It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staying in a tent for about a month....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Cool thread Ice Man, thanks for sharing. I think your aunt is a wise sweetheart. She’s helping you out while allowing you to learn from your mistakes. Make sure you show your appreciation. Personally, I think you’re lucky to be doing this in the winter, particularly way down south. I’d much rather be a little chilly than trying to sleep in a sweat.

Too late now, but if you could have afforded another $40 on a tent you could have gotten a larger one with the covered entry way that drains away from the tent. It makes a great spot to take off wet stuff, as well as a place to shower. Speaking of which, you can get a shower bag at WM for $10 that’s made of black plastic so it heats up quick in the sun. The only other things I haven’t heard suggested are an air mattress, and since you’ve got juice, a small space heater (be careful). As others have suggested, you might want to think about doing this for a few months to build up an emergency fund.

Looks like you’re going to get the rain we’ve had all day today in TX. It’s just slow and steady though, nothing but a step for a stepper. Looking forward to hear how you’re getting along.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
img209.imageshack.us... .......click on this link for image....this is what i'd do Ice....but i always put trampoline springs at the top of the poles & tie rope to them...that way the whole structure can bend with the wind instead of tearing....another cheap tarp the same size as the other fixed above ur tent will give u shelter on all sides or even better on 3 sides, so u have a bigger roof out front of ur door....u can buy cheap tent accessories, poles, springs, ropes & tent pegs....i use cut down star steel fence posts.............GB

[edit on 25-11-2007 by dave7]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well, last night, there was a hellacious rainstorm... My tent held up well, it stayed bone dry and my electronics in the tent as with everything else, is fine. However, the door was a problem- at first, I tried to just leave the tarp rolled up around the door, but then everytime I wanted to get in or out, or just open it a little to smoke a cigarette, rain came in. Then I tried just staying put inside, but even when I unzipped a little for ventilation, again rain came in..... Then I tried unrolling the tarp from around the door a little, but once rain collected on top of it, it fell downwards, and the rain it was holidng, came in. Finally, I totally unrolled the tarp from around the door, and let it fall to the ground- but now my problem was having no fresh air coming in to breath..... What I wound up doing, was in the middle of the rainstorm, I ran and got a rake, and kind up propped it up between the edge of my tent door and the tarp, so it made a kind of inverse V shape. This kept the rain from coming in, and also allowed for fresh air.
See picture:
i115.photobucket.com...

What I went through last night, made me realize that it is absolutely essential, to have some kind of a structure over the door of the tent, so that you can get in and out and get ventilation without getting the inside of the tent wet. There's just really no way to do it - the damps that get in combined with the cold just cannot be good for health.... I am going to have to figure out some kind of way to build a vestibule for this tent with a tarp and whatever else is needed, soon like- before the next rains come in. Also, I realized that though I had prepared the tent for rain (excepting the door) I hadn't really prepared myself - I don't even have a rainjacket, and I got soaked last night.... I am going to have to get some more gear, if I am going to make this work. I don't mind suffering some hardship, but without the proper gear, I could wind up sick with pnuemonia or some #- a place I don't want to be. Humans are so poorly equipped to live in the environment compared to animals - I never noticed just how weak people are compared to other creatures - we are basically naked, with no natural insulation, nothing to keep us warm or dry, skin against the elements- not a very hardy constitution...

Anyways, I am glad that my tent held up well and dryly, except the door-which was my fault and will be rectified. This morning when I woke up, the rains had died but it was still overcast and dreary. It wasn't paticularly cold, but I still wanted to make a fire. A few days ago, I gathered some wood and a little kindling and wrapped it in a plastic sheet, in case I ever wanted to make a fire after it'd been raining, I'd have a small dry wood stock. I was pleased to see that the wood inside the sheeting was still dry, so I took it over to where I make fire, which had alot of water soaked logs, and carefully I was able to get the dry wood burning, and over time it dried and began to burn the wet wood - within an hour, I had a good fire going. Once I had fire, it seemed to warm me spiritually, since I did not need it physically, and I felt more like cleaning up camp and assesing things. My food container around back of my tent and got a little water in it, so I dried it out, and cut a peice of plastic sheeting to go over it- that should do it. My toolbox, which I thought was waterproof, also had water in it, so I had to dump out all my tools, tomorrow after the sun dries them, I will reorganize them, and again, it'll be a peice of plastic to go over them, as well. Other than that, things looked ok - no water had collected in the tarping folded up towards the sides of my tent, and everything was still bricked down in place. If the tent can make it through last night's rainstorm, it can make it through any rainstorm. (see next post)

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Like ur rake vestibule Ice....all it needed was a spring,rope & stake to hold it out & down to the ground..the rake was ur pole...very well done bro...proud of u....another option if too cold to leave like that is to get another tarp exactly the same & place it over the tent exactly the same (making another 'Layer' thickness...but instead of tucking this one into the door frame, make the same vestibule & tie it down as described above...use one of the tarp EYE-LETS & position it in the middle outside edge of the vestibile...then instead of a rake use a cheap adjustable tent pole...push rod end of it through the eye-let in tarp & put spring over that...then tie rope to spring & stake down...pole can be verticle if spring, rope, stake is used...& this will give u more space at tent door....also u should be able to make this vestibule LARGER than ur first proto type simply by not using as much of the tarp at the back of the tent......now if u can just kick the smoking addiction u'll be rich
.....................GB

