It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Smokers' Rights: Plus a few questions for my fellow addicts.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

I agree, the smoking laws are infringing on our rights! And being hypocritical about it too, at least thats how I tend to see it. (for now)
hypocritical because;
What about fossil fuel car exhaust, it contains carbon monoxide also, more so I would imagine, and also I dont drive, then so, should not car owners, to the same effect of these new smoking laws, keep their cars 20 feet away from the entrance of any building too?

P.S. - RYO brand of choice for me is TOP®

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I must say that this is one of those threads that just "have" to post on. I think I have only posted twice. I have very strong feelings on this issue. I have posted my thoughts several times, on my web site.

People should be bothered...real troubled and uncomfortable, about having their own personal choices legislated to them. It is ver important to protect the rights of others in order to protect "your" own rights. People just seem to miss the point.

I am a very conservitive Christian. But I got worried when, in our area, they passed a law stating we could no longer burn leaves! It was for health reasons. We all live in this world together. We have to stop being so petty.

Smokers have every right to smoke. I have the right to eat trans fats and oreo cookies and McDonalds burgers and MSG and chocolet cake and whole milk!

I never thought I would see the day when such things were dictated to people and they would stand by and take it...with out laughing at the person dictating such things. Everytime I open a window or go outside I breathe carsinagins (Cancer causing stuff). Not because I want to but because I have to. Carcinagens are in every breath you breathe.

You can smoke in my house and at my hubby and I's church and people have. I want folks to be comfortable. We do not send people outside and make specticles of them. For heaven sake, what have we come to that we approve of such trivial drival. Is this what the legislatures do all day.

The laws about smokeing become effective in January here. It smells worse than the smoke ever did. Sorry for all the mispellings but I have to hurry and get the color out of my hair!!!!LOL.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Of course people should be allowed to smoke. That is their right. The same as those people who dont want to breath that smoke have their rights too.

Smoking is dangerous to your health. It is also dangerous to other peoples health, thats a proven fact, and other people dont have the right to have a direct effect on MY health. Its as simple as that.

We were recently in France and my quite superb dinner was ruined when someone on the next table lit up a cigarette whilst I was still eating my main course.
We refused the desert and left early and on passing their table I broke wind, quite loudly, when the dear lady at the table objected I simply told her the smell from my intestines wasnt as objectionable as the smell from her cigarette. and I heard someone from another tables say "D'accord"

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei

Cigarettes are indeed a hazard to ones' health. However, if someone chooses to partake in an act that they know is not good for them, as long as they hurt no one else in the process, it is THEIR right and they shouldn't be punished because of those out there that do not agree with them

Well said buddy!

I am too sick of these ridiculous [snip] laws, really... whats next? Soon, we will have to leave the bloody planet to have a cigarette!!
And people who don't like smoke, all you have do to is simply ask "Excuse me, could you please not smoke around me?" Personally if I am asked politely, I will walk away and smoke somewhere else.. BUT.. If I'm told to stop smoking without being asked respectfully then thats a different story.
And already we are being charged ridiculous dollars for something thats not only killing us, but something that many of us have no control over.. (talking about quitting) AND they decide to make us pay more and more every year...and they know how hard it is to quit, so they keep on playing this game.... How much more pathetic can it get??

P.S

I smoke Marlboro 8 mg/s - but seriously considering buying rollies from now on. If this BS continues... Or... you know what?? I might even quit !!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Personally, i cannot see why a sane, intelligent person chooses to smoke.

Smoke = Get sick

Is that so effing hard to understand. People who smoke should visit a seriously ill person ( non-smoking Or Smoking related ) and see how much they should take there life for granted. Why kill yourself slowly and waste the money. people who smoke need to have a bloody good look at themselves. It's ridiculous. I look at people who smoke with disgust as they take their life for granted while others fight for theirs.

Total insanity. Disgusting.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
ummmmm......in that case, well, WORK, must cost a heck of alot of money with it's corpal tunnel injuries, back injuriens, loss of limbs, ect.....
maybe we should ban that???

