Fun car sold to my brother to ram it into a tree.

01 Cobra, too expensive and too young at the time, sold to benefit my pocket.

93.5 Supra NA slow turd. Looked cool though.

94 Prelude Si. again slow turd but I liked the looks and gas economy, just didnt like getting wasted by stock mustangs.

I also have a 1967 Fire bird and 68 malibu both are projects and should be thrown in the junkyard to save time but Im crazy so it works. Firebird has a 396BBC but have a 427BBC yanked out of a 69 vette I believe... for it. The bu is a 68 non SS with a 350SBC and 350 trans.

I'll get some pics of those next time Im out in Chicago they're in a building up there along with some pics of my other projects. I have a 2000 Z28 which is basically modded up indentically to my WS6 cept its street and has an interior and a 3.42 gear. So basically toned down with the same engine combo. My daily is a 99 Gran Prix GTP which I plan on selling for something better on gas.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
They say that for every tenth second improvement in ET, the money could be spent to feed 150 starving children in third world countries for a month.

I have got nothing else to say about it, just thought I would throw that out there!

The TA cost me the same price to build as buying a new one back in 02 so I dont think I affected any starving children. Probably less I believe total investment was under 22k so Im doing my part. I also teach a free art class at my local library for children

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
well by the looks of things youve had a history of nice cars and you say most of them were slow so either you dont know how to mod your car or your driving sucks

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
been around drag racing since i was born. A buddy of mine has a pro mod running 4.10's in the 8th and 6.40s in the quarter with a powerglide and nitrous with a 738 buck engine. Drag racing and astronomy are my main hobbys. I got a nova running 10s in the quarter but only do 8th mile bracket racing.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
My 32 @ Kingman, Arizona airport. (1/8 mile - 85 mph on an accurate speedometer, no clocks.)

Top end.

Little Brother @ Famoso Dragstrip (Bakersfield, California)

166 mph @ 8.13 seconds

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Yaa--Buddy!!
This is firedrake. I don't quarter, I'm more of the top-end road rally type. I build for handling at high speeds. Remember H.P. is a derivitive torque, and you need torque to get your wheels up and movin'.
If you're pullin 9's in the quarter, I'm guessing you've done some serious weight, HP, and suspension mods yourself. I hope you're not one of these guys that totally rely on chips to make your speed.
I'm glad to see the spirit isn't dead.
Catch you on the flip-side.

top topics

join