It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solanum: Real or Fake?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
so this has been on my mind for awhile so what are your thoughts on Solanum if you dont know what that is its a virus it is believed to be a virus that creates Zombies so I dont know if this is the right section for it in my studies it says the virus was "Discovered" by a doctor whose name I cannot remember. The quotes tell me that he was probably infected which i doubt because it can only be passed down from infected so what are your thoughts on this virus

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Solanum is the name of the zombie-creating virus from the Zombie Survival Guide. It is entirely fictional, as that is a fictional book.

However:

That's not to say that zombies are fictional, or will always be fictional. That's not to say that a virus similar to solanum couldn't be mutating right now. And that's not to say that the Zombie Survial Guide doesn't give some pretty good tips on how to survive undead pandemic.

But as it stands, the ZSG is a work of fiction, and there are no known zombism-inducing viruses. Zombies will most likely always remain fictional. Still, the book is a good read
. As fiction.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
As far as i can tell, the only real place on earth where something like that could possibly evolve/mutate is deep-sea.

In which case, it's extremily unlikely that a land-based outbreak would occur.

Not to scare you or anything, but let's just say it's highly unlikely that zombies will ever walk the earth.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
but if there is a virus im just gonna call it Solanum for now till we get a real name oh and im gonna try to reanimate a body

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Don't play with the dead or do anything that may anger spirits. The mind is a tool with innumerable powers, most of which we don't know about, and we don't know WHO we'll piss off if we do something like that.

And yeah Throbber, that's basically what I was trying to get across, undead pandemic is HIGHLY unlikely.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
yes but still possible just not likely to happen but it can and ive been messing with the dead for years

[edit on 26-10-2007 by theghosthorsman]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by theghosthorsman
yes but still possible just not likely to happen but it can and ive been messing with the dead for years

If nothing else you should leave them alone out of respect. The zombie survival guide was nothing more than a humorous take on surviving situation X.

Although, I don't know everything and there's no way to say that zombie's don't exist. For the time being, however, there is no such known virus.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I think you probably can create a virus that can turn you into a zombie and others. Thankfully, this kind of virus hasn't spreaded or perhaps hasn't created yet. But damn, imagine if that case happened. Earth would be dead.

For example, Resident Evil movie series. I've watched only one and it was very well interesting to watch.

It's all about biology and science, my friend.

[edit on 27-10-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

It's all about biology and science, my friend.

You're right, it is, and both tell us that a virus can't create an army of roving, mindless zombies.

What makes you so sure this would be a virus? The human body isn't capable of functioning without oxygen and a beating heart. The basic design of the human body: muscles, ligaments and tendons cannot function without those basic life processes. Simple coordination, thought..even instinct..would cease to exist without some kind of body function. Zombies may be possible, but I highly doubt it'll be the result of some virus gone bad.

[edit on 10/27/2007 by JBurns]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
As an earlier poster said that is fictional. But if you are curious in Zombies and Haitian Voodoo check out the book entitled The Serpent and the Rainbow. It is very informative.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Might happen. A simple version would probably be a surgical operation or a virus that will travel through the bloodstream to the brain, and destroy all the areas that support civilized life, inclding erasing memory and limiting function to one or a few instincts, which would probably be eating... maybe mating...
but if you can change the instincts to make a human crave for blood, yeah, that would be deadly, especially if DNACM (dna controlled mutation) would be made real someday

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
perhaps no such virus under the nam of solanum exists, however I wouldent be surprised if a similar virus exists. Personally everything that the author said should be taken with a grain of salt and should not be completely debunked. I can think of many scenario's where zombie attacks could be plauable.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
well i think that zombies could in fact exist because in our earths ecosystem, we all do 1 thing, survive, and i do believe that it is possible for just 1 virus or and other single celled thing could in fact evolve into a virus of some sort that can go into the brain and destroy most instincts and leave us with normal body functions and the need for oxygen and food. Say a small..................parasite that lives in the ocean is being killed by humans because it is being killed and or eaten by them so the parasite evolves enough so that when the humans come in contact with it, it can turn them into a "zombie." So I think i could have a chance at surviving a "zombie" outbreak and even though scary at least would love the satisfaction of breaking the skull of a zombie and watching its contents spill into a heap of zombie goop.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Personally i think yeah the book is fictional, but why would a guy out of the blue write about outbreaks of this virus and give specific dates.
Maybe there is some truth about what he has written.

for starters it could be possible with technology nowadays and the looney scientists i mean they built that machine in sweden (the higs bosen) who knows what scientists could be working on now.

My tip is take some tips out of the book just in case and have a plan.
Especially form things such as Resident Evil.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
As already mentioned, the solanum virus is from the Zombie Survival Guide. Solanum is also a term to describe a kind of plant.

I don't understand how the concept of zombies makes any sense. I don't understand how a dead body would become reanimated and I certainly don't understand why they would attack and eat other people--what use could they possibly have for eating flesh? As far as I know, corpses don't need food.

Unless they're just angry and rage makes people want to eat flesh and brains without death and reanimation... in which case, the consumption of flesh still doesn't make sense to me, but the attacking clicks.

So... I'm thinking (and hoping) that zombies are and always will be fictional.

But then there's the zombie relating to voodoo but I really can't say a lot about that. I'm pretty sure, however, that any revival that may be part of this kind of zombie is not due to any virus.

[edit on 7/1/09 by xhorrorgasmx]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Here's the bottom Line, Solanum is Fake, but it is possible for something similar to Solanum to infect us humans. Also, there are many scenarios where things similar to zombies could happen.. take for example, a very contagious type of rabies for humans, which I, personally, am more worried about that happening.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Yeah, and basically I don't think it's possible to reanimate the dead in such a way that it would want to just feed on living tissue of humans only.

In saying that, horrorgasm, we need to hang out more.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Angry Potato, I was thinking the same thing when I hopped back over to this thread.

If a corpse was reanimated, of all the things it might do... why eat flesh?

As was also mentioned above, the idea of rabies would be possible but that wouldn't involve reanimation and would involve a kind of... mania, but probably just violence as opposed to eating of flesh.

Ahh... the many things to wonder about zombies.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Yeah, tru dat, homeslice.

Not to mention, Notice how there are so many zombies? Most movies depict them as undead beings that feast on the flesh of the living. Well, ok, but if that were the case, there shouldn't be many at all, and if there are a lot, then they should hardly have flesh in the first place. It makes no sense. Do a group of them just maul on them until they're dead and then just find another "fresh" food source?

Eh, it's flawed, but if there ever was an outbreak, it would be so freaking bad ass. I'd equip myself with a hip flask full of whiskey and um...Other things. I dunno, I've never thought of it. All that comes to mind when concerning zombies is how great a drinking event it would be.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
haha If there was an outbreak, I'd be crying in my room and would probably have my brains eaten.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join