It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

shut up

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
After reading many threads on religious subjects, I have come to the conclusion that the athiests on this site are the primary cause for the pointless bickering that always plagues those threads. Why bother trying to convince the believers that their beliefs have no evidence, so therefor they are utterly false even know they are never going to change their minds? It's a waste of time, you have your beliefs, they have theirs, I have mine, and no one is ever going to think otherwise, so just leave it how it is and everyones happy.

Please understand that I have nothing against athiests, I just don't like how they keep persisting to argue.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by wildcat]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
OK, I'll bite.

Why is it the atheists that aren't allowed to speak their beliefs? Nobody's telling some of the more stubborn and vocal Christians on the board to shut up. Just us.

is it because we make so much sense people's beliefs are being shaken?

Why are atheists the only ones not allowed to speak their mind?

This ties into the Anti-Atheist Conspiracy thread very well, thank you.

But seriously, why are we not entitled to speak our minds on a subject just like everyone else? Our points of view are just as valid. And there are just as many rabid Christians on the board, if not more so.

I am personally tired of people trying to censor me. If someone doesn't like my posts, I invite them cordially to put me on their Ignore list and allow me my freedom of speech just like everyone else.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Don't tell me to shut up........

I post in the threads on religion because this is a "discussion board", and even though I don't believe in God, I still have the right to voice my opinion.

Perhaps it would be best for you to avoid the topic so that it doesn't upset you.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

My point is what are you trying to get out of accusing believers of worshiping a false religion? It seems to me that you are trying to convince them to think otherwise. Maybe I am wrong, but those arguments you make tend to knock those threads of topic.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yes, everyone does have their own oppinion, so why would only one group shut up, either everyone shuts up, or no one does, and the war continues.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Don't tell me to shut up........

Perhaps it would be best for you to avoid the topic so that it doesn't upset you.

I titled the thread "shut up" because I couldn't think of any other names. I will change it when I think of something else, or if someone gives me an idea.

So sorry for the confusion

I usually read threads where believers state their spiritual experience or their beliefs. And I always see athiest starting arguments in them.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by wildcat]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wildcat

We are convincing no one of anything more or less than anyone else is on the board in any topic. We state our opinion on something. Someone does not agree and addresses our post. A debate ensues. Each side sticks to its opinion and offers rebutting arguments.

It happens in medical, in UFOs, in politics, everywhere on the board. It's all belief. But only the atheists are told to shut up.

That is discrimination. And if you can't tell from the tone of my post, I am sick of it. It makes me want to speak out about my beliefs even more.

Every few months someone comes up with this same post, with the same sentiments, and I reply the same way:

Telling me to shut up is censorship. That is not what a discussion board is all about. If you don't like my posts, don't read them. The Ignore button is a wonderful thing.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
"We are convincing no one of anything more or less than anyone else is on the board in any topic. We state our opinion on something. Someone does not agree and addresses our post. A debate ensues. Each side sticks to its opinion and offers rebutting arguments."

I thought you were trying to change believers minds, so thank you for clearing that up.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
They should shut up, but you do not have the authority to do it. Freedom of speech is what drives these forums, and if you don't like the person speaking, then challenge them, not shut them up. Only the masses have that right.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Sorry if I was short, this issue was brought up earlier today and you kind of hit a sore spot.

I argue because I like to. Glad you understand.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I understand the frustration wildcat...and know there is some truth to what you said in your opening post. I used to get upset and argue for Christianity until I realized the militant atheist voice really doesn't have any meaning to me (a Christian). Some just look for arguments and IMO we Christians should just ignore their posts and pray their eyes are opened one day.

Actually I believe these militant atheists could someday turn to Christ. Some are very passionate about religion witch leads me to believe there may be a serious struggle within their own hearts and minds regarding their stated lack of belief. You can see the struggle and turmoil in many of their posts...usually expressed with anger or almost violent confrontation.

At one point in my life I didn't believe, but it all turned around. Every person has the term of their life to accept their salvation so we should just pray they accept it after some soul searching.

At times I still share God's word with them but now I refuse to argue and I don't take their anger personally...with a couple of them I just ignore their posts and move on to something more constructive...after all we shouldn't cast pearls (Matthew 7:6)...

Obviously the above doesn't apply to all athiest...only the truly militant...

[edit on 10/4/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I think everyone athesis christain what ever you are has a right to speach and to say what they feel. but if at some point if arguments start ruding the thread its bad.

Though I like athesis and there understand of the world, I do see alot of thread getting to arguements come from them. But half the time they didnt start it.

