It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread starting out of control

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I agree you should have to have a certain amount of points before posting a new thread. I have 7k points and I still feel I should not be the one to start new threads. It should be for long term members. Also another thing I have noticed is a lot of threads about the same thing when it is a hot topic. It's like people are competing for the thread subject just for points alone.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

Thank you for your support, I am not certain the way you worded it if I agree though. I do not mean thread starting should be for seasoned members only, no way, I do find some well written and enlightening threads started by new members. It can just get out of control sometimes and I was concerned that with all of the new publicity for ATS we are not evolving to higher ground by allowing a bunch of nonsense posts with great titles to fill up space. It will only serve to chase away quality. Quantity is good too, but its the repeat customers that I always targeted.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
When I first began to visit ATS , I decided against it because of the few threads that I chose to read were on UFOs and the times I checked in it was always under siege. Bad timing on my part, because later (much later) I came back and decided to give it a try again on the suggestion of some body I respect and found some of the most informative and well constructed pieces I had ever found on line in a forum.
Now, I bring this subject up again because over the weekend someone I have been trying to get on the forum (A professional) was visiting and I went to the main page and Ill be damned if the main page in that moment wasn't filled with the types of headliners that you would find in rags like the National enquirer... Timing? Maybe, but it was very sad because we lost a potential member that most of the hierarchy here would have been blow away to have. Hierarchy may not be the most politically correct wording but I use it in my point. For instance when Jim M. came on the forum there were some rules in place to keep it real and to not chase him off with stupidity. Well we lost a potentially great man because of the same type of ignorance. It was embarrassing and yet made me think of this thread and how some chose to stand up for ignorance, saying that I was attempting to sensor or make divisions or call people out for their immature first posts not knowing what the levels of integrity is here on ATs. I do not claim to be other than what I am and for many of the brainiacs here Im just another UFO/ALIEN retard with no hard evidence to back my claims. I probably would come out with some really hard to believe eveidence, but I am taking time to get to know the forum member's better and thats all I am saying, because often after a few months the most lame beginner posters can become some of my favorites. I stand by my original proposal to consider some other options for people that come in and first day begin making threads without even bothering to read or get to know us. Also I was wondering if we don't have sabotagers doing just what I am trying to point out? Now you can shred me, I really don't care because I am certain that there are a lot more people that would agree with my point than not.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I've seen this alot here lately.In looking at how "newbees" are treated it will not be long befor there are no newbees.Over and over I see the"I am god and your little insignificant photo is a fake.Me on the other hand .Hate typing could care less about ATS points(you can have mine).But I read alot Recent posts should be my home page....deadcat

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcatsrule

Thats absolutley absurd! "Newbies" are NOT treated poorly here! Not any different than any one else. Its just when they start threads that are better suited for here I say it again National enquirer, what do you expect? Can you give me an example of a new member being treated any differently? I didn't think so. Listen I have taken my share of knocks here believe me, and if you want to see the forum turned into a three ring circus act, then continue to spout out your support for poorly constructed and rediculous threads like meatclowns hyped up claims of the reptillians taking over Fox. I am not suggesting we 'police' the new threads for content, but if people had the chance to read the level of great threads here they may think twice before posting the absurd and rediculous.
( Meat clown I do enjoy your threads and still open them even knowing.)

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

what I was getting at is it looks to me like newer members are often hounded over proof...prove it prove it . Yes there are always going to be hoaxsters .The more long term members have learned to "cover the b hind".I've been here a little while and would never post anything in the paranormal ufo areas .btw I'm to lazy to look up any posts to back my self......dcr

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcatsrule

Ok, I can understand your point deadcatsrule, friends? Now as far as you saying that you would never post in the para/UFO Fields...do TELL! You sound like someone who has had first hand experience. I was and am continuing to provide an area where all members like yourself have a safe place to talk about and discuss those same topics which are my favorites.

I have had really good response to my thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It did begin to get a little off track so I gave it some time. Yet I urge you to take some time and read what has been posted there by a lot of members new and old. I love the thread and it is probably my favorite. The way I worded it was that it was not the place to debate the issues but to have a safe haven to discuss openly about experiences either man made or other.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
In Response to Techsnow:

Thankyou for your response. It is exactly why I suggested an open discussion about how we could clean up the front page just a bit. I do not necessarily agree with you however on the part about only having so many points, there have been many really great new member contributions. I do not mean to undermine the fresh ideas that new members bring to the table.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by antar]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

i thought we were all friends

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadcatsrule

what I was getting at is it looks to me like newer members are often hounded over proof...prove it prove it .

All members get that treatment. I for one don't bother reading into a thread with outstanding claims unless it's at least backed by some kind of evidence. That is, unless the OP declares it to be a working theory or something of that nature. To expect anything less would be ignorant IMO.

Anyone can make outstanding claims, but few have the ability to back them up. Those few should be recieving most of the attention, but alas that is not always the case.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join