It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next Short Story Contest Idea

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Here I was thinking again (amazing, because my head cold over the last few days leaked most of my brains into Kleenex and I thought I was down to my cortex) when I inadvertently thought to myself (my cerebral cortex talking) that since there are a number of REALLY excellent writers (this sentence is getting long, I know) that WHAT IF they tagged up with someone else (a friend or a foe, doesn't matter), what would a collaborative effort like that bring about?

All of you experienced writers could find someone you perceive to be an excellent wordsmith and tag up with him/her to enter a story into a contest that you both put together.

I'm thinking Essedarius and Dr Love, Majic and Lysergic, antar and sleeper...

Oh... the stories they could tell...

What do you think? Is this a great idea OR WHAT?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It worked for The Talisman.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Do two schizophrenics count as two or more teams?

OK, I'll stop.

I am looking forward to this. Should be some good reading.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm game, if anyone is interested in teaming up with me, just holla!!

Nice idea masqua, could be great fun.
Any idea's on the format, ie, a chapter each, someone do the beginning and someone the end or write a paragraph and then the partner writes the next and so on.
You realise that this could also mean the end to some beautiful friendships, writers are notoriously stubborn when it comes to their work.

So who wants to carry mojo!!

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Oh my yes! What a great idea masqua, question is who are You going to team up with?

sleeper huh? Couldn't collaborate with any better... It would be my honor and privilege. The ideas are already racing, (ouch).

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If I was to team up with someone to enter this possible contest, I'd first have to disqualify myself as a judge. Now, if I could find someone to team up with just for the fun of it and not enter, then that might work.

Yeah... that's the ticket

Hmmm. Who, though? *rattles empty skull*

There's always my alter ego... the one who comes out when flashing pop-ups calling me the millionth keystroker gives me a minor seizure...

But, that's still just me, isn't it? Aren't you?

No, I'm not!!!

Yes, you are... go away!!!

*sulk*

That's better. Now, where was I?

Oh, yes. I'd pick John Lear.

---------------------------------------

Alter ego kicks in.

How would we set this up?

An Idea

A story with dialogue would work. Let's say 2 or 3 members get together (no more, cuz that could get messy) work out a basic scenario.
-------------------------------
ie. infiltrating Area51 (I'm thinking Norio now)

You establish a set of occurences... planning the sneaking in part, getting ready, being scared, scoping out the guards, going in, getting caught, escaping after one of you gets blown away by a C-130 gunship... bla bla bla.

Once a skeleton of a story is kinda ready, then each of the 2 or 3 members are characters playing it out with dialogue.

ie., I say to John Lear;

"But, John... you said that you were gonna bring that bloody wirecutter"

and John replies;

"Masqua... if you had a clue, you know I'm always prepared. I got packets of thermite on my handy dandy utility belt for getting through that gate"

And I say;

"ooooh... kay
."

------------------------
OR

You could set something up the way mojo4sale just described.

Don't matter how or what subject... just as long as it's a collaborative piece of work.

Here's the deal:

If I get a post on here (or a U2U) from 2 or 3 members who want to try this, then I will give them writer status so that they can work out their story in the Collaborative Fiction forum. Once you think you have a good story worked out, then put it all together and post it into the Contest.

Once I see that there are at the very least 5 groups interested in trying this out, I'll announce the contest, the rules and the prizes.

[edit on 8/9/07 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
OK, I sat the last one out, but not this time. I want in on the fun. I hope we get enough teams to make a go of this.

Come on writers, let's do this. This can be the best ever.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

check u2u.

mojo

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Uh, oh... that sounds ominous.

The really fun part is this... each team will be able to watch how the others are coming along and how their story is taking shape.

That is if they work overtly... if they go under cover and collude in hidden places... well, spies may get involved.

:shk:

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Hey no fair giving away secrets lol.

How about a u2u to the writers of the say the past 2 or 3 contests to let them know whats on?

