It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Inevitable Singularity

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Source
Source

Since the early 90's, computing technology has been doubling consistently every two years or less. If you calculate 2x2=4x4=16x16=256 and so on and so forth, you'll find quite quickly that the figure increases at an exponential rate. Apply technological value to those numbers, and you have a simple and accurate model for The Singularity.

A lot of research is currently underway to create a working Artificial Intelligence. It is likely that within the next decade, humanity will have the ability to map the human mind and create an artifical intelligence that can improve not only on its speed, but can also improve on its own ability to learn. AI will have the ability to make itself increasingly more intelligent at an increasingly faster rate. This is The Singularity.

There are a good many possible outcomes for this not-so-distant event. The Matrix trilogy paints a picture in a post-apocalyptic world where AI became too powerful for humanity. In I, Robot, AI intended to imprison humanity in an effort to protect them- from themselves.

The Singularity will come, and we are approaching that event at higher and higher speeds. Everything you imagine will become possibe in an extremely short amount of time. All information will be unlocked, and humanity will be met with an onslaught of discovery that will shake its very foundation, if not leave it drowning hopelessly in its wake.

Imagine a world where nanotechnology created matter, any kind. The technology will exist that your mind can be copied onto a hard drive, and the mathematical sum of your parts reside on a mainframe. Digital immortality in a virtual reality. But once humanity transcends the physical world via technological means we may abandon human society in search of whatever lies beyond.

The Singularity will propel us into the final stage of human evolution where we separate ourselves from ourselves and exist on an entirely different playing field.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Great post, The Cyfre

There's not nearly enough attention paid to what is being called:

the US’s biggest government commitment to technological research since the space programme, uniting the military, Nasa, leading high-tech companies and the NSF under a single vision. source

There's a film made by the Immortality Institute, its called "Exploring Life Extension"

I haven't really watched it, but they quote Bill Clinton saying:

"Weve treated the Human Genome Project as a priority
since day one because we all want to live forever"
and, "We want to live forever, and were getting there."

Newt Gingrich is all about riding the wave. (of humanity's destruction)
He also seems quite familiar with Clinton and the genome project...

In the article "Vision for the Converging Technologies" Newt Gingrich proposes to reinvent government for the "Age of Transition" that we have just entered, where the combined effect of converging NBIC technologies accelerates. Gingrich believes in explaining new options to the voters in the clearest possible language: "They may not understand plasma physics or the highest levels of the human genome project. But they can surely understand the alternative between having Alzheimer and not having it". Explaining his vision for the Age of Transition, he proposes riding the NBIC wave instead of trying to delay it, and acknowledges that current public policies and initiatives are moving much slower than technological change. source
[all emphasis mine]

It's all public access: "Vision for the Converging Technologies"

If there's anyone on this forum that has covered most
of the coming NBIC convergence it would have to be IIB:

Beyond Conspiracy: Artificial General Intelligence
Dubya and Al Gore's unknown unholy alliance

Addtional threads:
DARPA AI .mil & more
"Kill Proof," Animal-Esque Soldiers: DARPA Goal

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
If you are interested, read the short novel "The metamorphosis of prime intellect". It is available online from the authors website, indeed ONLY available online.

It maps out what, in my opinion, is quite probobly the way the singularity is going to happen. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is a very interesting subject, I recently watched the BBC Horizon documentary, 'humans v2' on it.

I would reccomend watching this to anyone who is interested in the subject. It is available for download via MVGroup.

Things that were confined to science fiction will soon become reality! Films such as the matrix, the terminator and strange days could become true in the next 20 years.

The horizon documentary raises some of the difficult questions that must be answered when we get to the singularity.

How do other posters feel about this? Is this something that we should be striving to acheive or not?

Personally, I think it will be pretty good, providing we can keep these powerfull machines under control and use them for the good of humanity.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Fascinating stuff... my theory is that before AI or perhaps concurrently, nanocomputers that can be implanted into your brain that allow you to activate all 100% of it at once and basically do everything a current computer can with your mind, but a genius hacker will develop a virus that is both computerized and biological and basically turn any with the computers into obedient zombies and either hold them for ransom or use them as an army to take over the world.

I've always wondered if it was possible for a machine to become self-aware, sentience seems impossible for something which isn't alive even if it holds all the information in the world how could it ever think beyond the parameters of its programming... if anything like those grim movie futures are even remotely possible then it looks like we're running headlong into it, what with how quick this stuff is developing...

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
One word...

Asimo... www.asimo.honda.com

He may not be AI indoctrined... but imagine the next wave of robots that will be. I can see the government largly restricting higher intelligence robots to the general population. But worker bots will be a huge fad in the next decade or so. Imagine once they hit... all the posh in the world will "have to have one" It'll be more popular then when TVs hit the market. I myself would like to have an an adaptive learning robot, one that only learns what you tell it to learn. If robots do infact learn on their own then we will ultimatly be wiped out by our own creations once they learn the letting humans run the world will in the long run lessen their own life span...

[edit on 25-8-2007 by paulbrownz]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Fascinating stuff... my theory is that before AI or perhaps concurrently, nanocomputers that can be implanted into your brain that allow you to activate all 100% of it at once and basically do everything a current computer can with your mind, but a genius hacker will develop a virus that is both computerized and biological and basically turn any with the computers into obedient zombies and either hold them for ransom or use them as an army to take over the world.

A biological computer virus that controls humans? Are you sure this isn't out there already?

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Good Stuff! I have to read more and thank you for the link

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The singularity?

Already happened for the first time...

January 8, 2007 at 8:19pm GMT

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
In my opinion this subject seems to tie in with Terence Mckenna's "Novelty Theory" and Timewave Zero.

