It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bigotry of the Christ

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

jj, the only assessment on the issue that i've made here is that your position isn't adequately supported...
i'm not sure of anything, i'm just unsure that you're right.

so, whatever, recommend me something... though i'd prefer that you direct me to a primary source simply stating that the j dude existed...

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whirlwind
Madness....time itself changed because of His life here on earth. The first prophecy of the Bible, Gen. 3:15 is about Christ and part of that prophecy came to pass 2,000 years ago. The other half will happen soon.

again, no evidence that jesus existed presented.

Do you believe that His disciples could have started a movement that Christianity has grown into if he was just a myth?

yes. i believe that all religions can be followed if they are simply myths... the vikings sacrificed virgins to odin... do you think that they'd do that if it was just a myth?

your argument is fallacious.

He was and is very real. As far as "proof" that He lived - can you "prove" that Socrates or Plato were real?

yes, yes i can. plato wrote of socrates.. while socrates was alive.
plato also wrote stuff...
both of them have contemporaries that criticized them.

Were the Pharoah's of Egypt real? Yes they had books written about their sayings or carvings imprinted on walls but Can You Prove they were real?

yes, we actually have the body of one of them...
we have thousands of statues of them that were carved during their lifetimes...

Christ also had a book that has stood the test of time written about Him and it shows how Divinely inspired it is.

ok, now we're really really ridiculously off topic...

The argument you put forth of needing to prove His existence is silly. How can you even prove your great great grandfather was real?

genetics.

Mythology is a convoluted, confusing mess (to me). If one wants to study it that is terrific but to compare it to reality, to history, to what the very existence of our souls depends on is a non-sequiter. There is no comparison.

to say that your mythology isn't silly while the others are is silly. you're refusing to make a realistic assessment of the situation by placing your personal myths on a level above the others.

If it is one's religion then it is misplaced. Also, Christianity is not religion but rather a way of life.

you just proved the point i just made...
it IS religion. it is inherently theistic. even non-theistic religions exist...
but you follow a religion.

That isn't true. Consider this....Cain, when thrown out of the garden, Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch; and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

What was that city? Could it have been Babylon where all the mythology came from? Babylon just means bable, confusion and that is what mythology is. A corruption of the creation story and who better to corrupt it then the one thrown out.

wow... you throw out the bible as a source for why the other religions are wrong... the circles this leads to dizzy me.

WW - You will find what appear to some to be inconsistencies in God's Word but often, after deeper study, discover that they are not at all.

Madness -
you know... there are outright contradictions.

like.. the last words of jesus
or... the death of judas.

and then there are far more complex theological contradictions... like the contradiction over whether or not there is an unforgivable sin.

I'll take your last one first. There is an unforgiveable sin but it can only be committed by one of God's Elect. At the end of days His elect will stand before Satan who has come to earth pretending to be Christ - and he will fool many who don't know the truth. The sin is in not allowing the Holy Spirit to speak through you.

oh, yes, another contradiction there... is there free will or predestination..

Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

11.And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say:

12.For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

read this in its context and you'll see it has absolutely nothing to do with the situation you presented.

As far as the "last words of Jesus or death of Judas" being contraditions please be more explicit. What do you mean?

well, jesus has multiple last words... different gospels, different words.

judas dies in different ways in the bible
way 1: hangs himself
way 2: explodes in a field
way 3: falls off of a cliff

dude could have only died one way, one or all of the sources must be wrong here.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Time itself changed because of His life here on earth. The first prophecy of the Bible, Gen. 3:15 is about Christ and part of that prophecy came to pass 2,000 years ago. The other half will happen soon.

Madness -
again, no evidence that jesus existed presented.....your argument is fallacious.

I'm sorry you believe that.

He was and is very real. As far as "proof" that He lived - can you "prove" that Socrates or Plato were real?

Madness -
yes, yes i can. plato wrote of socrates.. while socrates was alive.
plato also wrote stuff...
both of them have contemporaries that criticized them.

To use your same reasoning...That is no evidence, anyone could have written that. Your argument is fallacious.

WW - Were the Pharoah's of Egypt real? Yes they had books written about their sayings or carvings imprinted on walls but Can You Prove they were real?

