It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Smokers' Rights: Plus a few questions for my fellow addicts.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ilikebluepez

I know what you are saying. I also know people like that. Some that smoke and live to be a hundred and some who are non smokers live to be 40.......but how about breathing aspestos? Do you have to have cancer genes to develop cancer?

Amon Goeth

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Montecristo or Trinidad cigars........30-180 each .........Cuban is high thanks to that [SNIP] JFK

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
Montecristo or Trinidad cigars........30-180 each .........Cuban is high thanks to that [SNIP] JFK

[REMOVED INSULTING REMARK ]

So, you would rather have Russian nuclear missiles in Cuba capable of reaching the US in minutes so you can have cheaper Cuban cigars? I sure hope that was sarcasm.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm too lazy to roll my own - if I did I'd use Natural American Spirit tobacco. I do save about $20 a carton by getting them at the Indian reservation.

I almost never get sick, I wonder if smoking has something to do with that. I've wondered this for a while. Must be something killing off them viruses that everyone else gets hammered by.

I sure don't like the second class treatment. Pretty sad that people will think I'm a bad person and what not just because I smoke. Oh well.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It's a horrible habit, and a stupid thing to start doing. Some people indulge themselves with inhealthy things, there is obese people, alchoolics, druggies. Doesn't mean you have to, because others do so, most people are amazingly stupid, don't copy them. No pity for you, your buying those things yet you know they are horrible for your health, couldn't care less if your unhappy about the prices.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Amon Goeth

I am not a scientist and do not know if you have to have the cancer gene to develop cancer. Stating that I believe that there are "triggers" and then there are "causes". Asbestos seems to be a cause rather than a trigger.

Saccharin has been proved to cause cancer in large doses (those rats were fed the equivalent to 1000 diet sodas a day, and by golly....they had tumors.) But my take on that is that 1000 of any friggin thing a day is bound to be bad for you. So I stick to the pink stuff and don't mess with those others at all. (backwards chlorine atoms taste sweet. So does anti freeze. Doesn't mean Im putting it in my coffee.) Is it a cause or a trigger? I don't know.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Although I have a habit of not smoking around nonsmokers, I have been harassed several times over the last few years for nothing more than possessing a pack of unlit cigarettes. (“oh, you smoke? You know you really should quit”)

I usually respond to such unsolicited advice by informing the person that my grandfather lived until the age of 95.

This invariably leads the imposing individual to ask: “Did your grandfather smoke?”

No, he minded his own dam business.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
personally i am not a smoker but that doesn't take away your rights, i should have the right to clean air and you should have the right to Smokey air do what you want,

one of the only problems i have with smoking is the cost to the health system (i live in Australia) as long as people pay for there own smoking related illness i couldn't care less if you smoked 100 a day, i agree that some of the laws are just getting stupid, except for ones like you can't smoke in your car if you have children inside, that I'm fine with.

the government is constantly telling us that smoking does this and that to your health, but my granddad started smoking when he was 7 and died of cancer when he was 85, after his life expectancy so i don't know what to think

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinker_1
[

Mod Edit - Removed Remark

that very well may be....so?
so i suck in unmeasured toxins from vehicles, i should have to suck in unmeasured toxins from your second hand smoke too?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by the lomph
one of the only problems i have with smoking is the cost to the health system (i live in Australia) as long as people pay for there own smoking related illness i couldn't care less if you smoked 100 a day, i agree that some of the laws are just getting stupid, except for ones like you can't smoke in your car if you have children inside, that I'm fine with.

