It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone sucessfully sold their soul to the devil?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
In all seriousness.. I attempted to sell my soul for the better part of my teenage years. After a while, I even offered it up for free, but never got an answer / offer.

In fact, the lack of a sale was the final step that put me on the path of atheism, which then turned into agnosticism, which finally evolved into gnosticism. I guess to a fundamentalist, I did sell my soul...

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
When I saw this thread yesterday, I went and looked at EBAY. Didn't get a chance to post the link and it is now gone. Titled "Highest Bidder gets my Soul" The auction had about 10 hours left and the bid was for $3.25. Don't know how it ended.

His auction detail was pretty crappy. I think a well presented one could possibly bring some attention and large bids.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by disgustedbyhumanity]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Those ebay souls go off quite a bit actually. Some are nicely documented pieces of paper framed and all. But then what says a document is to have a soul attatched? Therefore, will you ever know if you recieved the soul that you purchased? But, what if the seller does lose their soul, not because someone else physically owns it, but because it was decided by the seller that it could have a price, thus objectifying it, and hence having it lost or taken. What if the actual acceptance of giving your soul away or selling it is enough for it to make a pronounced change in ones life.
Just a little bit of a philosophical take after reading through most of these much appreciated replies.

Also, who says the devil isnt caught up with technology. Nothing says the devil cant have the internet, so maybe hes got himself an eBay account. $3.25 is great bargain instead of granting fortune and fame.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by d60944
Specifically the Christian devil also occurs way before the 20th C.The classic story is the Germanic tale of Faust (folk tale from at least the high medieval period and probably older as retold by, amongst others, Marlowe, Goethe, Lenau and Thomas Mann).

And the way the devil is depicted looks with cloved hooves, etc. is precisely a depiction of the nature god Pan, whom the Christians were attempting to irradicate from peasant culture. They did a pretty good job, too.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Specifically the Christian devil also occurs way before the 20th C.The classic story is the Germanic tale of Faust (folk tale from at least the high medieval period and probably older as retold by, amongst others, Marlowe, Goethe, Lenau and Thomas Mann).

And the way the devil is depicted looks with cloved hooves, etc. is precisely a depiction of the nature god Pan, whom the Christians were attempting to irradicate from peasant culture. They did a pretty good job, too.

The quintessential cartoon devil must have the REAL Prince of Darkness laughing his butt off.

The real devil can appear as an Angel of Light.

This is based on anecdotal evidence from documented demonic encounters, but real demons often appear as shadowy hooded figures. One could assume that Satan could take the same form.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Sure you can sell your soul to the Devil. All you have to do is go down to the crossroads and wait.

But you can get it back. All you have to do is beat Steve Vai in a guitar duel. Can't be that hard, the Karate Kid did it. (Best guitar duel I have ever seen). OF course, it's not Ralph Machio actually playing. Ry Cooder played all the slide guitar stuff, and Steve Vai played everything else, even the classical Riff.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by sensfan]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

Hey, therepublic... you have 666 ats points....

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I offered to sell my soul on ebay, even put up a listing, had the bidding up to $100 at one stage, but ebay took it down

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
there's probably hundreds of thousands who have subjectively
sold-their-souls....
how come no body mentioned Alister Crowley yet?

i'd guess that the Neanderthal race sold their collective souls,
plenty of Greek illuminati, lots of Romans too...
Caligula comes to mind.

see, the success of the trading one's soul deal, isn't about longevity
or fame, glory, money, etc....all those are trappings of the mortal world,

selling one's soul is more focused on one's infamy, & living on in the hearts/minds/fears of all the following generations of menkind.
Atilla-the-Hun, Barnabus, all the Svengali over the ages, Hannibal Lector
although 'fictional' is a personnification of many other 'beastal'sociopaths...

our history & even folklore is filled with persons that have successfully
sold-their-souls-to-the-devil...
it's just that the threads measure of a successful transaction is skewed,
inho

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Selling your soul to the devil is really quite easy, Most people do it once or more in their life.

It's called marriage.

You go from being the free spirit into a temporary moment of pure bliss, and then slowly descend into the pits of hell. Demons are cast upon you, though we prefer to call them children, and they never go away.

I just had to toss that in...

wupy

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
darn double posts.....

[edit on 2-10-2007 by mrwupy]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

i'd like to add to the few examples you offered.