I'm the american who laid in a bed for a week with her leg in a splint while and called all over the place looking for help when the doctor wanted an outrageous down payment to set it....if someone hassles me over the cigarettes citing the cost of my habit to society....I'll guickly tell them where to go!!
maybe before this excuse is used....people should at least make sure that the people it is being used against have access to healthcare!!

this what we get though when we allow the cost of living to skyrocket while the wages lie stagnate or slide downward....people need help, they are given the help, but then there's always gonna be strings attached to that help....there is a loss of freedom...

you live in a country with a stupidly crappy health system, it is all private and the private company's are doing nothing but trying to make money, and the way to do that is to give you less health care so thats what they do. something like a broken leg doesn't cost as much to fix and it's not a thing that you can do all that much to prevent whereas smoking you can prevent most of the illness or at least lower the chance of getting sick from cigarettes by not smoking.

what kind of freedom do you have, your government is paranoid about terrorism, your president is coming to Australia and the amount of personel following him is just stupid, SUV s with mini gun turrets, helecopters but thats beside the point.

so you don't have access to health care but you keep doing something that is going to give you huge medical expences, that doesn't make sence to me how about you?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
the broken ankle cost $20,000 to fix......so much for it not costing that much.

as far as my choice in what actions I take...well
I come into contact at work with substances that do the same type of damage as cigarettes are said to do...(really I'd bet that it's the chemicals they add to the cigarettes that are doing the damage).....But, I still spend 8 or more hours a day at work!!!
then I hop in my car and drive......again, chemicals that are much similar to the smoke from my cig...
then, I go home, and well, I have to eat.....more chemical additives...
or maybe we'll go out somewhere to eat and the nice lady next to me may have just a tad bit overdone it with the perfume....more chemicals added to the martini of death...
we pay with cash...the ink is toxic...

oh, ya, forgot the big one....I have to drink something.....what a great dose of flouride and chlorine...I'm allergic to chlorine by the way...
laundry needs to be done??
house needs to be clean?

the smoke is but a tiny little fragment of all the toxins I happen to come into contact with on a daily basis......it's unavoidable....so, well...eat drink and be marry, and kill yourself in the process.

if you were bush....would you run around the world without protection? he isn't clinton remember, clinton was pretty much liked by most people, or at least not hated..

[edit on 4-9-2007 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MASH_DADDY
And already we are being charged ridiculous dollars for something thats not only killing us, but something that many of us have no control over.. (talking about quitting) AND they decide to make us pay more and more every year...and they know how hard it is to quit, so they keep on playing this game.... How much more pathetic can it get??

bwuahahahahahahahah....complaining cause YOU are addicted and THEY keep cranking up the prices...

sounds like you keep playing the game...you keep buying and smoking them...nobody is making you do it...
you make the arguments for the non smokers...

it IS killing you(and others that have to breathe it in) and some have no control over their addiction(and non smokers can't control the second hand smoke they inhale)

thanks for that.

i think it is more rediculous that you pay rediculous for something that is killing you. for something you have no control over.

again

hahahah bwuahahahahahaha

maybe you should, i unno, quit.
it can be done. you just have to do it

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I come into contact at work with substances that do the same type of damage as cigarettes are said to do.....again, chemicals that are much similar to the smoke from my cig...
.....more chemical additives...
...more chemicals added to the martini of death...
we pay with cash...the ink is toxic....what a great dose of flouride and chlorine....
laundry needs to be done??
house needs to be clean?

the smoke is but a tiny little fragment of all the toxins I happen to come into contact with on a daily basis

Here is the truth of the matter. We come into contact with all kinds of chemicals everyday. Unless you live like a hermit then you come into contact by choice. Everything from tap water to bathroom disinfectant has carcinogens in them. Look at the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for the chemicals. But it is my smoke that you single out. You say that my second hand smoke is causing cancer well I call BS. My second hand smoke is not as dangerous as you being 30 lbs overweight. My second hand smoke is not going to cause you to drop dead of a heart attack while you are behind the wheel of a car.

I agree that my right to smoke stops at the end of your nose, but you nose does not extend 30 feet out side of a building. Your nose should not be in my designated smoking area. You have the right to walk away from me. And if you are that worried about your health why do I see you at the snack machine 3 times a day. Why dont you start a movement to ban all junk food in public places, only fruits, vegetables and purified water. After all chemicals kill.

And one more thing, If my second hand smoke is killing you, Then I dont want you cell phone near me. After all the have been shown to cause cancer too.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultralo1
And one more thing, If my second hand smoke is killing you, Then I dont want you cell phone near me. After all the have been shown to cause cancer too.

Really??
Care to quote a definitive statement on that? as I dont think you can.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My Opinion

"bwuahahahahahahahah....complaining cause YOU are addicted and THEY keep cranking up the prices...

