It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LDS Church-"Mormons"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hexagram23

sorry to have offended your vision of godhood but i was just listing the beliefs that i have noticed in the LDS religion. and the on about "God" living on another planet, for some of us that believe that life here was started by an ET source this kind of rings a bell of truth... also for those of us that believe in the progression and evolution of our intelligence and spirit (for lack of a better word) to believe that maybe we could evolve to godlike status also makes sense and it is something i can see actually happening.

cheers

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hexagram23
Although this is clearly from an evangelical source, this crude animation is an interesting introduction to the cosmology of Mormonism, I'd be interested to hear what others think, especially the LDS members, so they can confirm or deny, I know it is at least partially true, but I'm not an expert in Mormonism:

The best source is always THE source when learning about a culture or religion. That always turns out to be an eye-opener just because most religions believe their doctrine and practices to be completely normal. I am an atheist that enjoys learning about religion/theology -what have you. I came across this little gem - it was compiled by a former mormon from actual doctrine and speeches given by the mormon bigwigs. LDS Mormon and Space Doctrine

It's a great read. A sampling of the site:

-God lives on a giant crystal ball. See D&C 130:6-8.

- God's home planet orbits a star named "Kolob." See Abraham 3:3

- Kolob is "the great governing star of our universe" and "the residence of God." See Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith's "Church History and Modern Revelation" Volume 3, Page 60.

There is a section on extraterrestrials, time, matter, etc. Enjoy!

Bleys

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleys

excellent! good find, great reading...the more i learn about this religion the more i want to join it...my kind of peeps!

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Read my siggi.

What if--------------------------------------------

Everything that exists is determined by observation and belief, and truth is an observed and believed effect. So, the more persons that believe your brand of faith, the more "true" it becomes.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm sure there are physical properties concerning the LDS religion and it's proof of existence more importantly the lost tribe of Israel traveling from the Middle East.
But scientific testing?
You think that is valid?
That is hypocrisy in itself.
"Practical medicine" is what it is.
There is no truth.
Why need physical proof though?
Was there any proof that Moses brought the children of Egypt out of bondage?
Was there any proof of the ten commandments?
Was there any proof about David and Goliath?
Proof is just as ridiculous as the seeker.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by prepared4thefuture

proof...who needs proof when you have faith?

anyways, the ten tribes thing where the mormons even believe that they traveled to the north pole when it was warmer there reminds me of the hollow earth theory...maybe there is a unified theory and all these conspiracies tie together somehow.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, a lesbian John Lear fan thinks Mormonism is the bees knees. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. _javascript:icon('
') I've got nothing against any of those 3 particular inclinations, I just think when you put them all together truth is stranger than fiction _javascript:icon('
')

Peace,
Hex23

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hexagram23

So let me get this straight, a lesbian John Lear fan thinks Mormonism is the bees knees. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. _javascript:icon('
') I've got nothing against any of those 3 particular inclinations, I just think when you put them all together truth is stranger than fiction _javascript:icon('
')

Peace,
Hex23

HEY!!
what exactly do you have against...John Lear?????

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I had just finished randomly reading your attacks against the people in a parallel thread where they were questioning John Lear's involvement on ATS as it relates to the revenue sharing agreement from the google ads. I have to say your blind devotion to a man who is unable to substantiate his claims is a little spurious, but hey, to each their own.

I guess on the one hand, I can see how John Lear's theories/beliefs might fit in nicely with Mormonism, although I'm not sure what John Smith had to say about the "soul collector" on the Moon.

At least John Lear himself said he was once involved with Scientology and realized it was a money-making ponzi-scheme (I'm paraphrasing here).

Anyhow, what do you care what I think about John Lear? Maybe you're one of those Venutian women he mentioned, he says they're attractive but quite rude.

(caveat: this last statement is made tongue in cheek, i.e. sarcasm).

Peace,
Hex23

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

John is a very intelligent man and you would learn alot from him if you had...kept an open mind.

and I hope you meant the "rude" part in jest...NOT the other part

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Trust me, I waded through hundred of pages of posts (well, I think it was like 180 or so at the time) in the Questions for John Lear thread, I went into it with an open mind even though I'm leary of a lot of these types of claims (no pun intended). I've gotta say I wasn't convinced. Don't get me wrong, I think he's got some interesting perspectives on a few things, but at the end of that excursion I came out questioning John's motives and his credibility. At least I found it entertaining, which I think is ultimately why he's on ATS (along side promoting himself and making a little quick dough). I think something shady is up with the moon, what I'm not sure, but I'm not convinced it has an atmosphere-- the burden of proof lies with Mr. Lear on that one.

