It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Inevitable Singularity

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think lack of oil production, oil overconsumption, rocketing fuel prices, overpopulation, economic problems, a resurgent Russia wealthy from oil, and a potential Third World War will probably post pone if not completely prevent the Singularity from occuring.

Check out the Grim Meathook Future

en.wikipedia.org...

events.ccc.de...

Oh and I forgot one more Climate Change.

[edit on 25/8/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I think the meathook scenerio is a reality for most of the world and in the west we are in a sort of surreal bubble that is exponentially crumbling. Most people I know realize this and are either drinking themselves to death or are on meth and other drugs. Also it seems not many people want to talk about this because they just dont see any solutions and it hurts to think about.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by priloco
I think the meathook scenerio is a reality for most of the world and in the west we are in a sort of surreal bubble that is exponentially crumbling. Most people I know realize this and are either drinking themselves to death or are on meth and other drugs. Also it seems not many people want to talk about this because they just dont see any solutions and it hurts to think about.

I agree, its one of those things people dont want to think about and especially hear about. Civilization as we know it is probably just decades away from "Evolving" into Barbarism. Sure there will still be cities, computers, cell phones, and cars. Just like there are in Afghanistan and South Africa. The 1st world will become the Third World. The Third World well Iraq will look like a Tourist Resort compared to it. Oh and think about the Refugees, Tens of millions if not hundreds. Oh my its going to be a wondrous mess.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This whole thing could be used for good, but with those in charge now of most of the world, used for evil purpose. Like killing most of the population, getting immortal life with brainwashed immortal soldiers ruling over a few millions of humans who just get dumber and dumber until the point the elite wants it to be.

IMO, that's sick and I'm pretty sure a lot of the globalists have this sort of things in mind. It would be like a mix of Brave New World and 1984, and the leaders would be immortal.

1984 quote that would fit the situation humanity would face if this technology is developped and used by evil forces:

If you want a vision of the future, Winston, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by halfmask

I know we use all of our brain, but I was still under the impression that we can't use 100% of it simultaneously, I'm probably wrong, I was just trying to think of a benefit they might use to sell the idea of nanocomputers in your brain...

I still don't understand why technology is so great considering that most of it is used for things that don't make any difference like cell phones when it could be applied to solving the worlds many many many problems... I guess its people that aren't so great in that case, since they're the ones who decide how to use technology...

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cyfre

The first link is mostly about Transhumanism, which is like an element of the Technological Singularity, or vice versa, or best understood in the context of the entire issue: convergence.

Kurzweil AI is the evangelical hub of this growing social movement, and is the place to learn about the Singularity.

To best understand the Technological Singularity first look at the Law of Accelerating Returns.

Or allow Dr. Ben Goertzal explain it to you:

Google Video Link

Other links of direct interest:
Diffusion of Innovations
Technolgical Singularity

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm doing my part....The goal is to live long enough to life forever....a bridge to a bridge if you may.

When I turned 30 I enrolled with a doctor in an age management clinic. He had a whole panel of blood work done on me....My testosterone was 30% below normal...my Growth hormone was 35% below normal as well as my DHEA.

All of these hormones decrease with age normally as we get older.

I began hormone replacement therapy 1 year ago at 175 pounds and 18% body fat. My blood pressure was 139 over 90.

One year later working out 4 times a week, I weigh 205 pounds at 11% body fat, and my blood pressure is 109 over 70. I look better than I did playing rugby as a senior in high school..my strength is thru the roof, my vision is improving, my memory is improving...my libido...well the wifey is pretty happy. I don't get sick but once a year now and it only lasts about 4-5 days and I can actually work and feel pretty good those days...no bedridden days. Cuts and injuries heal about 40% faster...

I am aging at a rate of 50 to 60% of normal....

Folks we are on the cusp of HUGE discoveries...WE ARE GOD's...we will have the ability to extend our lives indefinably...the discoveries are coming so fast and so frequently that the biggest problem is keeping up with them.