Whats wrong with addiction? addiction is cool. If your not addicted your just

not with it.

sounds like you keep playing the game...you keep buying and smoking them...nobody is making you do it...
you make the arguments for the non smokers...

Duh thats what you do with cigarettes!!! after their smoked you go get more!

what arguments?

it IS killing you(and others that have to breathe it in) and some have no control over their addiction(and non smokers can't control the second hand smoke they inhale)

thanks for that."

I'm glad smokers could help, I'm sure theres a collective your welcome.

i think it is more rediculous that you pay rediculous for something that is killing you. for something you have no control over.

whatever! alot of people think alot of things are rediculous!

maybe you should, i unno, quit.
it can be done. you just have to do it

Some people just may do it and some may not but theres one thing I know

It doesnt matter.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton

Really??
Care to quote a definitive statement on that? as I dont think you can.

www.consumeraffairs.com...
www.consumeraffairs.com...[/ url]
[url=http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/600_phone.html]
www.fda.gov...
Now that you have that, Why did you pick only the one thing out of my post to call into question? Cant argue against the others?
Who dare you FART on someone, and then call my smoking disgusting. That is the pot calling the kettle black.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by ultralo1]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
the tories in great britain want reward you for following their "healthy lifestyle prescription...or penalizing you if you don't.

They want to hand out "NHS Health Miles Cards"

Patients would be handed "NHS Health Miles Cards" allowing them to earn reward points for losing weight, giving up smoking, or attending regular health screenings.

The points could be redeemed as discounts on gym membership and fresh fruit and vegetables, or even give priority for other public services - such as jumping the queue for council housing.

But heavy smokers, the obese and binge drinkers could be denied some routine treatments such as hip replacements until they cleaned up their act.

I'll just keep waiting for the US to get in gear before I quite smoking.....don't want to miss out on all those points that I will need to save on those expensive fruits and vegatables!!

and oh...ya....special preferences for other gov't programs!! we are a society where the haves have to have a few have nots running around to make them feel good about themselves. But, I guess we've deciding that the poor going without is just so uncool...time to rewrite the rules and come up with a new group of have nots...
by the way, people, I keep going back to them toxic workplace......many of those toxins are the same ones they have in cigarettes...so, umm....even it you quit smoking, how you gonna prove it, your workplace will be giving you the same health conditions in many cases. the food you eat more than likely will be saturated will corn syrups and growth hormones, so how ya gonna explain why your still overweight while you following their healthy lifestyle?

can't wait to see the british reaction when everyone quits smoking, eats their perscribed diets, gets all the shots, exercises themselves to death, and well, still have the same health problems...because, well, ain't no one cleaning up the air, ain't no one cleaning up the water, ain't no one cleaning up the food supply.....the three main ingredients to healthy living!!

[edit on 5-9-2007 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Now that you have that, Why did you pick only the one thing out of my post to call into question? Cant argue against the others?

Have what? ifs and maybe's and might be's? There is not One Single confirmed case of a cellphone causing cancer despite your links,

Who dare you FART on someone, and then call my smoking disgusting. That is the pot calling the kettle black.
[edit on 4-9-2007 by ultralo1]

My very expensive dinner was ruined by someone smoking next to me.
Smoke which could endanger my health. My gas was not dangerous and made my point abundantly clear to the person in question

[edit on 5/9/07 by Chorlton]

[edit on 5/9/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

It wont happen. Under the National Health Service it simply wouldnt be allowed.

Its just the Tories trying to make headlines. Any publicity for them is good publicity even if it is lies

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   

ifs and maybe's and might be's? There is not One Single confirmed case of a cellphone causing cancer despite your links,

Kinda like second hand smoke causing cancer

Originally posted by Chorlton

My very expensive dinner was ruined by someone smoking next to me.

You had a choice of where to eat your expensive dinner. Next time pick a non smoking restaurant.

Smoke which could endanger my health

How about the expensive meal? How much cholesteral and fat was in that? How about preservatives?

My gas was not dangerous and made my point abundantly clear to the person in question

It just shows your character

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Kinda like second hand smoke causing cancer

No thats quite definatly known about and well researched unlike your ideas of telephones

You had a choice of where to eat your expensive dinner. Next time pick a non smoking restaurant.

Your knowledge of Paris is limited then?

