It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA backs Egypts nuclear power programm

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

USA backs Egypts nuclear power programm

rawstory.com

The White House on Monday said it had little information about Egypt's plans to relaunch its nuclear power program but declared itself "generally supportive" of civilian atomic power.

"I don't know a lot about it. In general, we are supportive of countries pursuing civil nuclear energy. It's clean burning. It provides electricity in a clean-burning and affordable way for citizens," said spokeswoman Dana Perino.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The U.S. has no objections to this muslim country, that neigbours isreal, to have a nuclear program.

Apparently the U.S. really sees only Iran and N.Korea as major threats. Or they have some buddy-system going with egypt about the Giza Pyramids. Or its simply because Egypt has always been closer to the west than others. Or the U.S. only has something to gain with Iran. Or dozens of other reasons that come to mind.

rawstory.com

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
wow, thats pretty supprising. I would have thought that they wouldnt support that type of thing in a country in the middle east... but then what do we know about the US govt and their workings.

-fm

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Correct me if Im wrong....but I believe Egypt has never posed a threat - meaning...they have never threatened the lives of other countrys. Iran has. BIG difference.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Isn't it Egypt we wanted to take over back around the 6 day war Israel had??

This makes a lot of nonsense........

We they back Egypt so in a few month we can say they are going to nuke us and then go after them..

Interesting..

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Correct me if Im wrong....but I believe Egypt has never posed a threat - meaning...they have never threatened the lives of other countrys. Iran has. BIG difference.

then again Iran hasnt invaded another country
unlike another and im not talking about Egypt

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

The U.S. has no objections to this muslim country, that neigbours isreal, to have a nuclear program.

rawstory.com

If you want to put anti-American spin on this, that is not the way to do it. If anything(puts on conspiracy hat), this is happening to show the rest of the Muslim world that America will not treat them like they treat Iran, so long as the cooperate.

In regards to my bolding, do you mean to intend America categorizes countries based on religion, or do you? If you do indeed categorize a country based on religion, it fosters ignorance by providing too little information about the state on which to base your stance on it. Assuming any state would function like that is pretty ridiculous as well.

Anyways,
Israel's stance will most likely not follow Washington's on this one, could be interesting to watch. How will this affect their unified stance on other issues in the region?

[edit on 30-10-2007 by WuTang]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by WuTang

In regards to my bolding, do you mean to intend America categorizes countries based on religion, or do you? If you do indeed categorize a country based on religion, it fosters ignorance by providing too little information about the state on which to base your stance on it. Assuming any state would function like that is pretty ridiculous as well.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by WuTang]

I am neither putting an anti-american nor an anti-muslim spin on this. I realize that some believe that the U.S. wants to eradicate Islam, but this is not an idea I subscribe to...nor is it an idea supported by this news item.

This piece of news leaves me ambivalent.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
In fact, its undecided if this can be taken as good news or bad news or neutral news. Any ideas?

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
So...

The US is tacitly supporting a country that actually tried to overrun Israel in getting nuclear power.

And yet its actively trying - possibly to the point of war - to prevent Iran from doing the same.

There's a large element of hypocrisy there, don't you think?

I think this is a good point to direct people to here

American Conspiracy: Why Does the World Hate Us? - Is The Hate Planned or Earned?

[edit on 31/1007/07 by neformore]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
www.iaea.org...

read the above and you will understand

Egypt (and south africa) have completed a work plan - which is the stage Iran is now at - once completed (the work plan) then the IAEA is satisfied about the safeguards for nuclear power - and other than the odd inspection (which btw a certain middle eastern country has threatened to kill IAEA inspectors and no thats not Iran) can merryily go ahead.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I personally think this is good policy from the US. Egypt although a Middle East state is stable and democratic. Working together with the Egyptians will maximise security over the program and also, more importantly, shows to the rest of the world that the US does support open, civilian nuclear programs.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I believe its good policy in the sense that every country has the right to create energy and welfare for themselves.

I dont see why any country would need the U.S. permission in the first place.

On the other hand...doesnt islamic thought forbid nuclear energy?

And if it does...why are the U.S. claiming that Iran means evil with it, and why is egypt going ahead with it?

Furthermore: This is not the first instance that the U.S. has been very friendly with Egypt. For believers of the idea that the greatest treasures of mankind are still to be unearthed beneath the Giza Plateau it would be understandable why we want Egypt as an ally.

Or the U.S. are honest in granting any innocent country nuclear energy. Or they are only doing it to calm down critics.

This little piece of news leaves me confused.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Let's also not forget Brazils nuclear program which is at a much further stage than Iran's. The US has not opposed this at all, infact it has welcomed it. South Africa too. Maybe there actually is more to the Iran program than "peaceful" civilian use...

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by patrickbateman
Let's also not forget Brazils nuclear program which is at a much further stage than Iran's. The US has not opposed this at all, infact it has welcomed it. South Africa too. Maybe there actually is more to the Iran program than "peaceful" civilian use...

Well, these programs arent as hyped up as Irans. Judging from this it would seem that Iran might just really be "the bad guys".

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
So...

The US is tacitly supporting a country that actually tried to overrun Israel in getting nuclear power.

And yet its actively trying - possibly to the point of war - to prevent Iran from doing the same.

There's a large element of hypocrisy there, don't you think?

There is no hypocrisy here, since the U.S. has supported Egypt for years since they made peace and recognized Israel, which Iran has yet not. The U.S. provided weapons and training for Egypt's military, especially hi tech weapons that could be a match against Israel. But this was to make sure Egypt does not feel threaten to have a powerful Israel with all the big guns.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So all Iran would have to do is recognize Isreal, and they would probably have their nuclear program up and running in no time.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
i believe iran is a proxy against russia. alot of the meddling we did in iran decades ago was about curbing soviet power and about oil, and i think that hasnt changed. I'm almost certain the US is planning another operation ajax. The US is already supporting terrorist groups opposed to the current iran leadership.(MEK, Jundullah) The goal isnt just stopping the nuclear program, the goal is a coup to have a pro US leader in another oil producing state. We have every opec country as friendly except, iran and venezuela. (and they are evil.
)

the coming wars over energy are just starting, the US is just moving more chess pieces currently.

and when it comes to israel, i think there is some imperialism in their minds as well, and they need potential resistance neutralized. i will note that most if not all anti-iran rhetoric coming out of washington is coming from neoconservative members of pro israel lobby groups, and people adhering to their ideals to keep their job and not be labeled anti semetic.. etc. (ie. Generals, and presidental candidates)
i have a really hard time believing that israel doesnt envision a "greater israel" given the fact that most arab-israeli wars were conducted with an israeli "surprise attack" or "pre-emptive attack" and the fact that some conquered lands that israel says is a buffer zone to protect its citizens is occupied by israelis. if they want a buffer, why move and settle closer to the enemy? Having iran neutralized cuts off a large part of arab resistance to israeli actions. (Hezbollah) The mutual benefit is why the war drum beats so loud for iran but egypt gets the thumbs up.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by turbokid]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Although i agree with many of your points i feel it necessary to counter your argument concerning all "anti-iran" comments coming from neo-conservatives. Why is it so unbelievable that people may have grave concerns about Iran that aren't "hawks" or "neo-cons". I think when it comes to international proliferation and nuclear programs, trust is a vital element. How can the Iranian regime be trusted, they kept this program under wraps for 2 decades, threaten neighbouring states, restrict inspectors and sponsor terrorist organisations!

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I agree with greeneyedleo' point of view. I really don't see the light with your pulling in the dark -- again re Iran (again), Their camel chips.

Dallas

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join