Stay informed and keep an eye on promising technologies and use them.

Starting the age management program with my doctor was the best thing I ever did..I urge those of you over 30 to look into it... it only costs me about $250.00 a month for the HGH, Test (A cream...no big needles) and DHEA is an over the counter pill.....take care of yourself...strong mind...strong body..

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aecreate

Thanks for the props

Great job being sure to lump Newt Gingrich's name in there

You forgot to mention my 2 videos, which remain the only videos underscoring this rapidly approaching US government driven reality:

Google Video Link

Updated and much better version of the above coming very soon...

Google Video Link

But actually ABC's 20/20: "Last Days on Earth" semi-recently made a rough generalization about "the military's" robot-A.I. program(s):

The Life Extension film covers mostly the "Immortality" orgasm of Transhumanism. All of these things are essentially one in the same, however in my view the elite are irrationally ushering the A.I. side of it as fast as possible, because it alone is all they need to kickstart the Technological Singularity to harvest the Life Extension promised land of their fantasy. People often argue that the Elite wouldn't do the A.I. things like that depicted in my DARPA iXO video (which is constructed from government websites and materials), but the Immortality combined with their dream of global technological totalitarianism trumps that argument.

Another 'mainstream' Transhumanism full length documentary, which focuses on cybernetics and A.I., is "Building Gods":

Google Video Link

[edit on 25-8-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Like the net it's self the driving force will be MONEY, and Sex sells, I think the singularity will be combined with the realdoll, this is the Home robot of the future I believe, No longer will people interact with living people but surrogates, Like the planet Aurora in the Robots series by Issac Asimov, I don't see them being worker Bots as much as replacement Humans, They can be created to what ever pleases you and trained the same way, how lucrative that industry will be..........

[edit on 25-8-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I do think that things are giong downhill but I dont buy the whole elites story. The sheer amount of energy and time that it would take to create immortal soldiers and leaders is beyond what a small group of humans could muster in my opinion. Even if you are immortal it is only a matter of time before an accident occurs, thier is just to many variables in life to master these technologies towards any long term meaningful outcome. On the other hand you have another group of magical thinking people that claim remote healing, remote viewing, telepathy, visions, synchronicities and all sorts of non-local phenomenae already exist. this would seem to hint at a type of singularity that has always been thier to some extent and is much more "robust" or stable then the man made version. I havent made up my mind on either of these scenerios of the singularity future, but If either of them turn out to have any validity and or come to a fruitation I would hope it would be the more tao like version as I just dont have the energy to cope with the demonic techie version.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I figured you would show up sooner or later.
I'm looking forward to the new videos.

Anyone who hasn't already, I recommend
watching the videos posted above.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I think lack of oil production, oil overconsumption, rocketing fuel prices, overpopulation, economic problems, a resurgent Russia wealthy from oil, and a potential Third World War will probably post pone if not completely prevent the Singularity from occuring.

Check out the Grim Meathook Future
en.wikipedia.org...
events.ccc.de...

Hey cool links/subject
, but I have to disagree. This is because their A.I. systems are already incrementally operational with fully operational set for 2011-2012. A.I. is what they need to kick start the Singularity.

NASA's Intelligent Archives Project
The objective is to formulate ideas and concepts and to provide recommendations that lead to research by the computer science community in the near-term, prototyping to demonstrate feasibility in the mid-term, and operational implementation in the period from 2012 to 2025.

Note that's one year after DARPA's APIC should be 'transistioned' (that program was filed in 2003):

Architectures for Cognitive Information Processing (ACIP)

ACIP will enable cognitive capabilities in embedded, real-time, dynamic, data-intensive, embedded missions and scenarios by providing an underlying processing infrastructure optimized to perform cognitive processing. ACIP will address the deficiencies and limitations currently preventing the deployment of efficient cognitive processing on the battlefield by developing a new generation of computing architectures (both hardware and software) that will enable revolutionary advances in cognitive information processing for embedded, real-time DoD applications. ACIP will incorporate biological, cognitive algorithm, and DoD mission challenge clues as inputs to establish the concepts of the effort.

