It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: High Risk Computer Virus Outbreak

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
CNET News.com A new e-mail virus, known as MyDoom, is causing havoc across the Internet this morning. The virus floods e-mail boxes using typical delivery methods of e-mail viruses, complete with random subject lines, but also contains code to flood the SCO Group's web server on February 1.

From CNET News.com: The virus--known as MyDoom, Novarg and as a variant of the Mimail virus by different antivirus companies--arrives in an in-box with one of several different random subject lines, such as "Mail Delivery System," "Test" or "Mail Transaction Failed." The body of the e-mail contains an executable file and a statement such as: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment." Vincent Gullotto (VP of Network Associates antivirus emergency response team) is quoted by CNET as classifying this as a "high-risk outbreak". The SCO Group has been a target of hackers and Linux enthusiasts everywhere, ever since it's claims about Linux. It is important that you do not open e-mail attachments you are not expecting. Virus companies are working on a definition for this new threat. ATSNN will post the links as soon as we get them. Non-windows users are not effecting by the virus code, but may still receive a flood of unwanted e-mail. Additional news coverage of this story: 'MyDoom' e-mail virus spreads fast Latest e-mail virus spreads fast Mydoom spreading as fast as Sobig [Edited on 27-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Yeah I got sent a load this morning, and they're still coming. My virus program seemed to detect them all though, and I deleted them in safe mode.

Is there anything I don't know about that I should be doing?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
we've received over 1,200 in the last 5 hours here at my work!!! here's the email we sent to our users this morning-

There is a new Virus circulating today.

Permanently delete the message by holding the shift key and the delete key at the same time.

If you only delete the message it will go into your deleted items folder and must then be deleted from there.

Possible subject lines include:

test
hi
hello
Mail Delivery System
Mail Transaction Failed
Server Report
Status
Error
Possible attachment names include:

document
readme
doc
text
file
data
test

The worm will always end with one of the following suffixes:

.pif
.scr
.exe
.cmd
.bat
.zip

be sure to update your definition files asap

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Yeah I got sent a load this morning, and they're still coming. My virus program seemed to detect them all though, and I deleted them in safe mode.

Is there anything I don't know about that I should be doing?

Delete..delete...don't open..you're doing the right thing

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt!!!!

The email scanner on my norton antivirus has been disabled, and I can't reenable it. The virus must've done this.
Does anyone know what I can do? Oh man, FUCK WINDOWS!!! I've had enough of it.

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I did get an auto update from norton last night....(dont know if 4 this virii) but my ISP has been working wonders on taking the load off my norton scanning.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
try running msconfig and turn off some of the useless crap esp. m$ fills up your tray with. That usually helps, and replace the Norton shared files. You'll find them at the Norton website. This is a common problem with Norton. Doesn't have to be this virus

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I just find it amazing people would open attachments from unknown senders. E-mail viruses are nothing new, yet people still don't get it and open these attachments. My virus program filtered all the destructive e-mails out.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oswald
I just find it amazing people would open attachments from unknown senders. E-mail viruses are nothing new, yet people still don't get it and open these attachments. My virus program filtered all the destructive e-mails out.

It's not always an unknown sender. Many of the newer viruses spoof the sender, so it often appears as if the message is coming from someone you know.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
just as well that i havent check my mails today yet and, looks like i won't be niether til my mcafee is ready and updated thanks for the warning guys

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Yeah, I forgot that, some will use addresses of people from your addresses book or other e-mails you have sent. But still, maybe it's just me, I don't go opening attachments, unless I know I was expecting something from someone. I am sure there are many unsuspecting people out there who would open attachments of this nature.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Got flooded this afternoon

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikromarius
try running msconfig and turn off some of the useless crap esp. m$ fills up your tray with. That usually helps, and replace the Norton shared files. You'll find them at the Norton website. This is a common problem with Norton. Doesn't have to be this virus

Blessings,
Mikromarius

how do I replace the norton shared files? Have you got a link, or can you walk me through it? thank you.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I was attacked yesterday 166 worms detected. Cam exactly like the news break indicated. Message said returned email to unknow sender. It hit here at work and our anti-virus picked it up and threw it away like a dirty diaper. Keep your anti-V PROGRAMS CURRENT PEOPLE!!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well, this is a nasty, nasty bug.

Free tool to stop it here!!!

This is a virus-killer program made by F-Secure. I wanted to pass it on, because it is the only free one I know of.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It literally turns your comp into a Zombie. You get it and it DoSs SCO on Febuary 1st. I dont want this virus but I think SCO deserves what they get.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Does anybody else see the irony of this? A Windows virus that is attacking SCO, who is, in a round about way, trying to end free linux. While MS is campainging to keep Windows at the top and linux at the bottom.

Might be just me, but I find it kinda funny.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yep, I'm recieving these. Luckily my Norton anti-virus is catching them.

Everybody, update your definitions!

-M.E

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Its a Windows virus for a specific reason. 90% of the worlds computers run Windows. and most of those computers are insecure. So Linux programmers who hate SCO just write a little virus to DoS SCO using the most vulnerable OS on the planet. WINDOWS. Windows is so much easier to gain control of than OS X or Linux, so it would make a valuable target for a virus to turn the comps into Zombies. They want the most computers DoSing SCO so they get the most insecure and widespread OS to do it for them.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Got two myself

If you dont open the attachment you are ok right?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join