It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: High Risk Computer Virus Outbreak

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
how do I replace the norton shared files? Have you got a link, or can you walk me through it? thank you.

I was unable to find a link, but suddenly the Auto-Protect feature stopped working, which also handles mail scan, and I had to reinstall the whole program again. But I found the link to the d/l page by following a link in a dialogue Norton showed ehen I tried to turn it on in the main window. The installer file is called "symantec symevents installer". It worked a couple of times, but in the end I went in through run and msconfig, and I simply turned off everything I never use. And it has worked fine ever since.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
but the virus is supposed to perform a DoS service attack on Feb 1. Terrorists? Related to that countdown thing everyone is talking about?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I havent opened an attachment in.....I think two years ago?!

I havent been infected since then either.

My ISP will scan w/o my permission and catches the big new popular ones and then mails a notice to me, norton does the rest, ..

It's real easy to protect yourself most of the time,...

Just dont open ANY attachments

That is...ANY attachments.

Most people dont even send them anymore (at least in my experience) , as it can get piggy backed on the way to your pc, whether it has a virii inside or not.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
got this one thismorning

"Mail Delivery System"

i thought i musthave sent an email to a wrongly typed address. i didnot open the attachment.

could my pc STILL BE INFECTED or do you have to open the attachment??

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
yes the program must be opened and the excecutable run for it to begin the damage it was designed to do, hard to believe these e-mail worms and virii still effect so many people since we've had so many already, you would think the majority of people effected in the past would now know not to open strange executables in e-mail attachments

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
thank god i didnt open it then, i have since recieved 3 more none of which i have opened.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This new worm is just nuts! The E-mail servers that I administer have intercepted 458 messages with infected attachments since 22:30 eastern time last night. It spreads even faster than last year's Sobig, and I thought that one was bad.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Oh, i just love it when windows users cry in frustration while i'm honing along nicely with Linux.
By the way no offence intended for windows users.

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by Electron]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electron
Oh, i just love it when windows users cry in frustration while i'm honing along nicely with Linux.
By the way no offence intended for windows users.

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by Electron]

you know why they do, because it's linux users who make the viruses
lol.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I don't see why they called it a "high risk", it is really just your common email worm.

Plus it's really easy to see, that few variants I saw so far, well, their executable (either message.exe or readme.exe) could be seen running right in the task manager.

I think they just sended it on a larger scale, so of course, they fooled more people into openning it.

The first mimail worm, who it is really similar, first was discovered in august 2003. But that wasn't the first auto-mailing email worm.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The problem with replicator's like this one is that the mass of email clients that get infected, cause the mail traffic to exponentially rise, flooding the mail servers.

This one is moving fast, and mail traffic will no doubt rise.

The soBig virii did the same, causing mail relays at the registrar level to get flooded, requiring many additional servers to be brought online, to proviode un-interrupted service. Several registrars reported that mail floods caused the interrupted and non-delivery of a large amount of email in a short time, many emails not being delivered to the expected recievers nor returned to the sender as undeliverable.

Hopefully this one will not be as big a problem, but

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I am using redhat linux and windows XP through vmware on my computer.

My linux side has been fine, but using outlook on the windows side has
been a problem.

I have received a few hundred virus e-mails but luckily my firewall
takes care of the problem and strips them clean.

You can go to www.trendmicro.com... to get a free scan of your
computer to help clean the infected files.

Good luck

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Norton just release a new dat update..(as of this post)

Update now if not on auto-update !!!

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
There's a new variant of Mydoom running the 'net today, Mydoom.B.

New target: Microsoft.
It also blocks access to major anti-virus sites, thereby making it impossible to download virus definitions.

For the love of all that's holy, don't open any attachments!

Link
Symantec info

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Kaspersky Labs has traced the origin of the MyDoom virus to Russia, and it is now considered the most prolific virus ever.
Link

Meanwhile, Microsoft has now issued a $250,000 reward upon capture of the virus' creator. This matches the reward put up by SCO Inc. Both companies are targets of the orginal virus and its variant.
Link

-B.

[Edited on 30-1-2004 by Banshee]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join