We are all equal and have a right to our words. May we all speak.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Personally I enjoy it. I enjoy being challenged to back up what I believe and without the help of some of the fine atheist on this forum, I wouldn't have stumbled onto some of the great stuff that others have written about.

I think I feel the same thing you do at times. I do wonder why atheist bother stepping into some of these discussions. I don't try to disprove aliens to those in the Alien and UFO forum. I just don't bother arguing with what I don't believe in. Still, if the subject is open to the question of the existance of God an opposing view is not only welcomed, it's helpful to make the conversation flow.

It would be akward for an athiest to join in on a discussion say...."Was Joseph's position as second in command in Egypt, and his forgiveness of his brothers, a foreshadowing of Christ's work." Someone chiming in with "Jesus didn't exist" would really drag the thread off topic. However, if you state, "God created the cosmos" you should expect some questioning as to the existance of God. It's only natural .
To somethings up. I rarely see people start really deep religious topics. (Like my example) Secondly, my preference is to discuss with those who are civil above any other qualification. Finally, it's boring talking to yourself. I tried it in several threads and didn't like it.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizardActually I believe these militant atheists could someday turn to Christ.

I'd sooner turn to some other religion than turn to Christ (or Muhammad for that matter.)

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Can't we all just get along ?
Creation, evolution, is there no middle ground ?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

Agree. Same here.

So stupid how people tell others to shut up in forums.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I have noticed that someone might post a thread and call it "I love God because..." (example only) This is someone sharing why or what they believe and yet, very quickly athiests see the title and ridicule the person.

Different if someone states "I love God...what do you think?"

What is wrong with allowing someone to believe in what they want?
Why do the athiests here feel the need to gatecrash a discussion of faith with insults?

I don't see too many spiritual people on ATS forcing others to believe what they believe.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Why should we shut up?

The last time I checked, there were two religious sections on the ATS, BTS, and PTS network. Conspiracies in Religion, and Faith, Spirituality, and Theology. Both discussion sections. Both open to all users for posting.

The point of a discussion is to discuss all aspects of the topic at hand. To do this, you need other points of view, unless of course you want a completely biased discussion.

This isn't a god and Christ praising forum. When you post something on here praising god or Christ, you're opening yourself up to response by those who are passionate about their beliefs as well, which may just rival your beliefs.

Therein erupts a debate.

If you want complete bias, there are plenty of other religious praising sites you can go to and speak amongst your fellow followers.

But you shouldn't be surprised, nor should you tell others to shut up, when you get some unwanted feedback on your beliefs on this website.

And as long as we're all talking about what we hate - you know what I hate? I hate it when religious people try to force their beliefs on us atheists.

You act as if atheists are this hostile crowd and we're just looking for a fight on a forum regarding religion, when it's the one's who follow a god that try and force their beliefs on others everyday and claim we're misguided because we don't believe in some guy that supposedly died for us and loves us.

Give it a rest. We don't have to believe the things you do. We don't have to agree with you. We don't have to listen to you. And we certainly don't have to shut up.

I personally will never "see the light" and become religious. Nothing can happen in my life that will ever make me change what I currently believe. Call me closed minded, as you wish. But I'll always be atheist, and I'll always be right there with these others who have posted here in response to argue the other side of a religious debate.

If you can't handle the response that you know is coming, then perhaps it's best to just not post it.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Reply to Thurisaz:

Then you aren't looking in the right threads. I get proselytized constantly.

and how can I force anyone to believe anything? If that were true, the whole board would be atheists by now.

I only go into threads that have obvious room for alternative viewpoints. In case no one has noticed, I have yet to post in "What Do You Think Heaven is Like?" and "How I regained my faith."

Stating our opinions is not insulting. The only insult is people telling others to shut up instead of either hearing them out and moving on, or ignoring them.

[edit to add Greeting]

[edit on 4-10-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
I have noticed that someone might post a thread and call it "I love God because..." (example only) This is someone sharing why or what they believe and yet, very quickly athiests see the title and ridicule the person.

Like I just said in my post above, this isn't a religious praising forum. It's a discussion forum. Most are here to debate.

Not to sound rude, but most don't care why someone on here loves God. That's his/her right to love God, and it should be a personal thing.

If that person feels the need to express that feeling, then there are other sites for that.

I'm not saying that it should be forbidden on this site, because this section "Faith, Spirituality & Theology" is perfect for it, but if you do post it on this site, you have to realize the potential for a debate to break out, and you have to be willing to take that.

If you can't take that, then you shouldn't post what you're going to post.

[edit on 10/4/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join