How about the expensive meal? How much cholesteral and fat was in that? How about preservatives?

Very little actually, It was lobster Thermidor

It just shows your character

So you dont break wind then? I bow to you oh drug taking superman

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My Opinions

Second hand smoke doesnt cause cancer anymore than cellphones, You can

find studies that say anything.

If you dont like smoking in resteraunts then maybe pick a non smoking

resteraunt or if your in a city with no Non smoking resteraunts then maybe it

time to start going to other cities.

People could do the simplist things to avoid all the hassel they make for

themselves, but because they want it their way they go and make life

difficult for everybody.

these have been my opinions

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ultralo1

how much nasty stuff HE puts on/in HIS food is HIS choice....see the difference here.

about sitting in the non smoking section....yeah, cause that works....

for the record again, i voted for the ban cause of the inconvenience of me having to smell smoke in restaurants but i wish i had not.....i do agree that i could sit further away cause this has opened a door but i do not wish i had not so people could smoke up.....

all these things you and others mention are great...i put toxins into my body too. thing is, it's my choice..

anyway, keep on rolling your own people.....

news.yahoo.com...
Hand-rolled cigarettes more carcinogenic: study

While smokers of hand-rolled cigarettes "consumed (fewer) cigarettes, and statistically had fewer years of smoking, hand-rolled cigarettes were more carcinogenic, resulting in a higher incidence of lung cancer development," the study by Heidi Rolke, of Norway's Sorlandet Hospital, said.

good luck with the leukaplekia

check out the smoke wafting through the restaurant.....so yeah, so much for a non smoking section

en.wikipedia.org...
Passive smoking (also known as secondhand smoking, involuntary smoking, exposure to environmental tobacco smoke, or ETS exposure) occurs when smoke from one person's burning tobacco product (or the smoke exhaled by the smoker) is inhaled by others. Current scientific evidence shows that exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke causes death, disease and disability

Research has generated scientific evidence that secondhand smoke (i.e. in case of cigarette, a mixture of smoke released from the smoldering end of the cigarette and smoke exhaled by the smoker) causes the same problems as direct smoking, including heart disease,[5] cardiovascular disease, lung cancer, and lung ailments such as COPD, bronchitis and asthma.[6] Specifically, meta-analyses have shown lifelong non-smokers with partners who smoke in the home have a 20–30% greater risk of lung cancer, and those exposed to cigarette smoke in the workplace have an increased risk of 16–19%

Persons with asthma can experience attacks brought on by passive smoking[46] whether they are adults or children

Tobacco smoke is an irritant, and allergy sufferers can experience stuffy or runny noses, watery or burning eyes, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, a feeling of suffocation, and other typical allergy symptoms within minutes of exposure. Some people with no known allergies and without asthma may cough in smoke-filled rooms, get headaches, feel nauseated, feel sleepy, and experience other ill effects, when they would not normally exhibit these symptoms without the presence of smoke

...Epidemiological studies show that non-smokers exposed to secondhand smoke are at risk for many of the health problems associated with direct smoking.......

In 1992, the Journal of the American Medical Association published a review of the available evidence regarding the relationship between secondhand smoke and heart disease, and estimated that passive smoking was responsible for 35,000 to 40,000 deaths per year in the United States in the early 1980s

The International Agency for Research on Cancer of the World Health Organization concluded in 2002 that

There is sufficient evidence that involuntary smoking (exposure to secondhand or 'environmental' tobacco smoke) causes lung cancer in humans. Involuntary smoking (exposure to secondhand or 'environmental' tobacco smoke) is carcinogenic to humans (Group 1)

In May 2006, the United States Centers for Disease Control issued its first new study on secondhand smoke in 20 years. Surgeon General Richard Carmona summarized:

The health effects of secondhand smoke exposure are more pervasive than we previously thought. The scientific evidence is now indisputable: secondhand smoke is not a mere annoyance. It is a serious health hazard that can lead to disease and premature death in children and nonsmoking adults

---------

so yeah, keep justifying it

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
hey, turn the smoking bans into something more in the line of alleviating the discomforts of asthma and allergies, and I'll be the first one to support it...since well, if it triggers allergy symptoms in some of us, it is really an allergin to all of us...it's just luck we aren't reacting.....

but then, well, be prepared to change your lifestyles, since it's more than cigarette smoke that will trigger an asthma attack.....lots more.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join