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
A Candid View

There are some good reasons for going this route with a contest;

1) as it is open to all members, new or old, staff and non-staff, I see it as an opportunity to create little 'workshops' using Collaborative Fiction, Profiles and the U2U system in order to develop a fictional scenario based on the material that makes this website so interesting.

2) the experience of 'putting heads together' should create the result of much more interesting stories.

I'm hoping that those interested will contact someone else from among the membership and agree to make the attempt towards a submission.

If there is insufficient interest shown, either in this thread or by U2U's to me, then there is no sense in announcing this contest formally. A contest with 3 submissions and 5 prizes would be... erm... disappointing(?).

I'd like to create interest in two directions...one, that the writing forums are a place to put forward life experiences in such a manner that is supported by input from others and, two, that they are a place for creative writing backed by collaborative effort.

The prizes will be shared equally. If the maximum of 3 members win 1rst prize, then all 3 win an equal amount, no matter which username made the entry.

ie- if the story Stool Pidgeon by Dr Love, Essedarius and sleeper wins and was entered by Dr Love, then all 3 win the same prize amount.

The contest will run from official announcement over a sufficient amount of time to allow for careful craftmanship.

There will be a request for judges from among the membership to ensure a fair method of picking the winners. These judges will also gain sufficient points awards to make their efforts worthwhile. All former judges are welcomed.

m4s... I'm hoping that all those who were interested in earlier contests will try to contact others who may have never contemplated submitting stories before.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Well, I took your lead masqua and invited sleeper to collaborate in a story for the contest and he had to decline as his time is to spread out at this point, and the Gods just do not give us enough hours in a day...
So I am open to anyone interested in writing something with me. They can contact me here or by U2U.
I already have a couple of strong story ideas and think that with the right partner and of course their ideas and expertise we could be winners!
I learned so much from the last contest and had a great time submitting my first story and look forward to many more.
I can't wait to share my idea's with anyone interested so with that said, lets get going!

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Geez... that's too bad about sleeper declining. I had high hopes that he would use such a venue to help send out a particular message.

I doubt if the old fable of the turtle and the hare is factual, but the message that lies in the story certainly has merit. So is the story of the boy who cried wolf.

I wouldn't have thought he'd pass on such an opportunity.

One more thing, though... I know we regularly have a Halloween Short Story contest that runs up until October 31rst. Maybe the topic should be based on the spirits which haunt that season.

(just a thought)

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
That sounds like a great idea to me masqua. I suppose alot of people are getting back into school and it is a busy time of year for most, the extra time would be a plus. I would think that collaborating will take a substancial amount of time to get out as well. A scary story huh? I like it count me in.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
HOHhh boy!!! (all excited now)

Count me in!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Yes, count me in! and did you see, after all the massages and hugs and kisses masqua didn't even mention me as someone to team up with *sigh*

Ah well...

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Shearder, thats probably because hes holding you in reserves in case John shoots him down... maybe...

I U2Ued D4rk Kn1ght to collaborate a scary scenario surrounding Dark Knight, but I guess hes too busy heading out back to even reply to me, so now I have asked DgTempe, lets see what she has to say... (Fingers crossed) I want this to be sooo scary that even I run for cover while writing it....

[edit on 11-9-2007 by antar]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Unfortunately my original partner has had to pull out due to unforseen circumstances. (maybe he read one of my storys,
)

If anyone is interested in teaming up send me a u2u. But beware, you will be expected to supply the majority of talent.

*mojo crosses fingers*

mojo.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
If, after another couple of days, there remains a dearth of members willing to attempt a collaborative effort, then we will naturally fall back on our regular form of contest with submissions from individual members.

There WILL be a Halloween contest, of that I'm certain, so, you can start thinking about what your story is going to be about. Look for an announcement within a week.

We can always try to do something collaborative another time.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Antar thank you for the invite and i will

be honored to work with you! Consider me in.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join