Link Below :

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 25-8-2007 by sherpa]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

actually no, it might be out there, their sinister plan might already be in development... I was gonna use the idea in a sci-fi story since its actually in the realm of possibility, the story could serve as a warning not to get any computers implanted in your brain, god knows people love technology so much they'd sign up by the thousands...

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
i dont see myself implanting anything in my head anytime soon. I think this would be the easiest way someone can give up their free will.

Although, it would be nice to use 100% of our brain.

If anything i can see it being a temporary thing until someone discovers how to utilize the full potential of out brain without the chip.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
well if someone does get a chip implanted into there brain and they can use 100% of there brain the they can figure out how to protect the computer of there brain from getting a virus they can make a really powerful virus protection system and keep updating it every second and they can also figure out how to evolve there human have. so much to where if they wanted to then they can get rid of there computer side and become full human and they can also keep using a 100% of there brain but they will have become so intelligent they will no longer need there human body they can become pure energy just like the ancients or daneile did on stargate atlantis and stargate sg1.peace

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomFighter2007

Wow

Well I don't think the computers will come with anti-virus protection because I don't think people will realize there is any potential danger of that kind... course its all random speculation since I have way too much time on my hands but I think the scenario will be possible by 2010... maybe Apple or some other company will be behind it and all the kids will want one...

All I know is I think cyborgs and people getting chipped or implanted with computers is way more dangerous than a race of AI powered machines/robots unless the robots are designed specifically to kill, like Terminators... thanks to the movies I will always be wary of technologies that attempt to replace or improve upon human beings...

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It isn't a sinister plan!!
It isn't anything 'artificial!'

It does have a lot to do with McKenna's time-wave zero - as far as that being an indicator.

BUT really it is just the inevitable progression of spiritual/material/mental evolution!

It is an unavoidable achievement - NOT anything to fear or to suspect or anything like that!

It is ultimate progress!

And it is COMPLETELY 100% HUMAN~!!!!

[edit on 8/25/2007 by queenannie38]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Syntaxstealth
Although, it would be nice to use 100% of our brain.

If anything i can see it being a temporary thing until someone discovers how to utilize the full potential of out brain without the chip.

But humans already do use 100% of our brains - as a species we have a huge investment in our brains, to make that investment and then not use it would be evolutionary suicide. Even with all our brain power the gamble very nearly didn't pay off; around 70,000 years ago we were very close to being extinct with perhaps as few as 2000 individuals left.

If you mean using 100% of our brain at once (IE every single neuron firing at the same time) the experience would be far from "nice" - if you survived you would very likely be driven insane.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cyfre

Hi,

I've lurked here for a while, but I've never posted as I haven't felt I had anything worthwhile to bring to the table. Anyway, your post had two things I'm big into: AI and the singularity, so finaly I decided to register and dig my converstation hat out of the basement.

So what exactly is your take on what a "working" artificial intelligence is anyway? Personally, I think of AI as automated statistics, and an AI program works if it does it's performance meets a pre agreed design specification - eg. a credit card fraud detection system should have a 70% true positive rate.

Now I don't know anything about fraud detection, and I made those numbers up off the top of my head, but I would be really impressed by something with that performance. Your example of downloading human minds to computers is quite a bit beond current technology, where did you hear that it would possible in 10 years?

AI is capeable of doing some amazing things in the right kind of situations, eg when the problem is well defined and there is a way of quantitively scoring the machines performance, but often it fails miserably at tasks humans take for granted. I don't think anyone should be worrying about the rise of the machines just yet.

Fianlly, this is being pedantic, but...
Moore's Law, actually states that the ammount of memory you can fit into a given area of computer chip doubles every two years. (though, of course, actual computing power is highly correlated to this)
Thing is that we're reaching the limit of how much we can jam onto one chip. Once the size of the on-chip components become less than about 16nm then Heisenberg's uncertanty principal starts to mess things up real bad.

Anyway, cheers for putting up a cool subject for discussion.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by paulbrownz

This will contribute to America's weight problem, as well. We'll get lazier and fatter and I think that will undoubtedly shorten our life-span, yeah? (Obesity)

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The other day I was reading up on Quantum computers on Wiki and other sources, by the looks of it, the speed limit for processing chips is about 100Ghz. We are not near that point yet but, will be in a decade or two. Our current best consumer cpu is at what, 3.7? Anyway, it looks like we don't have to worry about computers getting too ahead of us or, at least not until the next break through being something beyond quantum and photon computers.

Please note I could be wrong about my numbers but, give or take we are not going to be out matched by machines completely.

On another note, I see lots of mention of the whole 100% use of the brain, don't we already do that? Is this the same mention of that old rumor that we only use 10% of our brain? I looked into this a long while ago and it was debunked as a rumor started from a misunderstood article; we use 10% of our brain at any given moment, not in total... we never use our entire brain at once because, different parts of our brain do different things but, we can get very close and most of us use higher then 10% already... Just not sure if this is the same thing as mentioned in this thread and others, I am really confused on this.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
The singularity?

Already happened for the first time...

January 8, 2007 at 8:19pm GMT

what happened that you think was the sinqularity? I really cant imagine it turning out to everyones benifit as everyone has thier ideas of happiness. In my opinion most of the world wont give much thought to these possibilities. On the other hand if people are forced to ponder thier signifacance I believe thier will be an increase of spiritual/emotional type thinking to counter the cold techno type scenerios inherent in the hyper technological singularity. One can see this happening already in alote of the new age and spiritual movements. who knows the possibilities are endless and I dont see to many hopeful scenerios unfolding in this type of thinking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join