It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread starting out of control

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I notice that many (too many) new forum members jump straight in and start making posts and that can be a good thing, however, is it possible to have them earn a few points at posting first? It may help the quality of the threads they start in the future by doing it this way. I have many more reasons for suggesting this, one important point is that for the low bandwidth members it takes for ever to open a page only to find it had nothing to do with the title and was a big waste of time and effort. It has gotten to the point that I actually look at who starts the thread before opening for credibility. Yet more and more I seem to get suckered in by a great title only to find 0 content.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
An extremely interesting idea...

I'm sure there are some who will think that it will discourage people from posting, but to be honest, it could be a good idea.

Mind you, I'm sure we're all guilty of starting dodgy threads ourselves..........

Overall, I like it.

MSP

(Computer fixed at last - only took nearly a week)

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'm with Antar on this one.New members need 20 posts before sending a u2u,so how about the same for starting a thread.That would give new members a chance to feel their way around first, and learn how to google search subjects that have already been discussed a dozen times.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well this is why we have mods

Things like this are usually taken care of quite quickly by the staff.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
so.. if someon wanted to join for the sole purpose of creating a thread, and then their membership thereafter would depend on responses / reception of said thread...

you would be alienating all of those people. Whatever though, I predict as this site grows, the rules will become stricter and stricter.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
so.. if someon wanted to join for the sole purpose of creating a thread, and then their membership thereafter would depend on responses / reception of said thread...

you would be alienating all of those people.

Good point. This website is all about denying ignorance, all people should be able to come on and ask what they want when they want. That freedom is worth sifting through a few nonsense threads for.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Good idea Antar. My first and only thread posted was most embarrassing.

I don't know why the mods allowed it to be posted. Thank you mods for your kindness.

Some of us newbies let our hearts rule and not our heads and post threads before we are ready.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sorry to play devil's advocate here, but is allowing absolutely ridiculous first posts 'denying ignorance...' or actually encouraging it?

Answers on a postcard please...

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Well this is why we have mods

Things like this are usually taken care of quite quickly by the staff.

I agree, we have had an influx of new members who are eager to participate, and that is a good thing, the staff and quite a few members have always kept things running smoothly, guiding the newer members to information which will help them in the future.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Does everyone remember when you came to ATS? I do. "Man, let's share with the world." Why stifle that enthusiasm? Sure some may post something covered but why not leave that up to the staff. We're on top of things most of the time, with the help of the members. Remember that ATS is member driven, without the members this would be a ghost town. Even new members contribute, most of the time.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't feel its spreading ignorance so long as people educate those who ask questions. Someone has a nonsense post, you either ignore it or correct it. That way, nothing has been spread thats negative.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
As a long time member i think we have to take the rough with the smooth. Ive been on this forum for so long - welll before 2001 fwiw. Ive seen them come and go - to attempt censure is totally against the ethos of the site. All we can do is educate - yes im the worst and lose my temper - but i remember my college days - a tutor would let one of us run wild with a theory then cut us down. So be it here i suggest - what doesnt kill you makes you stronger as my senior lecturer used to say - if you cant face oposition then your theory lacks weight, the arguement is weak and you need to go and re-evaluate. Bring them on then and let them face human oposition and real comments rather than spouting web derived drivel and publishing it here

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Man, my first post...

God, I didn't know what to write or even post. I think it was in the introduction thread, Seekerof was the first to reply.

I posted like a mad man for the first week, I think it was nearly 800 posts
I replied to EVERY THREAD
That's bad. (Still an ATS record I think)

Zion_Mainframe told me not to worry and that ATS would make a member out of me. Restricting them is unfair, newbies have to learn either the good or hard way.

Everyone is entitled to learn how to be a good member.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Seems like your comment includes me as you posted several times disparingly on my thread.

You may think a Rothschild enemy being the next Russian president is not a big deal, but I certainly do. I saw this referenced no where else on this site and I searched dilegently before I posted. I am surprised that the topic did recieve so little attention though.

I have to state that I beleive that this thread is a much greater waste of space then just about anything I've seen on ATS so far. Alnd what type of person posts countless children's pictures on a conspiracy discussion forum? My Foe folder is no longer empty.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I posted like a mad man for the first week, I think it was nearly 800 posts
I replied to EVERY THREAD
That's bad. (Still an ATS record I think)

I don't know about that my manwife friend, I think I've given you more than a run for the money.

Btw, I've had staff help me on the way as well. I was new to the Net, let alone ATS when I got here. I thought Seekerof was picking on me. Meh, he was merely helping me learn. Kano was a breath of fresh air. He took more time to help. I miss him.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
You may think a Rothschild enemy being the next Russian president is not a big deal, but I certainly do. I saw this referenced no where else on this site and I searched dilegently before I posted. I am surprised that the topic did recieve so little attention though.

With all due respect, every member of this board has made a thread in which no one has replied to. I've made very detailed and well research threads that haven't got a sniff.

You just have to deal with it.

I have to state that I beleive that this thread is a much greater waste of space then just about anything I've seen on ATS so far.

Members are entitled to opinions.

I don't know about that my manwife friend, I think I've given you more than a run for the money.

intrepid, my darling manwife, you probably did

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I have to confess...Intrepid was one of the first people to welcome me and he and Asala helped me through my newbie phase. Thanks Intrepid.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Whoa. Mentioned in the same sentence with asala(ATS Mom)? That's thanks enough.

You're welcome.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I would rather sift through a pile of spam and nonsense than risk exclusion of someone or something important.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hey, we were all new once. I for one, haven't gone for the "post until my fingers bleed" at all. And from those early posts, I was schooled hard in the fact that the "SEARCH" button is always a good idea before opening that thread.
Read first, post second.
Even if you have the "news of a lifetime" first-time post. Read a little. Get to know the procedures that we tend to adhere to. THEN post intellegently with some punctuation and your favorite spell-checker. It's not a lot to ask. I mean, the better you communicate, the better the reception.

Class and intellegence,
Cuhail

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join