Madness -
yes, we actually have the body of one of them...
we have thousands of statues of them that were carved during their lifetimes...

That is no evidence, anyone could have written them, anyone could have their picture carved on a wall, how do you know that is his body, how do you know the statutes are of them. Go ahead - Prove it !!!

Christ also had a book that has stood the test of time written about Him and it shows how Divinely inspired it is.

Madness -
ok, now we're really really ridiculously off topic...

No, it isn't. That is what we are discussing.

The argument you put forth of needing to prove His existence is silly. How can you even prove your great great grandfather was real?

Madness -
genetics.

Genetics to whom. How do I know you are genetically related to the man you believe was your great great grandfather? Go ahead - Prove it!!!

Mythology is a convoluted, confusing mess (to me). If one wants to study it that is terrific but to compare it to reality, to history, to what the very existence of our souls depends on is a non-sequiter. There is no comparison.

Madness -
to say that your mythology isn't silly while the others are is silly. you're refusing to make a realistic assessment of the situation by placing your personal myths on a level above the others.

I know my beliefs aren't silly or myths and they are far above mythology.

If it is one's religion then it is misplaced. Also, Christianity is not religion but rather a way of life.

Madness -
you just proved the point i just made...
it IS religion. it is inherently theistic. even non-theistic religions exist...
but you follow a religion.

I follow Christ, not a man-made religion and you may call it whatever you wish.

That isn't true. Consider this....Cain, when thrown out of the garden, Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch; and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

What was that city? Could it have been Babylon where all the mythology came from? Babylon just means bable, confusion and that is what mythology is. A corruption of the creation story and who better to corrupt it then the one thrown out.

Madness -
wow... you throw out the bible as a source for why the other religions are wrong... the circles this leads to dizzy me.

There are many things you don't understand Madness because of how you approach God's Word. I know, because I was there before.

I'll take your last one first. There is an unforgiveable sin but it can only be committed by one of God's Elect. At the end of days His elect will stand before Satan who has come to earth pretending to be Christ - and he will fool many who don't know the truth. The sin is in not allowing the Holy Spirit to speak through you.

Madness -
oh, yes, another contradiction there... is there free will or predestination..

There is both. God's elect are predestined -

Rom.8:30 Moreover whom He did predestinate, them He also called: and whom He called, them He also justified: and whom He justified them He also glorified

Those of free will are not. They must make the choice. God can and does involve Himself in the lives of the Elect but He will not do that to one of free will unless they ask.

Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

11.And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say:

12.For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

Madness -
read this in its context and you'll see it has absolutely nothing to do with the situation you presented.

It has to do with the unpardonable sin. That was our topic of discussion.

As far as the "last words of Jesus or death of Judas" being contraditions please be more explicit. What do you mean?

Thank you for your answer on this question Madness but I'll have to postphone it until later this afternoon.

.........Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I'm sorry you believe that.

this isn't something i believe, it's something that you can't provide evidence for.

To use your same reasoning...That is no evidence, anyone could have written that. Your argument is fallacious.

...we have other people talking about them as well..during their lives. we have not a single source that speaks of jesus until decades after his death

That is no evidence, anyone could have written them, anyone could have their picture carved on a wall, how do you know that is his body, how do you know the statutes are of them. Go ahead - Prove it !!!

you're just playing a stupid semantics game here. it's just outright stupid to question the historical validity of the rulers of egypt... or socrates and his student plato.

we know it's his body because we found it in his tomb surrounded by his stuff...
you're just acting immature here.

No, it isn't. That is what we are discussing.

no, we're discussing the bigotry inherent in the bible.

Genetics to whom. How do I know you are genetically related to the man you believe was your great great grandfather? Go ahead - Prove it!!!

well...i can trace it to whoever my real great great grandfather is by tracing the dna... now, can i be sure that the person who my family claims is my great great grandfather is actually my genetic great great grandfather? yes, if i can find some dna from him.

I know my beliefs aren't silly or myths and they are far above mythology.

again, arrogance.

I follow Christ, not a man-made religion and you may call it whatever you wish.

you do follow a man made religion. look in your holy book, jesus makes up 4 of 66 books.

