It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread starting out of control

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
I would rather sift through a pile of spam and nonsense than risk exclusion of someone or something important.

Yes, I totally agree. I wish I could star your post!

It's the job of the mods to get rid of the really dumb stuff, I don't think any hard algorithmic rule should be imposed against new members from posting.

[edit on 9/13/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Wow, being a thread killer extraordinaire, the response to this query is most surprising.
It is not so much the idea of a new member being censored as it is giving them the opportunity to see the level of integrity here before blindly posting subjects that just don't resonate with the members or the site in general.
With all of the recent publicity and the hard work from all of the older members that made it possible, imagine for a minute a really great contributor,think of the one person you would want to have as a fellow member and collaborator in the discoveries of your favorite subject, and then think of them visiting this site and finding the main page filled with a bunch of nonsense type threads that are doomed to die yes, but they don't know it, they just chalk ATS up to another mediocre site with nothing for them.
I know I have posted things in the beginning I wished I had not. It took me months to learn to navigate back to the threads I posted on and even had trouble finding some I started when jumping from ATS/BTS/PTS. I am also totally guilty when it came to enthusiastically jumping in at first, and that is why I proposed what I did.
What if someone of the caliber of Michio Kaku or Steven Hawking or even a Jim Marrs checked in here and was mistaken that my poorly presented and miss directed threads represented the forum in general? They won't stick around long enough to know that my thread died after 5 minutes and that I was brought to my senses and guided to take the high road the next time. Well that is my point.
No one is being chastised or their freedoms being encroached upon, no nothing like that at all. I am glad that there is room for everyone here and that all thoughts and genres are accepted. We just need to tighten the standards if we want to keep people coming back.
And as for posting my kids pictures for my friends here on the site, they are part of the ATS family and you will find hundreds of family pictures here. My membership here is not covert, it is open and honest and quite frankly I don't know how I could have coped with the past year if it were not for some of them. I can only hope to be as good a friend to them when they need someone to lean on.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
It is not so much the idea of a new member being censored as it is giving them the opportunity to see the level of integrity here before blindly posting subjects that just don't resonate with the members or the site in general.

That's where your thinking is wrong. It is a bit ludicrous to believe that you can decide what will resonate with everyone else. It is obviously not for me to decide either. You should not underestimate the time that people spend here before signing up, much less posting. In the last few weeks I have seen very few threads started on topics which didn't have relevance to other threads. The amount of information here is pretty large and you can't expect anyone to be able to get through all of it before trying to contribute.

That said, i want to apologize for going off a bit. This thread just irked me, as it was based on attacking others.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The title is always what sparks my interest at first, and normally I won't click on a thread link unless I am curious about the title.

I say it's all about perception. The way you perceive a thread is your own business. I'm sure not everyone on ATS who reads a thread is going to discredit it. Opinions, ideas, or complete nonsense. At least you've cared about it enough to post a thread of your own about it.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Hey, thankyou, and no apology needed. It really was not presented as an attack, and I am open to the oppinions and thoughts of others on the subject. In the end what is best will work for me. BTW I enjoyed your thread it was just really late when I found it and I just wanted to contribute before Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I often check out the "recent posts" list and must admit it does look a little like a psychiatric ward gone ballistic. But that is a reflection of humanity and of diversity and variety and can be a lot of fun. Those who seek quality postings will find them. Every sheep will find the barn it belongs to. The flags and applause system is supposed to help a poster determine how well-receieved his posts are and from that he learns how to make better posts. I have created threads I thought were brilliant and then received zero or very little feedback. So I re-checked and found out why the topic I had opened is boring or stupid or overused. We are all learning.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yeah, and besides, one of the greatest threads ever created here was of the first day, first time variety, making a hotdog disappear into a telephone line using a microwave.

Peace

[edit on 14-9-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I can only answer for myself as to why 'newbies' might jump into opening threads and such right off the bat. Maybe we are trying to become, 'un-newbies.' Everyone treats us like we're a disease. So we figure that the best way to get points and get them fast, is to have a thread running. Hopefully, one that is acceptable. I don't know of anyone who can go into anything and know everything right away. You old-timers won't admit it, but I bet you made your share of mistakes along the way.
Btw, where's the magic cut-off point where you are no longer a newb?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I screwed up when i first signed up! I just didnt know where to go !! All i knew was that i would of liked a little bit more clarity in starting a thread and where exactly to put it .. Still we all learn by our mistakes and i have a very long way to go still

I see Access Denied has the same signature as me only his looks way cool !
Is this allowed ???