ADD: Marqius De Sade, Munchausen, Jack-the-Ripper...
then there was; Judas, Nero, Ghengis Kahn who was brutal to enemy
Of course there were the; Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin who engaged genocides

~all these names stand on their own...as being infamous and residing in the collective conscious.... just like Jesus the Christ still lives among us living~

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Faust meaning "fist" right? Do you have a link you'd recommend?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
In all seriousness.. I attempted to sell my soul for the better part of my teenage years. After a while, I even offered it up for free, but never got an answer / offer.

In fact, the lack of a sale was the final step that put me on the path of atheism,

Then the devil made a smart move not offering to buy it. Win-win situation for him.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by I Am The Influence
Also, who says the devil isnt caught up with technology. Nothing says the devil cant have the internet, so maybe hes got himself an eBay account. $3.25 is great bargain instead of granting fortune and fame.

Funny you should mention, I was getting in on a bidding war just so that I could give it back to the person if they pledged never to do it again.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Selling your soul to the devil is really quite easy, Most people do it once or more in their life.

It's called marriage.

Nope, the contract says "till death do us part" thereby releasing obligation post-mortem. And, if you feel spouse and children are demons, one cannot help but question where the selfless love is in your life.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I was working in a restaurant in Florida back in 2000-2001. Working late one night we all sat around and were drinking some beers. After everyone left I stayed with the manager to set up for the am and lock up. Well we started talking about the song Aerials by SoaD and what he told me has always stuck with me. He mentioned that Aerials were/are these eternal beings living among us that when time itself was created they were already ancient. How all time and history they influenced to this day. We went on to discuss the metaphysical and other aspects and he started talking about souls and how he traded his for his current life. He did not go into a lot of detail on what happened and such that only he traded his for someone’s life. He went along to say that it was his only option in it and now he lives with the consequences of it.
Now I have to say he never did mention that he traded it to the devil. It was implied by the way the conversation was going and when he did start talking about this he basically started staring at the wall telling his story and sweating through it. Literally sweating while telling his story.
I guess the story has stuck to me for so long because I’ve never heard of these Aerials before that and I cant seem to find any history on them, and also because this is the only person in my whole life that I have ever heard of selling or trading their soul.
Take of this what you want. I did.
~Ghost~

**edit for spelling**

[edit on 3-10-2007 by ghostryder21]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

In fact, the lack of a sale was the final step that put me on the path of atheism,

Then the devil made a smart move not offering to buy it. Win-win situation for him.

i'm confused... unless that was a backhanded insult, in which case I understand, and disrespect you for it.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

i'm confused... unless that was a backhanded insult, in which case I understand, and disrespect you for it.

No insult. Merely looking at it from a strategic point of view. I'm not out to win anyone's respect. If it happens great, but is not my mission.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Faust meaning "fist" right? Do you have a link you'd recommend?

I don't think there is any kid of allegory intended in the name. No link specifically, the works by the writers mentioned are some of the most important in Western literature and there could be whole libraries devoted to them. The story inspires painters and musicians, particularly through the 19th century. Google and Wikipedia are a start.

While the specific character of "Faust" seems to be sixteenth century, the concept story can be traced older:

The predecessor of Faustus in Christian mythology is Theophilus ("Friend of God" or "Beloved of god") the unhappy and despairing cleric, disappointed in his worldly career by his bishop, who sells his soul to the Devil but is redeemed by the Virgin Mary.[1] His story appears in a Greek version of the sixth century written by a "Eutychianus" who claims to have been a member of the household in question. A ninth-century Miraculum Sancte Marie de Theophilo penitente inserts a Jew as intermediary with diabolus, his "patron", providing the prototype of a closely-linked series in the Latin literature of the West.[2] In the tenth century, the poet nun Hroswitha of Gandersheim adapted the text of Paulus Diaconis for a narrative poem that elaborates Theophilus' essential goodness and internalizes the forces of Good and Evil, in which the Jew is magus, a necromancer. As in her model, Theophilus receives back his contract from the Virgin, displays it to the congregation, and soon dies. A long poem on the subject by Gautier de Coincy (1177/8 – 1236), entitled Comment Theophilus vint a pénitence provided material for a thirteenth-century play by Rutebeuf, where Theophilus is the central pivot in a frieze of five characters, the Virgin and the Bishop flanking him on the side of Good, the Jew and the Devil on the side of Evil.

from en.wikipedia.org...

With best wishes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join