It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A viable way to mine the moon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Google recently set a bounty on a vehicle able to rove the moon and transmit images. We've done this already on Mars a goodly distance from our satellite. It just seems lame to me. I was thinking of a lander capable of actually mining the surface with just enough power left to blast off the surface. Where another vessel would be sent to grapple and guide the miner home. The value of Helium 3 for power alternatives I've read are quite lucrative. Just an early morning tired thought.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I haven't read much on helium3, other than the comments that it would make a great energy source. As it is light in nature, it doesn't really apply to my thoughts on mining(assuming). I don't think mining the moon would be that great of an idea. It seems that it is locked in a fairly regular orbit, controlling our tides and possibly counterbalancing our orbit. If we did start mining it, wouldn't it lose mass and eventually spin out or orbit or come crashing into or own planet?

I don't know, also another early morning thought.

-Warlo

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I wasn't proposing strip mining like Pennsyvania in the 70's LOL. We are so limited presently (supposedly) getting 5000 lbs of artifact off world would be a feat unto itself. Helium 3 from what I've read could blow our reactors away in conventionality. I need to do more homework on that. Could make a mute point in nuclear tipped countries, which would be a good thing.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I wasn't proposing strip mining like Pennsyvania in the 70's LOL.

Haha...When I read that, I got the image in my head of Marvin the martian and Bugs Bunny hanging off a sliver of the moon after completely blowing it up while trying to destroy each other...

-Warlo

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I think it's doable under budget of a self contained craft doing load and return. Give me a break ok pal. Sorry, I haven't been sleeping so well the last three days. That was testy. I always liked Marvin too. I hear my bed calling me. OUT.

[edit on 11-10-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Warlo
It seems that it is locked in a fairly regular orbit, controlling our tides and possibly counterbalancing our orbit. If we did start mining it, wouldn't it lose mass and eventually spin out or orbit or come crashing into or own planet?

I don't know, also another early morning thought.

-Warlo

No more likely than our activities here on earth altering earth's gravitational force.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Assuming an object is much less massive than the parent it is orbiting (such as with the earth and moon), mass doesn't really have much to do with the object's orbit. It's kinda like what Galileo showed - the speed at which objects fall is independent of their mass.

Imagine this as a thought experiment: you're an astronaut out on a spacewalk, holding a 50 lb ball. You then gently let go of the ball. Are you suddenly flung hundreds of miles away? No, both you and the ball remain in the same orbit.

top topics

join