[edit on 26-11-2007 by dave7]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Sounds like the rain was a lot harder there than here. Not too surprising since you’re right on the coast. Glad to hear that you came through OK. A couple of things come to mind. Make use of your car to store things that you can’t keep in the tent but need to keep dry(like tools). Short term, I wouldn’t worry about the ventilation issue. If it’s raining for a week, then yes you’re going to need plenty, but you could have closed everything up for the night and been fine last night, IMO.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
So anyways, after i'd got a fire going, cleaned up things and made a few improvements, my girlfriend came over and brought me an omellet and some rice- it was good, and hot! As I was eating next to the fire, the sun came out- everything sure felt warm, and it was odd thinking how last night I was soaked and cold. I was thinking "the sun is your friend, the damps and cold, your enemy". Wednesday when I get some cash, i'm gonna go get a tarp and whatever tools I need, and somehow figure out how to build a vestibule- it's essential. Also i'm gonna get a raincoat, some work gloves, and a few other things. Once I have a few more things I need and a couple more things set up, hopefully i'll be in a position to make it out here until I can get the hell out of here. I don't ind hardship, and I am thanful for what i'm learning, but I look forward to again having an apartment or house.... I really have no other place to go now, so if I wanna live, I have to make this work- with the right gear and setup, I think I can make it till I can get into a better situation.

Dave, thanks for the tips on the vestibule, I'll be using them as a guideline when I go to build one in a few days.

Resistor, I didn't know I could've closed up this tent and had enough oxygen, I have this fear of suffocating in my sleep, never having known it... thanks for your input.

It's strange, i've only been out here a few weeks but I am noticing some changes in my attitude. In one respect i'm a bit more peaceful, but i'm also quick to anger very hotly if someone is irritating me- I don't have the reserve I usually do.... My girlfriend wants to have piddly fights like we usually do, but I told her, fighting, or anything else, is coming in a far second right now, that my first priority is keeping dry and warm, the rest I don't care about.... she just doesn't get it, and neither does anyone else- I am finding that extremely irritating. Just because I am behind my aunt's house, doesn't mean, this is an extended camping trip- my aunt doesn't let me in for days and days at a time- it's either this tent, or the salvation army, and there's no way i'm going there. I guess this is the time to show some inner strength, and try to deal with people in a friendly, relaxed manner as best I can, even though this lifestyle is quickly forging character traits within me that are far from those things. But tomorrow's another day- I'm exhausted from fighting the rains last night and from the cleanup etc today, so maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

Thanks again guys for the advice and discussion

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Hey Ice....not a problem.....this hard testing will help u become a better person...ur already starting to take a deep look at urself...& i feel the same way as u about the Sun (Grandfather)...He has been giving me all my electricty for over 20 years...when he shines i have heaps of power & is usually a cue for me to wash & dry my clothes...His warmth shines through my windows & warms me passively...u didn't really need to 'fight' with the rain that night as u now know....if fact the ones who fight nature/creation suffer for it & many perish...because She is far stronger than any of us....however there are NO mistakes, ALL meant to be...u would have learnt heaps from that 'DRAMA'....the vestibule doing...wonderful success...brought out the best in u...like i said way back...u'll become more 'aware'...tent walls are thin & u hear everything...that rain would have been noisy
....u out there bro...ur in the REAL world...& then Grandfather Sun's warmth FEELING/AWAKENING...wonderful....bro ur having a HEALING done....the anger is just ur ego pissed off because ego's always think 'MORE' of themselves...ur reminding me of Tom Hanks in the movie Castaway, when he finially got back & realized how 'easy' everything was & how others didn't understand....u & i both know ur talented & resourceful....& u'll do exactly whatever u put ur mind too...the more u 'RELAX' & really get into surviving well in ur shelter, customizing it as u go..& seeing it as a challenge & adventure which will bring out the best in u...the more u'll get back into 'HARMONY' with Creation....& the more u will enjoy the experience....& eventually u can learn to actually 'enjoy' the rain as much as the Sun...all free gifts....try catching some rain water...boy is it good...leaves most house water for dead....u just saw it as ur enemy, when it is really one of our most important friends/blessings we've been given...& it helped u to be creative & get that vestibule happening....it also 'PROVED' ur shelter job for u & taught u what other gear u need...u just freaked a bit
...which is alot funnier if it's not happening to u...but hey, u had a huge win bro....ur even helpin me....how?.....hell i can't wait to go campin again
...i'm dreamin of a wilderness walk/holiday in a beautiful wild remote place...as a famous wildlife photographer once said...[" we don't go out into the wilderness to 'get away', we go to 'come home'..."].....GB

