It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
What else would you call it…
- When we start using nanotechnology to repair bodies at the cellular level?
- When catching up on the latest research is a mere matter of desiring information, whereupon autonomous software agents deliver it to you, as quickly and easily as your arm now moves wherever you wish it to?
- When on-demand production becomes so trivial that wealth and poverty become almost meaningless terms?
- When the virtual reality experience—say visiting a faraway planet—gets hard to distinguish from the real thing?
- When each of us can have as many "servants"—either robotic or software-based—as we like, as loyal as your own right hand?
- When augmented human intelligence will soar and—trading insights with one another at light speed—helping us attain entirely new levels of thought?
Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I think lack of oil production, oil overconsumption, rocketing fuel prices, overpopulation, economic problems, a resurgent Russia wealthy from oil, and a potential Third World War will probably post pone if not completely prevent the Singularity from occuring.
Originally posted by D.E.M.
If you are interested, read the short novel "The metamorphosis of prime intellect". It is available online from the authors website, indeed ONLY available online.
It maps out what, in my opinion, is quite probobly the way the singularity is going to happen. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.