There are many things you don't understand Madness because of how you approach God's Word. I know, because I was there before.

there are many things you don't understand, WW, because of how you approach the words of people...
i know this because i was there before.

There is both. God's elect are predestined -

can't be. you cannot have both free will and a predestined future.

Those of free will are not. They must make the choice. God can and does involve Himself in the lives of the Elect but He will not do that to one of free will unless they ask.

again, you can't have it both ways. some people not having free will and some having it. it's just a silly rationalization

yes, but read why jesus said it... he said it because people didn't much like him...

Thank you for your answer on this question Madness but I'll have to postphone it until later this afternoon.

just acknowledge that you're following the fallible works of fallible... very fallible.. people.

but this isn't a discussion over scripture in general, or religion in general, it's a discussion over a very narrow topic within that.

save that other stuff for other threads

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

...we have other people talking about them as well..during their lives. we have not a single source that speaks of jesus until decades after his death

So...He is all a great, big, fabricated lie. Steven was stoned to death for following a lie, Peter was crucified upside down for following a lie, men dedicated their lives to following a lie???

Other people taked about Christ too. Why do you believe He wasn't spoken about for decades after His death?

WW - That is no evidence, anyone could have written them, anyone could have their picture carved on a wall, how do you know that is his body, how do you know the statutes are of them. Go ahead - Prove it !!!

Madness -
you're just playing a stupid semantics game here. it's just outright stupid to question the historical validity of the rulers of egypt... or socrates and his student plato....we know it's his body because we found it in his tomb surrounded by his stuff... you're just acting immature here.

That is my point. All of your arguments can be applied to everyone in ancient history. If you choose not to believe that He is real that is your choice but to say He wasn't on earth is a "stupid semantics game, outright stupid and you're just acting immature and arrogant".

So....we will believe what we believe.

WW - There is both. God's elect are predestined -

Madness -
can't be. you cannot have both free will and a predestined future. again, you can't have it both ways. some people not having free will and some having it. it's just a silly rationalization

We can and do. It isn't a rationalization at all but truth. There are reasons for it but you don't seem to be in the frame of mind for hearing truth at that depth yet.

Madness -
yes, but read why jesus said it... he said it because people didn't much like him...

The ones that didn't like Him were the scribes, Pharisees and holy joe's down at the temple.

The Luke 12:8-12 scriptures aren't about people not liking Him but rather about the end of days. For instance, vs.11 - And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say. (12) For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say. That "same hour" is reference to the "hour of temptation" of Rev. 3:10.

Because thou hast kept the word of My patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

In the Olivet Prophecies of Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21 Christ details what is expected of us during that "hour", the time Satan is on earth pretending to be Christ. That is when the unpardonable sin can be committed by one of God's elect:

Luke 21:12. But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for My name's sake.
13.And it shall turn to you for a testimony.
14.Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer.
15.For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.

When the Holy Spirit speaks through the elect many souls will be saved. Again, the seeds that have been planted, as many do on these threads, will germinate then. Until then, some will remain blinded to truth.

The Last Words of Jesus Christ:

Matthew 27:46.And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"
50.Jesus, when He had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

Mark 15:34.And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" which is, being interpreted, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"
37.And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost

Luke23:46. And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, He said, "Father, into thy hands I commend My spirit:" and having said thus, He gave up the ghost.

John 19:30. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, He said, "It is finished:" and He bowed His head, and gave up the ghost.

Christ was teaching us while He was on the cross. He never addressed Father as "God" so what he said when He asked "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken Me" was a quote from Psalms 22. It is a Psalm written by David 1,000 years before the crucifixion, a prophecy of the death of Christ. Please take time to read the entire Psalm and picture Him hanging there while you do.

He probably recited the entire Psalm during the three hours of darkness and ended with "It is finished". I don't see any inconsistencies in His last words. Remember, the event is being told by four different people.

The Death Of Judas:

Matthew 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the Temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

The money Judas threw down, the 30 pieces of silver, was used to purchase a field. He didn't buy it himself. The question arises, did he hang himself and then get sliced open where "all his bowels gushed out" by the chief priests, or their cohorts? They couldn't let others find out what part they played in this. So...did he hang himself and get sliced, did they hang him and slice him too or did he hang there so long he became swollen and naturally burst asunder? We don't know but the reports aren't inconsistencies at all but a further explanation of the event.

............Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

So...He is all a great, big, fabricated lie. Steven was stoned to death for following a lie, Peter was crucified upside down for following a lie, men dedicated their lives to following a lie???

wouldn't be the first or last time that people died for something that wasn't true.

Other people taked about Christ too. Why do you believe He wasn't spoken about for decades after His death?

because the first mention of jesus in any piece of writing is by paul in one of his letters.

That is my point. All of your arguments can be applied to everyone in ancient history. If you choose not to believe that He is real that is your choice but to say He wasn't on earth is a "stupid semantics game, outright stupid and you're just acting immature and arrogant".

no, not at all. you're comparing stuff that has mountains of evidence to a guy that is mentioned only decades after his death in mythological text

you're comparing apples and tow-trucks here.
normally i've heard this argument from others, but they use something like caesar...

the simple fact is that you don't have any reliable evidence to show that your mythological messiah figure existed.

We can and do. It isn't a rationalization at all but truth. There are reasons for it but you don't seem to be in the frame of mind for hearing truth at that depth yet.

^translation "i know something you CAN'T know"

there isn't a frame of mind for hearing the truth, the truth is something that rings true to all people in all mindsets.

The ones that didn't like Him were the scribes, Pharisees and holy joe's down at the temple.

yep, that's how the story goes.

That "same hour" is reference to the "hour of temptation" of Rev. 3:10.

it's a reference to something that wasn't written yet....
yeah, that makes complete sense.

skipping the rest of the theology, we're insanely off topic with it.

The Death Of Judas:

again, you're rationalizing. nowhere does it say judas bought anything, you're adding your own stuff. throwing money down to buying a field is quite a leap...

now... can we get back on topic?

[edit on 9/11/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Please dont bother with this man madness.

He denies everything to further his rebeliion nomatter the miracles or proof.

" Like the toothfairy "

Yea. The toothfairy and speghetti monster have not workded 2000 years of miracles, and created many prophets and apostles, nor did it creat us.

I have seen these miracles in my life. And his grace work in my life.

But will you even give the miracles a chance? The saints are too decent and faultless about what they have seen, they are greater than I, and I would not lie about what ive seen.

Sincere people give stuff a chance. But there is a type of people that have to deny everything, because they are not sincere and dont want proof.

and if proof is given they know they would have to give up sin and put themselves below a creator.

anybody who sees you post madness should realize you lack sincerity. Your not trying to understand anybody.

Your like my brother. He has seen miracles in my life and his, yet because hes a player, he has to shrug it off as if he didnt see it.

Now.

Judas died one way, what bible do you have?

" dude "

Hes a soul of God not a dude.

You see what made me say that?

Gods grace, which gives me love for strangers, and is the only one who follows our lives throughout bith till we die loving and watching like a mother./

Im telling you guys now, this conversation will go nowhere but circles.

peace.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
Please dont bother with this man madness.

yes, just run away from an entire poster because of the words of one person...

He denies everything to further his rebeliion nomatter the miracles or proof.

no, i deny everything that has no proof.

" Like the toothfairy "

Yea. The toothfairy and speghetti monster have not workded 2000 years of miracles, and created many prophets and apostles, nor did it creat us.

again, you can't provide proof. start a thread that proves the existence of your deity, and i'll post in it. just don't threadjack me like you're doing.

I have seen these miracles in my life. And his grace work in my life.

But will you even give the miracles a chance? The saints are too decent and faultless about what they have seen, they are greater than I, and I would not lie about what ive seen.

i never said you were lying, i just said you were mistaken. what you saw wasn't some divine miracle, unless you can actually prove it was.