DARPA has many overlapping programs, that they tell us about, and some like "PAL" are already functional and will help them push forward their effort:
www.darpa.mil...
Every advance benfits the coming advances.

Check out my DARPA iXO video above for the military side of it. NASA is ushering the 'civilian' / advanced weather prediction / cyber infastructure / Science R&D side. And with the help of Google. Let Google's Sergey Brin give you an idea:

Brin:

said that the perfect search engine would be like "the mind of God".
googlesystem.blogspot.com...

Oh and I forgot one more Climate Change.

It's good that you called it Climate Change rather than Global Warming. With Global Warming Al Gore is the mouthpiece of the Establishment in ushering a sense of need of a de facto 'god on earth system' to 'save us from ourselves'. It's all too funny that Al Gore has been a Senior Advisor to Google and Apple since he 'lost' the elections.

And since Newt Gingrich was already mentioned it's best I point out how he and Gore have been a futurist duo since way back:

America's futurist politicians, Al Gore and Newt Gingrich, are engaged in an epic, huge-stakes struggle: the last time a battle of this magnitude occurred, the New Deal was formed, laying the foundation of the modern, industrial,bureaucratic state.
Yet, despite the real and deep differences that separate Gore and Gingrich, the similarities the Speaker dismisses as "superficial" were enough, years ago, to forge a strange-bedfellows bond between the two baby-boom pols. From the time they arrived in the House (Gore in 1976, Gingrich in 1979), both were seen by their peers as intelligent, ambitious, and a touch weird. They were science - and science fiction - buffs. They were intrigued - not scared - by computers. And they referred to themselves - in public, no less - as futurists.
Every few weeks the group would gather for a brown-bag lunch with speakers such as anthropologist Margaret Mead and cosmologist Carl Sagan; every once in a while, its tiny staff would put together a paper on a leading-edge issue such as global warming.

It was here, as leaders of the clearinghouse - Gore was even its chair for a time - that the two got to know and respect one another. There were chats, meetings, dinners at each other's homes. "They were kind of like the odd couple," recalls Peter Knight, Gore's chief of staff between 1977 and 1989. "Gingrich was blasting people left and right and trying to throw out the Speaker (Texas Democrat Jim Wright). Gore was hardly a bomb thrower. But there was this little corner of intellectual curiosity they pursued together." Another Gore friend says, "The clearinghouse was like their DMZ. They didn't interact all that much, but in certain areas, there was common ground."

Most memorably, there was the Critical Trends Assessment Act. In 1985, Gore (by then a senator) and Gingrich introduced legislation to establish an office in the White House to look 20 years forward and try to puzzle out the "potential effects of government policies on critical trends and alternative futures." Staffers called the measure the "foresight bill." Critics preferred to call it the "futurists' full-employment act."

[edit on 25-8-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
The singularity?

Already happened for the first time...

January 8, 2007 at 8:19pm GMT

How do you figure?

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I still dont see how these technologies are giong to create a singularity they seem to use big words like cognition when no one really even knows what cognition means. Self replicating autonomous battfield robots I mean seriously this sounds way to far out and I am so happy I dont pay taxes yet. when I see a man made device nano or otherwise act like an organism and seem to exhibit signs of cognition I might change my tune but as of yet I have only seen big words and theories that I just dont see panning out to anything singularity like. I do think that the chemical therapies and age management have alote of real world potential but they are not giong to grant anyone anything more then quality years as not even the universe that we depend on is immortal.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
... The technology will exist that your mind can be copied onto a hard drive, and the mathematical sum of your parts reside on a mainframe. Digital immortality in a virtual reality. But once humanity transcends the physical world via technological means we may abandon human society in search of whatever lies beyond.