Regards

Git

[edit on 16-9-2007 by completenuttergit]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
in the larger forum called the world stage,
there's more than several 'Pulitzer Prize' journalists
whose works are
in my value judgement/opinion

so, imho, the quality of one's work is not guaranteed to be top-drawer
because they authored a minimum number of wordy articles, books,
or Threads here on ATS
even the top-dogs are apt to throw out pearls of wisdom or just plain Fluff

i liked that line about Every Sheep Will Find It's Barn...

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Right. I don't see how many of you construed that the OP means to censor anyone. Just to delay the time in which they can start their own threads. Which isn't really a horrible idea.

As someone stated in this thread, a lot of times new posters start threads in an attempt to gain points. Which I think we can all agree isn't the best reason to start threads. Heck, I know that's why I started my first few.

And if I see another person that's been a member for like a day start a thread in the 9/11 forum with "new" information my head is going to pop.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'd also be in favor of having, say, a one day wait from the time the member signed up before any comments could actually be posted on any forum but the 'board business' forum.

Post in Board Business only?
Allow them to post questions there about 'how do I...', then after 48 hours they get to post anywhere.

-or-

Another possibility:
Maybe they could have a 'new members forum' and let them post away, but keep them there for a week. That way they'd be able to post away and not spam the board. To make that work the post headers would not be posted in the 'Recent Posts' area, and stay confined to the 'new members forum' solely.

Anyone who wanted to see what the newbies were posting could specifically elect to browse that forum.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

That's the fairest middle ground I've seen, Badge

Gets my vote for sure

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
A Forum Of Democracy

Opinions vary, but people tend to vote with their feet.

Don't like a thread? Don't respond to it.

Move on, and let it sink down to the bottom of the forum.

Like a thread? Well then that's what I'm talking about!

Go nuts, post away and show your support for the discussion.

If there must be a tyranny, it is best if it is based on the will of the people.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
Maybe they could have a 'new members forum' and let them post away, but keep them there for a week.

Freshman Forum

I don't think it would be fair to restrict new members there though. The only way to learn is by doing.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
you know, some board that i recently joined had this rule in affect...

it only acted as a deterrent from both posting and starting threads, so i wouldn’t support this rule for ATS...

actually, the first night i joined here, i posted a thread...

i was so happy because i was merely a reader of ATS for so long

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I've often wondered if it would be possible to have some sort of check in place to assist members (new and old alike) in making sure that they not only have a title for their thread, but that the title actually reflects what's in the thread. It's been a bit since I posted a new thread, but it seems like there is a popup box that comes up if you don't have a title. Why not a popup asking if your sure your title matches the content? Or just a sentence next to the title box asking you to title your thread so that the content is clear. I've seen quite a few threads in the last few months that had titles that either didn't really say what the thread was about, or could have been a lot clearer. I sometimes skip over new threads based solely on their title, only to check them out later on when they've gotten two or three pages of posts. And then I find that the topic does indeed interest me, it was just the title had little to do with the thread.

I'm rambling, but does that make sense to anyone else? IMHO, something like this would be of more help than just not allowing new members to post new threads for some specified period of time.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I want to post something I wrote a while ago, but it pertains to this topic.

Originally posted by anxietydisorder....

Help Encourage New Members By Posting A Reply To Their Threads

Sure, a lot of new members post a topic that's been discussed before, but they don't have a history of past topics that long time members have.

Repetitiveness is part of the nature of a discussion board, but a reply to a new member, even if it directs them to another current thread, it gives them a feeling of accomplishment that encourages them to go on and start new topics.

I hope members that have been around for a while will take the time to reply to a new member's thread just to make them feel welcome.

Everyone can post a little hello in the "Introduction" threads , and take a minute to reply to threads in "Recent Posts" that have zero replies, even if it's just to give the member a boost or direct them to information already on the boards.
(there's nothing worse than starting a thread, and then you get no replies)

Let new members know you care about their opinions, flag the thread if it's worthy, and give them a star if merited. And put a tag at the bottom of the thread. (keep tagging folks)

These simple actions that only take a moment of your time can only help ATS grow and strengthen our membership.

I guess my point is that if we make new members feel welcome they will want to come back and contribute and expand our unique corner of the web.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a community, we need to support each other to help the community grow.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

HI yes I read your thread and liked what you had to say, I for the most part live that way. However I suppose eventually the ebb and flow takes care of all. It was just a couple of days when there was nothing on the main page that I couldn't read in National inquirer. Ok maybe not all, but I really meant no disrespect for the newer members, just thinking out loud.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well you know how do you think I feel when I find restricted areas all over the forum and in chat? What is the diff.?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join