It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot Piece Of Metal Falls From Sky, Into Car (What is it?)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Most certainly not a "rods from god" I hate that moniker. The orbital kinetic energy weapon, labeled "rods from god" by some current administration flunky was originaly know as project crowbar.
The smaller size, envsioned as an anti armor weapon, was 2" in dia. and 4 feet long, and made of a tungsten alloy. One of these would have had enough kinetic energy to completly destroy the car and likley kill any bystanders. The larger anti-ship/bunker buster was supposed to be 4-6 in. in diameter and 6- 8 feet long.
The extreme density and thus high weight of the projectiles made the project impracticle with current orbital liffting technology. You just cant lift enough of those things into orbit to be effective. They are not guided weapons they are an area denial weapon.
Tungsten is a very hard metal by itself and Wc is extremely hard and brittle, it would not have bent like the piece of metal shown.
If the piece is steel it is an ordinary terrestrial object. There is almost no steel used in space craft, it corrodes and is to heavy.
From the very bad photos it does have the look of something that has been heated, but you cant really tell.
If it is some sort of high temp alloy, inconel or monel or stainless steel, it could be a piece of space junk. There is a size range that will get to a high enough velocity to burn during reentry till it sheds enough energy to just afll the rest of the way.
Ive seen a few transformers explode it would have to have been close enough that it. would have been the big story in the area.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
With russia and china blowing up satellites lately, I suspect it to be space junk from a blasted orbiting satellite. Looks to me as though it has stress pressure points on the curves as if forced into that curled position by a deliberate and applied force.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I still say its blasting debris. Maybe not a tamping rod but it could be anything from a piece of rebar to a crowbar left on the blast site.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Ok I found out some news for you all. That place behind the Happy Harry's is a bus parking lot. Ill be talking to her on Saturday at her reception, Ill ask her about anything else the people that took it said.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by psi3000

Thanks for the update,

I still haven't seen any news online, have you heard anything on local TV, Radio, Newsprint etc?

Try and get your sister in law to give you as detailed a story as possible, descriptions, maybe she knew some of the witnesses, or FD, PD folks who were there, did the metal have a smell that she could describe? These types of things and any other points you might come up with.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
God's Crowbar apparently fell from the sky. Unfortunate =(

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The latest news item, the FAA decided it was not from an aircraft according to this article and speculation much like what we have been doing is now going on.

One theory by the police is that the piece of metal was ejected by a mulcher down the hill and a few blocks away, though the mulch depot owner said they were barking up the wrong tree

So now we know the image posted last night shows the mulch depot and the school bus parking lot.

The metal wasn't from an aircraft and the locals are in the same boat as we are...

Trying to figure out what the metal is, and how this happened.

Maybe psi can get some more clues at the reception this weekend.

Officials: Falling Object Not From A Plane

STANTON, Del. - October 18, 2007 - There is a new development in the case of that unidentified falling object that crashed through a sports utility vehicle in Delaware.

The article fails to mention if the FAA has identified what the metal is, whether they are trying to identify what the metal is or whether the FAA will turn this metal over to another agency to try and determine what the piece of metal is.

ED: add paragraph

[edit on 2007/10/18 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Wow you guys really can't wait can you. I'll see what I can do about calling her tomorrow. I'm sure she has heard more than anyone else about it. Maybe I should sell the story to the paper and me and her could split it

apc

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Haha isn't that more like a lack of a new development?

"FAA reports: We still don't know what it is!"

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

You are correct sir!

The way that article ended seems like they are trying to sweep this one under the rug.

Do you think we will hear anymore from the FAA?

apc

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'd imagine something might emerge if the total damages are greater than the SUV owner's deductible. I don't think insurance is going to accept, "Mystical hook from the sky," on a comprehensive claim.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think for this one, I'm a lot more willing to accept it came from a terrestrial source than anything.

The object itself, the pointed end looks machined, and the bend itself looks to regular to be from twisting/deformation when hot and flying. I'd be thinking that it came from something exploding, or ... something under a good amount of tension giving way, and if it was on soem sort of flexible attachment (chain, cable, etc) that teh whipping action could have sent this at a decent bit of speed.