Sincere people give stuff a chance. But there is a type of people that have to deny everything, because they are not sincere and dont want proof.

um... alright, you really don't know my story... even though i've brought this up many times.
i spent 2 whole years in a completely sincere search for god, allah, yahweh, etc. i looked at all religions and tried to contact god, a god, any god. nothing happened.

and if proof is given they know they would have to give up sin and put themselves below a creator.

ugh... the horribly bigoted stereotype of the atheist. i would have no problem putting myself below a being greater than myself... i already do so, i put myself below people.

and sin? i wouldn't really have to give up anything, i'd just have to start beleiving.

anybody who sees you post madness should realize you lack sincerity. Your not trying to understand anybody.

no, i am trying to understand people. now stop it with the ad hom attack that i "lack sincerity"

Now.

Judas died one way, what bible do you have?

um... he exploded in a field, fell off of a cliff, and hung himself
that's actually 3 ways. i have a catholic bible, a coptic bible, and a protestant bible. all 3 actually say the same thing here, the guy died 3 ways.

seems like someone needs to actually read their bible.

" dude "

Hes a soul of God not a dude.

You see what made me say that?

your inability to accept non-proper nouns?

Gods grace, which gives me love for strangers, and is the only one who follows our lives throughout bith till we die loving and watching like a mother./

um... ok, so what gives ME love for strangers if i lack god's grace? what gives me all that positive stuff that makes people think i'm such a great person if i lack god's grace? why have several priests actually acknowledged that i'm an overall good guy (though i have a bit of a patience problem sometimes), if i lack grace?

Im telling you guys now, this conversation will go nowhere but circles.

only if you continue threadjacking it

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Madness -
wouldn't be the first or last time that people died for something that wasn't true.

You're right of course and they still do. The difference is Peter walked with Christ, he saw the miracles, he saw the healings....he knew He is real.

Other people talked about Christ too. Why do you believe He wasn't spoken about for decades after His death?

Madness -
because the first mention of jesus in any piece of writing is by paul in one of his letters.

But that would be "written" about, not spoken about. Remember Madness, they were being persecuted at the time and in spite of that His word flourished.

That is my point. All of your arguments can be applied to everyone in ancient history. If you choose not to believe that He is real that is your choice but to say He wasn't on earth is a "stupid semantics game, outright
stupid and you're just acting immature and arrogant".

Madness -
no, not at all. you're comparing stuff that has mountains of evidence to a guy that is mentioned only decades after his death in mythological text...
you're comparing apples and tow-trucks here.
normally i've heard this argument from others, but they use something like caesar...the simple fact is that you don't have any reliable evidence to show that your mythological messiah figure existed.

They aren't mythological, the text or the Messiah. The arguments that you use against His existence applies to other historical figures as well.

Madness -
^translation "i know something you CAN'T know"....there isn't a frame of mind for hearing the truth, the truth is something that rings true to all people in all mindsets.

Your statement itself isn't true and if you think about it you will realize that. Where people are in their lives dictates what truths they wish to see.
People seem to have a capacity to justify what they do, to make it a truth whether it is or not. Of course, there is a truth, one truth, but not all recognize it - that's why God is the judge.

As far as me saying "I know something you can't know", that isn't what I'm saying at all. It isn't that you can't know it but rather that you are unable to know it at your present point. That isn't my decision or yours it is just the way it is. No matter what I tell you that I know is true your eyes and ears have not been opened yet and will not receive that truth.

Matthew 13:11 He answered and said unto them, "Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12.For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13.Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14.And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, 'By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15.For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.'

Having eyes and ears closed by God is for their protection. If yours are not opened to truth before the end of days you cannot committ the unpardonable sin. Only God's elect can do that. God's elect are those that know the truth about what will happen then.

Madness -
yep, that's how the story goes.

What reason would others find to not like Him? The miracles, the healings, the preaching about the love of Father???

That "same hour" is reference to the "hour of temptation" of Rev. 3:10.

Madness -
it's a reference to something that wasn't written yet....
yeah, that makes complete sense.

You're right...a bad choice of scripture on my part. We'll go to the Old Testament. That same "hour" is written of there but I warn you, you will have to have "eyes" to see it.

Daniel is speaking to king Nebuchadnezzar but it is also a prophecy about end times. The king of Babylon is a "type" of anti-christ and the events then are an example to us today of what will happen.

Daniel 3:6 And whoso falleth not down and worshippeth shall the same hour be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace."