[edit on 27-11-2007 by dave7]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I’d try to get the girlfriend to stay with you a night the next time the weather is good. Might help her relate a bit. Sell it like an adventure or something you know? Keep your chin up.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
resistor, thanks for the thoughts- i am thinking, there's a good chance that she and i might break up. we've always fought for 4 years, the worst fights ive ever had with a girlfriend in my 33 years. why we're even still together i have no clue. anyways, my situation is amplyfying our problems, and it has got to the point where she is dicking me around about things. she knows im pretty much broke right now, and she'll call me and say, ok, tonight i'll come over and bring you some food and a soda, i know you havent eaten much in a day or 2. then she just wont show up.

honestly, i am getting to where i could care less- id rather break up with her, be alone, and survive the best i can, rather than to get dicked around and played games with by someone i have never really gotten along with well anyway.... just to think i was 29 when i met her - now im 33, thinking back about all that fighting, arguing, bad feelings etc - though it's hard to look at one's self from the outside, i know i am not the guy i once was, the guy i was when i was still in my late 20s and had not known what it was like to be in a 4 year relationship that consisted primarily of arguments 3-4 days out of the 7 day week.

im about to tell her to go # herself- id rather sit here in the woods and half starve, than to deal with her bull# any more....

aside from that, thanks again to everyone who's advised me, i appreciate it

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Iceman I admire your courage and I am praying for you.
I find it amazing that your own relatives (or girlfriend's) cannot help a man in need.

See it as a fantaastic experience and never lose hope

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I think that your aunt is doing you a favor in the long run - you are learning a lot about yourself, your relationship with your girlfriend, and what you want to do in the future.

I think I would only use the extension cord to keep your laptop powered up since you can use the wireless - and if you have a cell phone to keep it powered too (and be sure not to use it over your monthly limits to save money) I really wouldn't use it for heat (that could be really expensive and your aunt could say no extension cord after getting her next bill)

One thing I thought of when I saw your pictures is I would get some kind of stretchy cord to keep your coolers closed well so nothing decides to get in them - and as someone else mentioned it might be a great time to give up smoking - just think of how much more you could save - and you wouldn't have to go out in the rain to smoke ...

I would also keep a detailed journal on your computer - like I said once before maybe you could use it later on to reflect on the time or even write some articles for magazines or the newspapers for some extra cash. Keep a positive attitude - it will help so much - and as another poster said don't fight Mother Nature - learn to live with her on her terms - it means you have to be prepared (as you seem to be and you are learning what modifications to make) and you also have to be flexible.

Sounds like you are doing pretty well - hang in there -- btw - the girlfriend calling and saying she will do something then not doing it - tacky! - don't bother to call and offer if you aren't going to do it.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ice_Man

Hmmmm..... I'm the last person to be giving advice on personal relationships, being a confirmed bachelor and largely a loner type, but maybe this is a good time for you to 'get to know yourself'. Your age is usually a time of transition in life, I know it was for me. You can grow a lot when you fast, whether it is from food, sex or anything else. Anything you remove from your life for a time, you gain perspective on.

BTW, I think you're doing a hell of a job under the circumstances.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hi Ice,
Enjoyed your posts and pics!
I was camping in a wall tent part of a week in hunting season here in AK. It was pretty windy, rainy and cold. The tent was tightly covered with a tarp and no rain water came in but it was constantly damp and chilly. So we tryed burning a propane stove in the tent to warm it, which it did. But that just made it more damp inside. There was enough ventilation that we could deal with it but but the ventilation took the heat away.
The only way to heat our tent and not get wet in the process was to start up an old oil burner stove that had a stovepipe to exhaust the burner. We would have used it but we would have had make a hole in the tent roof for the stack resulting in a permanent hole and a constant source of leaking. It wasn't our tent so we couldn't.
Some people live their entire lives in situations about like you have there. It is just a matter of constantly adapting, coping and upgrading so you stay comfortable. I was thinking I would save that 20 degree sleeping bag for summer and buy a winter camping model. Nothing like being nice and comfy in spite of the cold when you zip it up! A surplus down arctic type might feel good come January!

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
[edit on 4-12-2007 by orgyofthedead]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
i had a girlfriend once like that...it was only sex (orgasmic addiction) that kept us together so long...i was very dumb back then...too many healthy relationships out there....nothing like a good stuff up to learn a good lesson....second the good sleeping bag advice 'again'...just remember to SUBTRACT 10 degrees for a 'true' rating....doesn't matter how cold it gets out there if u can take shelter in a comfortable warm bag...(survival capsule).....GB

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
well, one month became 7 months, i put in that time and have now moved on- anyone have any questions? i may or may not decide they are worth answering

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
OK good to see you came out the other side in tact! I'd really love to hear what are your top 10 tips for staying comfortable and relaxed and sane under that scenario?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well I hope the mods who see that may finally take pity on my long standing request for more than 10 ignores.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hey Ice, great to see that you made it through.
I remember this thread way back and wondered what was up.
Did you wind up keeping a journal? I'd be interested in an update from late year.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join