The Singularity will propel us into the final stage of human evolution where we separate ourselves from ourselves and exist on an entirely different playing field.

It wont take long for this idea to bump up against the thought "What am I?" How much information stored to a holographic drive is needed to fully define "me" ? If a persons brain can be entirely replicated in a nano-machine-brain, does the soul follow? These questions will freak a whole lot of people out, and the future of cyborgesque humans will be at odds with most people. Is a person still a person if he only exists in a networked hivemind? After thinking about Terminator and The Matrix, we have to look at the end of the movie A.I. when the 'alien-looking' superadvanced artificial intelligence was all that was left of humanity.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
AI will have the ability to make itself increasingly more intelligent at an increasingly faster rate. This is The Singularity.

Actually, no it's not. Or at least it's not that simple.

www.kurzweilai.net...
en.wikipedia.org...

The Technological Singularity is when the Law of Accereating Returns goes out the window. You see right now we can almost accurately predict the future of technological innovation using a more broad and developed form of "Moore's Law". Human progress and technological innovation can be exponetially extrapolated forwards into the future (until The Singularity, anways), or backwards to the long blank era of the Stone Age.

A.I., or rather "A.G.I.", will be the catalyst to kickstarting it. Nano, Bio and Info systems will shortly thereafter, thanks to AGI beeing integrated into mass Science R&D, topple their overlapping growth rates, ahead of the natural LoAC plot, to converge with AGI into the genesis of a new form of life constituted from the NBIC quad-union. Or so it's said.

The result will be a surreal consantly rapid advancment of science and innovations, where, after a certain point, that human society wont even be able to comprehend the advancements no longer, ad infinitum. All of that in the context of the AGI converging with NBIC of course, but it's not simply the AGI itself.

That is the Singularity, the Technological Singularity.

[edit on 26-8-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
2012 should turn out to be a crazy time to be alive that date just seems to pop up everywhere.

I love how they throw out terms that arent really defined like cognition and mind. Do they actually beleive that they are giong to be self aware, self healing, learning machines and how do they define this as it isnt even fully understood in humans. seems like to much sci fi and a big waste of tax money not to mention we will be adding to an already war addicted inferstructure that doesnt seem to anything but excite terrorism not to mention crazy childish fantasies of total control.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I believe that the Singularity will not be a Singular event. The way I see it, both the extreme opinions on either side of the debate have it wrong, not all wrong mind you, and the ways they are wrong have yet to be revealed but I think it will be somewhat reminiscent of the Computer, Internet and Genome revolutions. Those are singularity events happening right now. The rate of doubling in those fields have slowed in recent years which leads me to believe that we are missing a keystone technology that will propel the convergence of NBIC in product and service design(not to mention the military applications....). Will there be atrocities? Yeah... probably... But my hunch is that the atrocities will be caused in the initial stages at least, by ignorant bigoted humans. I fear the possibilities of both an AI/Enhanced Sentient dictatorship and enslavement and the potential enslavement of AI/Enhanced Sentients by Humans. All out war between the factions would be a disaster to say the least. This is all hypothetical at the moment, but I feel it's a more realistic view of the situation that's likely to develop. I usually don't like to draw pop-culture parallels but I think 50 years from now will look a bit like a cross between Blade Runner, Johnny mnemonic, Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Transmetropolitan.

Don't reconize the references? Clik teh links.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
I know we use all of our brain, but I was still under the impression that we can't use 100% of it simultaneously, I'm probably wrong,

No, you are correct. Supposedly we only consciously compute 2% of our thoughts at any given moment in time.

i'm thinking it is 2% - it could be 0.2% - can't recall - too many thoughts to process at the moment!

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If it were ever possilble to upload our conciousness onto a hard drive I would never do it. I love being human, their are great things about being human, Drinking, eating, sex, etc.

Never would I disrupt the circle of life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join