Well if the health costs are what is driving the smoking banns then lets add some other things that cost the health system too. How about obesity? Take away their food. How about speeding? Take away their car. Sex with many partners? Take away their.....uh.... Bad parenting? Take the kids. Lets get rid of all things that cost our health system like bicycles and motorcycles. How about stupid people who do stupid things worthy of Darwin Awards, even though they take care of themselves for us. Let us enforce the wearing of armour so none get hurt and cost us money.
What I don't understand, maybe I do, is why the power lines that cause brain cancer in children haven't been removed????? How about polluting industries? Why are they still running while people die around them. In Ontario Canada we have Sarnia, Ontario - also called Chemical Valley and Cancer Valley where oil refineries and chemical companies pour tones and tones of crap in the air while people drop like flies around them.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

that very well may be....so?
so i suck in unmeasured toxins from vehicles, i should have to suck in unmeasured toxins from your second hand smoke too?

yep... and now that i know the messure of morality for your average non smoker, i could really care less how much smoke you inhale when im walking down the street.

why do you even get out of bed? it would be much safer and more comfortable for you to never leave your security blanket.

vehicles? not even close to your only concern, that poster listed 20 things that you could look into, but your ignorance blinded you to only see red and smoke.

i wonder how many chemicles you apply to your body daily just so you can convince yourself your clean, and smell fresh

humans have been smoking longer than they have been useing toilet paper. [SNIP]

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm an ex-smoker, I'm 30 and had a heart attack this past April, of course my diet was bad, but doctor explained that smoking constricted blood vessels, which for me led to a blockage. I had to have 2 stents put in my chest to reopen the vessels. Needless to say I quit cold turkey and never looked back, something that scary was enough to scare the addiction out of me, never even had withdrawals really.

I still can't believe having a heart attack at 30, but I was a 2 pack a day smoker, I've always had a semi-active life, would have never thought it would happen, I won't blame smoking 100% but I will say it did play a part by constricting the blood vessels it caused it to happen earlier than it would have.

In some ways its good that if I had to have a heart attack then it happened at 30 when my body is still fairly strong, and plenty of time to reverse the harm I've done.

Anyhow, I tell people, forget the lung cancer, it helped give me a heart attack.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

that is some bad news, im glad that you came out alright. exercise is the key. back when smoking was first enjoyed, it was a time when people had to apply more energy just to complete the day, like longer walks, skinning meat, plowing fields (or rooting them hevan forbid) everything was more active.

now day people barely move through out the day and they are pumping al sorts of crud into their system without ever cycling. i look at it like the need to take your car out on the highway once a week to push out all the extra carbon or whatever crap builds up inside your exhaust you builit up by putting around the city.

im creeping on 30 myself, i do drywall by the foot, 8 hrs a day and i treat it like a sport. but that is like sticking a weightlifet in room full of smokers and expecting to keep his pipes clean, I need to start running more.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

whats with the tirade man?
there are many things i can be concerned with....me smelling the stench of other peoples funky smokes is one of them..
it's a personal matter and i was a 10 year smoker....

i don't too much care how long people have been smoking. i think it is disgusting and while i don't approe of all the non smoking laws, it don't bother me for the fact that you poor smokers can't smoke but more of a 'whats next' type of thing...

besides that, it's not about what I put into MY body. it's about what smokers FORCE me to put into my body, my clothes, my hair.

i can walk down the street to the convenient store, cars all over the place and not smell like exhaust fumes. as soon as i get to the store if i walk by a smoker in the front by the door, now i smell like smoke so, take the car argument somewhere else please.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

some people like smell of tobacco, and sulfur and other strange things, because you personally dont like the smell of tobacco, we should have laws set in place to keep others from offending your personal dislikes?

boy we are in some trouble here.

i personally hate the smell of perfume, and under arm deoderant, i think i should be able show just as much prejudice against those offenders of my personal dislikes as much as others show against me smoking, but im a moral person who believe "to each thier own" and do not force my opinions onto others. non smokers seem to have started a sort of cult against all those that dont see it thier way.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinker_1

Originally posted by the lomph

Well if the health costs are what is driving the smoking banns then lets add some other things that cost the health system too. How about obesity? Take away their food. How about speeding? Take away their car. Sex with many partners? Take away their.....uh.... Bad parenting? Take the kids. Lets get rid of all things that cost our health system like bicycles and motorcycles. How about stupid people who do stupid things worthy of Darwin Awards, even though they take care of themselves for us. Let us enforce the wearing of armour so none get hurt and cost us money.
What I don't understand, maybe I do, is why the power lines that cause brain cancer in children haven't been removed????? How about polluting industries? Why are they still running while people die around them. In Ontario Canada we have Sarnia, Ontario - also called Chemical Valley and Cancer Valley where oil refineries and chemical companies pour tones and tones of crap in the air while people drop like flies around them.