I would think by reckoning that this object had to have a medium to low trajectory, since it would seem that an object of this type wouldn't be able to gain enough speed even at height (terminal velocity) to punch through the top of the vehicle like this. (theres a difference between punching & piercing metal). I'm not up on my physics enough right now to crunch some numbers, but someone else might.

The charring, etc.. perhaps residue from explosion, previous welding, basic corrosion/dirt/grime, even if fused on from a separate heat source?

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
How weird!

My first thought was that it could have been a part of an electricity power station and been loose,at was suddenly made live with millions of amps.
Then it shot off at high velocity,the way a screwdriver does if placed across the terminals of a car battery.

The massive current would also explain the heating of the metal.

Edit: the metal looks charred too,as it would after being fried with current.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by Silcone Synapse]

Excellent deduction! You are an investigator supreme.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

I read the article in the links above and saw nothing about the metal being "superhot". They also didn't say the object melted through the SUV's roof but said it "sliced" through it. With the thousands of bits of space debris circling the Earth, it's conceivable it fell from orbit. Being small enough it could cool down enough on the way down not to burn her car up or start a fire. It is almost winter, you know? The only car known to have been hit by a meteorite suffered no heat damage at all and that happened here in the US. I doubt the Mothership broke up or dumped her garbage recently.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Could it be that this is one of those 'frogs falling from the sky' type of things like in fortean times?

To me it resembles a meat hook or part of a boats anchor for some reason.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It looks like the object has rust on it which leads me to the following conlcusions.
1. This is not from space. I know this because there is no oxygen in space therefore no oxidation. Correct me if I'm wrong.
2. This is not from terrestrial aircraft. I'm don't know much about aviation though I've been to quite a few airshows and have three friends who own there own jets. One has is only private airport. And I'm fairly certain that the required FAA checks would complain about rusty components.

Also, tonight mowing the lawn I mowed over a metal stake in the ground that anchors a dog leash. This resulted in a flying projectile that was hot when I picked it up. This explains the heat of the object. If it flew off some machinery as a result of some metal to metal failure it will build up an extreme amount of energy and the friction would result in heat and the object would launch. IMO this is a terrestrial object either from a machine or part of a power line.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by psi3000
I'm sure she has heard more than anyone else about it. Maybe I should sell the story to the paper and me and her could split it

Well do you have any new information?

I could find nothing new from a news search,

I think it is probably terrestrial but you would think that an answer would have come down on what the piece of metal is.

As long as it goes unanswered, it remains a mystery.

Anybody from the area heard anything?

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If this came from orbit, or from a plane or any fast moving object, then it would not have landed on the seat below the hole in the roof, right? It would have landed far off to the side, right? Due to horizontal velocity...

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Is it just me?

A mystery which could easily be explained and an item which should be easily identified, but the last word I have found was the article stating that the object did not come from a plane and a theory from the local police.

We had a member claiming to be related to the lady who's car was struck by the metal and was going to the wedding and would get some information on the incident.

Nothing from this member since.

Questions still remain,

What was the metal?

Who has the metal? FAA? Why?

Is someone trying to identify this piece of metal?

What happened to memberX?

As many members suggested it could be terrestrial,

Wouldn't that be an easy thing to prove? To close this incident?

Is there more to this story that we will never know?

I am still wondering.........

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
...just did a search and came up w/ this:

The Federal Aviation Administration was still trying to determine what it was that crashed through the roof of a parked SUV in Stanton, but officials don't believe it came from an aircraft. The FAA stepped in after a 16-inch piece of hot metal fell through the roof of the vehicle Monday afternoon outside a pharmacy on Main Street in Stanton, Del. One witness reported hearing a boom that sounded like an explosion.

Officials at the New Castle Airport and the Philadelphia International Airport said they received no reports of planes losing any parts while in the air Monday. A representative of Dover Air Force Base said the object did not come from a military plane, either.

This was an NBC news report from 10/17.... going over the thread, some people can up w/ some wild ideas, didn't she part in the lot and then that happened? Were there witnesses? It's gotta be 'space debris' that didn't burn up on impact and should she ever sue whomever it belongs to.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join