It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Werewolf in Stafford, UK?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Werewolves, hairy beasts that roam the woods at night and change back into human form before dawn? we all know of the werewolf, be it from the gory movies that we see, or from literature like 'The Book of Werewolves' by the Rev. Sabine Baring Gould. In the pages of history, these mythical creatures seem very much alive, but what about in the here and now?

Personally, although I am a big fan of the werewolf, though I am very certain that such creatures don't exist. I was surfing the net today, looking for something completely un-werewolf related, when I stumbled upon a webpage that has information from an article that was printed in the 'Stafford Post' newspaper. This article was only from April of this year, which was interesting. I was suprised I hadn't heard about this from my family who live in the area. Part of the section reads:

"On April 26, 2007, the Stafford Post newspaper (which covers the area in question) stated the following: "A rash of sightings of a 'werewolf' type creature prowling around the outskirts of Stafford have prompted a respected Midlands paranormal group to investigate. West Midlands Ghost Club says they have been contacted by a number of shocked residents who saw what they claimed to be a `hairy wolf-type creature' walking on its hind legs around the German War Cemetery, just off Camp Road, in between Stafford and Cannock. Several of them claim the creature sprang up on its hind legs and ran into the nearby bushes when it was spotted."

Although I live in the States, I hail from the Midlands in the UK, so this is particularly interesting to me. The full article can be located here:

Stafford Werewolf?

Scroll down the page a little way and you will find the article. Unfortunately, no pictures
I am currently trying to find the actual news story, but its evading me so far. Can any of our UK members share a little more information on this, if they have any? I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Genus

Wig

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Nice find!

I'll look into it further some other time but for now here are some links... I didd't find the original April 26th 2007 story. and a pity I don't live closer

'Lady of the Chase'

Chase Search for weird and wonderful

Wolves may live on Chase

Cannock Chase cavemen claims

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I always tend to think that all myths & legends are based on 'something' factual.

Could all the legends and myths be based on the perpetrators imagination, or do they originate from some form of fact.

The basis of the 'werewolf' origin must have been triggered by some event or occurrence in time.

I think its plausible that some wolf/man hybrid of sorts may have existed at some point and time, with more 'embellishment' added with every story.

But I don't think they exist today, or at least there are more explanations available.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by Grailkeeper]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Excellent, thanks for the links Wig!

In regards to the legends, maybe the originated from a feral human? We know that there have been accounts of children 'raised' by wild animals, and displaying similar traits, so perhaps in the eyes of a world drenched in demons and monsters (and a lot of misunderstanding) thats where the original myth came from.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Hi Genus, I did a thread simillar to this a while back about Cannock Chase and all the sightings of weird werewolf type creatures, other strange creatures and ufos.
British Werewolf sightings!!
Strange things have been happening on the Chase for a long time, it's defaintly a hotspot of activity.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Werewolfs seem to be a entity most associated to england.I dont think ive ever heard of a report here in the states or most of europe either.I wonder why only there?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Xfile

You might like to do a google to find out just how prevalent the Werewolf myth is in Europe LOL

European Stories

More

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

Lol.thanx for the link Silk.It seems the wolf legends were more prevalent than i thought.But im sure the "PROPER"wolfs hail from Britain!

Wig

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
more linkage for your perusal.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Hey, I go to uni in Stafford (I'm currently on my summer break at the moment, but I go back to my new house there in early September).

I think I was still around there in April time, but I don't remember hearing about this incident. I'll ask some of my friend, and see if they've heard much about it.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xfile
Werewolfs seem to be a entity most associated to england.I dont think ive ever heard of a report here in the states or most of europe either.I wonder why only there?

Maybe because they have only been seen over there?^^ That's only good proof that they really exist, because if they have only been seen over there, then maybe it's true.

Btw nickh, your picture reminds me of alex in A Clockwork Orange^^

[edit on 19-8-2007 by ZikhaN]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Xfile

The only werewolf legend that has really brought itself to infamy here in the Staes (that I am aware of so far) is the Beast of Bray Road in Wisconsin.

Thanks for the extra info, and the links to related thread, I shall peruse them later!

Wig

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This is google maps of the area

Just keep zooming in on the arrow. as you get closer there will be a large black area this is all woodland/scrubland and includes the Cannock Chase so you can see how big this area of widerness is (for England/Wales).

It is a pity there are no firm dates for the sightings (all we have are newspaper dates), I'd have liked to know if they were full moon nights.

[edit on 20/8/2007 by Wig]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Stafford Werewolf..... mmm!

I'm live 10 miles from Stafford and I'm quite familiar with Cannock Chase.
I'll wager all my ATS points that this supposed Werewolf is a hoax.
I admit that Cannock Chase is quite an area to cover.
Questions: If a cryptoid creature is roaming the Chase with the possibility that public safety is at risk why has a press conference not been publicised? - Or has it!?
Rangers, visitors to the German cemetary, Hikers, bikers, and dog walkers and casual visitors would all be at risk.
Has a public anouncement through radio, newspapers and regional news programmes been aired in the region?
Yes? No?
Lets get real; all creatures have to eat and hydrate. Where is the evidence of mutilated wildlife or farmstock torn apart for food?
With tongue very firmly in cheek I suspect that this werewolf is nothing more than a misinterpretation of (ho-hum) witnesses distorting what may be a feral canine.
I rest my case.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by anglosaxon

Im pretty inclined to agree with you on this Anglo, but it doesn't hurt to fan the flames of imagination here and there

I recently finished reading 'Three Men Chasing Monsters' by Nick Redfern, and he has quite a section on the chase, linking it to a creature called the 'Shug Monkey'.

Funny, I did some re-enactment film work up there a number of years ago, but never saw anything untoward...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genus_Unknown
reply to post by Xfile

The only werewolf legend that has really brought itself to infamy here in the Staes (that I am aware of so far) is the Beast of Bray Road in Wisconsin.

Thanks for the extra info, and the links to related thread, I shall peruse them later!
Thanx for the link Genus_Unknown!It seems from the story though nobodies really sure what the creatureis in wisconsin,lol.Could a bigfoot be confused with a werewolf?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genus_Unknown
Excellent, thanks for the links Wig!

In regards to the legends, maybe the originated from a feral human? We know that there have been accounts of children 'raised' by wild animals, and displaying similar traits, so perhaps in the eyes of a world drenched in demons and monsters (and a lot of misunderstanding) thats where the original myth came from.

In fact, the legend of my namesake was based on a real story...
The only difference is, people like Tarzan(my actual first name).

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anglosaxon

First of all, people must first believe in it before authorities are willing to investigate it.
People do not pay attention to things outside their box.

Unless you've searched all the woods for little corpses...?
^_^

Wig

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I have to drive up to Manchester tomorrow, I'm considering going today and sleeping overnight in the chase hoping to see something.

Trouble is I have no sound recording equipment and no video camera, I only have a crappy 'still' digital camera.

Wig

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I went and saw nothing, I walked through the woods about 7pm for 15 mins, I did not want to risk the valuables in my car, luckily I went back to my car, because later a thief came down in his car looking for cars to rob - yes I am sure about that and I reported his number to the police. - it would be so easy to set up a surveilance to catch thee scrotes and they might also catch the werewolf on video too.

Looks to me like the Allied soldiers get white grave stones and a big old white cross, and the Germans get dull grey gravestones.

Werewolf's last victim's car (appeared abandoned with valid tax disc)

[edit on 28/8/2007 by Wig]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join