speeding is a revenue builder, i couldn't care less if you took away fast food, i don't eat it and i think the health system shouldn't have to pay for the people with illness related to eating excessive amounts of the stuff, yes take away there bad parenting it will be better for society in the future, bicycles are good they help people loss weight....wear a helmet a few scratches on your arms or legs aren't gonna kill you, motorcycles aren't all that bad compared to cigarettes especially if your wearing proper gear, I'm sure if you were to look at some statistics the cost from cigarettes is far greater than motorcycles, In 2002, smoking-related hospitalisations cost the West Australian health system over $60 million and Health economists have estimated that in 1998-99 the tangible and intangible costs of smoking to Australia were $21.1 billion (in Australia) it would make a good population control if it didn't cost the country so much, the secondary smoke children have to tolerate gives them cancer why don't you ban cigarette smoking near children? it's your government you have to ask about the industry, i would guess it's making way to much money off of these big corporations to even think about stopping them.

look if you want to smoke and f**k your self up then go ahead and do it, just don't go crying to the government for help when 20 years from now you discover you have some hideous disease caused by smoking, it just costs people like me money i don't want to be paying higher taxes because you can't kick the habit.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
ummmmm......in that case, well, WORK, must cost a heck of alot of money with it's corpal tunnel injuries, back injuriens, loss of limbs, ect.....
maybe we should ban that???

I'm the american who laid in a bed for a week with her leg in a splint while and called all over the place looking for help when the doctor wanted an outrageous down payment to set it....if someone hassles me over the cigarettes citing the cost of my habit to society....I'll guickly tell them where to go!!
maybe before this excuse is used....people should at least make sure that the people it is being used against have access to healthcare!!

this what we get though when we allow the cost of living to skyrocket while the wages lie stagnate or slide downward....people need help, they are given the help, but then there's always gonna be strings attached to that help....there is a loss of freedom...

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose

some people like smell of tobacco, and sulfur and other strange things, because you personally dont like the smell of tobacco, we should have laws set in place to keep others from offending your personal dislikes?

no, becasue i don't like the smell, it is loaded with poisons, i don't want it wafting in my hair/clothes/lungs...
those are the reasons....

i am all about doing what you want, SO LONG AS IT DON"T EFFECT OTHERS...i don't know how many times i have to say that.
i voted for th esmoking ban and i wish i would not have. now that i look back on it, i think it was a bad move.
aside from that, i don't care if you smoke in your house, in your car, when you're walking down the street.
i don't think smokers should be able to stand in the doorway of a store or a building puffing away, dropping their butts on the ground.

you know what, when i can stand outside the convenient store and smoke a joint, i will jump on board your cause of being able to smoke a butt k?

you can compare it to all sorts of things like perfume and such but people don't blow perfume out of their mouth and into the air, for it to waft around and get inhaled again.....you do see that right?

in the end, this whole big long thread is nothing but an attempt at certain smokers in here to justify what they do.
very simple....want to smoke? cool...keep it away from me...

i want to tell this story cause it makes me LOL.
in cleveland a few years ago, they wanted to make improvements to jacobs field(where the indians lay)...so, they cranked the taxes on smokes way up in cleveland and used that extra monies from smokes to fix up the stadium.
so, they put all this money into the stadium that was gained by cig taxes, then, they make it a no smking stadium except for this small deck on the upper level....bwuahahahahahahah

i remember all these baseball fans, indians fans being all proud when thry bought a pack of reds cause the 'new jake' was getting built....then they get bambozled

too funny.
people at the baseball park don't want to smell that crap...up to the upper deck with ya...keep your leukaplekia to yourself

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join