A herald called out that decree, warning that everyone had to worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar had set up, or be thrown in the fire.

3:15......(snip) but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?

Just as at the end of days, if we worship the image of anti-christ in that same hour (the hour of temptation of anti-christ) we will be "thrown in the fire". There, the 3 Hebrew children did not worship the image, were thrown in the fire and were not harmed. Nor will we be if we "do not worship" him (fall for his deceit).

The Death Of Judas:....again, you're rationalizing. nowhere does it say judas bought anything, you're adding your own stuff. throwing money down to buying a field is quite a leap...now... can we get back on topic?

That was in answer to your question about the death of Judas. Some people believe he bought the field and that it is an inconsistency in the Word. I thought perhaps you did too.....Sorry, I misunderstood.

By the way........What is the topic again???

........Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whirlwind

listen, we're really off topic.... and i think you should realize that. you've threadjacked this in an attempt to avoid the real issue, that there is bigotry in scripture.

now, i'll quickly address your points:
you have no historical evidence for jesus or the 13 apostles
the argument that i provide doesn't stand up to other historical figures whose existence is proven... i already showed that with your attempt at saying "you can't prove socrates and plato exist"

now, back on topic. ok?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There's more evidence for Christ than Julius Caesar, so I guess we should just throw out all of history and assume the world began about 50 years ago.

Bigotry, you say, while quoting a Jew stating Jews are going in the wrong direction. Is this bigotry? It is referring to the Jews:

"But they were disobedient and rebelled against you; they put your law behind their backs. They killed your prophets, who had admonished them in order to turn them back to you; they committed awful blasphemies.

or this:

Has a nation ever changed its gods?
(Yet they are not gods at all.)
But my people have exchanged their [d] Glory
for worthless idols.

Be appalled at this, O heavens,
and shudder with great horror,"
declares the LORD.

"My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

Is Israel a servant, a slave by birth?
Why then has he become plunder?

So what constitutes bigotry? Christianity, the Bible, was not seen as anything separate from Judaism until Paul was in Antioch. It was a sect of Judaism, and, in many ways, still is. There are those that believe their messiah has come, and those that believe He has not. To take individual passages critical of the Jewish leadership at the time and say it is evidence of bigotry requires that you not be familiar with the books of the Prophets that are part of Jewish canon that do exactly the same thing. Anti-Jewish? Hardly. Why, then, would it be written that the good news, the news about the messiah, is to be preached to the Jew first, then the Gentile, and that the Jew is closer to God and has a place that no Gentile could ever attain (the first is verbatim, the second requires more interpretation)?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
There's more evidence for Christ than Julius Caesar, so I guess we should just throw out all of history and assume the world began about 50 years ago.

um... we have the writings of jesus, then?
honestly, i've heard that statement before, but it's an outright lie. we actually have letters that caesar wrote and contemporary accounts of him.... yet none of those for jesus.
your point fails

Bigotry, you say, while quoting a Jew stating Jews are going in the wrong direction. Is this bigotry? It is referring to the Jews:

"But they were disobedient and rebelled against you; they put your law behind their backs. They killed your prophets, who had admonished them in order to turn them back to you; they committed awful blasphemies.

or this:

Has a nation ever changed its gods?
(Yet they are not gods at all.)
But my people have exchanged their [d] Glory
for worthless idols.

Be appalled at this, O heavens,
and shudder with great horror,"
declares the LORD.

"My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

Is Israel a servant, a slave by birth?
Why then has he become plunder?

...i never said it was consistent. i'm just pointing out a point of bigotry, not an overall assessment.

So what constitutes bigotry? Christianity, the Bible, was not seen as anything separate from Judaism until Paul was in Antioch. It was a sect of Judaism, and, in many ways, still is. There are those that believe their messiah has come, and those that believe He has not.

...no, christianity is as close to judaism now as buddhism is to hinduism. it's a religion that has an origin within the one, but is now separate.

To take individual passages critical of the Jewish leadership at the time and say it is evidence of bigotry requires that you not be familiar with the books of the Prophets that are part of Jewish canon that do exactly the same thing.

um...i actually started with a passage about anti-gentile and anti-samaritan bigotry...
to take this thread and say it is critical of a passage in which jesus is critical of the jewish leadership at the time to accuse me of something requires that you not be familiar with the initial post of this thread.

Anti-Jewish? Hardly. Why, then, would it be written that the good news, the news about the messiah, is to be preached to the Jew first, then the Gentile, and that the Jew is closer to God and has a place that no Gentile could ever attain (the first is verbatim, the second requires more interpretation)?

again, it's not consistent bigotry.
in some places it's anti-gentile, in others it's antisemitic because of DIFFERENT HUMAN AUTHORS.

[edit on 9/12/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

listen, we're really off topic.... and i think you should realize that. you've threadjacked this in an attempt to avoid the real issue, that there is bigotry in scripture.

now, i'll quickly address your points:
you have no historical evidence for jesus or the 13 apostles
the argument that i provide doesn't stand up to other historical figures whose existence is proven... i already showed that with your attempt at saying "you can't prove socrates and plato exist"

now, back on topic. ok?

I haven't "threadjacked" as I've just answered the questions you put forth but......we are off topic.

To quickly address your points: I don't agree with them. As I said, the same arguments you use can be used against any historical figure from 2,000 years ago.

I'm not trying to avoid anything as I don't believe there is bigotry in scripture, at least not what God would Himself consider bigotry. That, as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and He is The Beholder.

Please be explicit and show me where you feel scripture is bigoted and if I can, I'll answer.

.........Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

i already have pointed out places, please backtrack and find them yourself.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   

i already have pointed out places, please backtrack and find them yourself.

I answered those Madness.....but you never commented on them, I think...it's been awhile.

........Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

you never commented on all the points of antisemitism i showed to be in john...

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

In response to you believing I didn't answer your question about the bigotry against the Jewish people:

I thought I did comment on this. That is when we got into the "special pleading" thing. In my first two posts, on this thread which I believe are the 4th and 9th, go into more detail but I'll give a short synopsis here.

John
5:16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
7:1 After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him.
7:13 Howbeit no man spake openly of him for fear of the Jews.
8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. (this is jesus talking to jews)
11:8 His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
19:7 The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God. (again blaming the jews for the death of jesus... not the pharisees, all the jews)
19:12 And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar.
20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

Strong's #2453 Ioudaios, from 2448 (in the sense of 2455 as a country): Judean, i.e. belonging to Jehudah - Jew (-ess), of Judaea.
(other descriptions - A region of Pal.: - Judeaea. to become a Judaean, i.e Judaize - live as the Jews, i.e. resembling a Judaean, in a manner resembling a Judaean, the Jewis faith and usages.)

So...this tells us that a "Jew" can be of the Jewish faith or can be a resident of Judea. Also, as Christ Himself tells us, there are those that:

Rev.2:9 .....I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Those are the "Jews" He was speaking to in John 8:44, the ones that are "of your father the devil." The ones that "say they are Jews" but are not.

Jesus was of the tribe of Judah so He was a Jew. His disciples were Jewish. God's chosen people are the 12 tribes of Israel, of which Judah was one. They follow the Jewish laws and prophets. That is what Christianity is based on. There is no bigotry against true Jews so we must ask, who were the Jews that were persecuting Him? Were they of the Jewish faith, were they simply residents of Judea or were they "of the synagogue of Satan"...and "of your father the devil?"

............Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

so you're saying that john is talking about residents of a nation that didn't exist at a time?

sorry, that one falls flat on its face. at the time the area was known as palestine (after philistines)

the argument you put forth also doesn't work in the context...

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   

so you're saying that john is talking about residents of a nation that didn't exist at a time?

sorry, that one falls flat on its face. at the time the area was known as palestine (after philistines)

No, I didn't say Judea was a nation. When called Jew some were of the Jewish faith (of the tribe of Judah), some were simply residents of the area, others were "of the synagogue of Satan".

the argument you put forth also doesn't work in the context...

Why?

........Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

your argument doesn't work because in the area there were jews and non-jews. the non-jews were known as either romans, gentiles or samaritans. those called jews at the time belonged to a specific faith.

in the context of the gospel of john, jew means follower of judaism

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join