Alright, we're getting off topic here, I thought this was about Mormonism.

So riddle me this LDSers of the ATSers, what's up with the holy underwear?
Also, why are there black mormons when the Book of Mormon takes such a demeaning attitude to all non-caucasians? Are they just gullable?

Oh yeah, then there's that whole retro-active baptism for the dead thing, seriously what's the rationale behind this, if one doesn't have free will to accept a rite like baptism, then how would it have any power/substance whatsoever?

I'm not baiting here, I just think that LDS makes the Jehovah's Witnesses look like Nobel Prize-winners in comparison with some of this outlandish doctrine. Just my opinion. And for the record I am not a christian, so I'm not coming at this issue with the usual christian prejudice regarding things like LDS, JW, Christian Science, etc.

Peace,
Hex23

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   

nope, some of those things you mentioned are held very sacred by them, i will not post anything further on this matter. good luck with your search for the truth.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this offensive to anyone but I just dont see the point in religion.I mean it doesnt matter if you're a muslim,christian etc I think all that matters is being a good person and in the end you shall have your reward

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by prepared4thefuture
I'm sure there are physical properties concerning the LDS religion and it's proof of existence more importantly the lost tribe of Israel traveling from the Middle East.
But scientific testing?
You think that is valid?
That is hypocrisy in itself.
"Practical medicine" is what it is.
There is no truth.
Why need physical proof though?
Was there any proof that Moses brought the children of Egypt out of bondage?
Was there any proof of the ten commandments?
Was there any proof about David and Goliath?
Proof is just as ridiculous as the seeker.

Wow, I don't mean to be rude but I have NO idea what you're talking about here.

There is no truth? Than why on earth do you belong to any religion?

Of course revealed doctrine should be greater to a believer than substantiating (or lack thereof) scientific evidence, but if you are going to engage in any form of apologetics you really should be able to defend your position against what can be considered clear evidence against your point of view.

Saying it doesn't matter when trying to convince others doesn't help.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well at least the mormon doctrine inspired some interesting legends to add to the Battlestar Galactica series.

"By the Lords of Kobol (or Kolob)!"

"Glen A. Larson, the writer of the original series, is himself a Mormon and articulated some of his religious beliefs through this science fiction metaphor."

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Here's an interesting read.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I just watched a video on Mormons on youtube and from what i can gather from that its just a cult of fake Jews raking in over 6 billion a year via their various ventures.

It said that Polygamy is a crucial part in being a Mormon (for the males OF COURSE, NOT THE WOMAN.. lol) that they have to have many wives before they can reach their... 'Godstate' etc.. and that many members get their wives by offering their daughters and what not.

One woman said that if anything happens to her or her children then it will no doubt be because of the Mormons. Soon after the video, she died. (apparently)

I dont doubt Mormons may have a bit of truth like most other doctrines, but at the end of the day its a cult set up by some cranks who want lots of sex and subserviant women, living like the waltons in a time warp. lol

Oh and by the way they ( i guess all of them?) also think that when they get baptised that their blood will change from Gentile to Israelite!? Ive only one thing to say to that.. show yourself the PROOF and go and get a blood test before and after
what good is faith based on lies..

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sekhemet

Polygamy is done away with in the LDS Church.
Your information is false.
If you want to know what "Mormonism" is all about go to a credible source.
www.lds.org...

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by prepared4thefuture
reply to post by Sekhemet

Polygamy is done away with in the LDS Church.
Your information is false.
If you want to know what "Mormonism" is all about go to a credible source.
www.lds.org...

Not trying to pick nits here but polygamy has not been "done away with" in the literal sense. The original D&C132 supposed revelation was never terminated with another supposed revelation. It is still a valid revelation. When Wilford Woodfruff issued his manifesto - it was not presented as revelation but as concession to keep the US Government from seizing land and property. Those BiC are raised with the belief that polygamy will eventually be allowed again and are told that those members who marry only once in this lifetime will have opportunity to marry plural wives in heaven. And it is a well-known fact that there were general authorities within the church continued to practice polygamy until the 1950s.

Note the careful wording at lds. org

In 1889 in the face of increasing hardships and the threat of government confiscation of Church property, including temples, Wilford Woodruff, President of the Church at the time, prayed for guidance. He was inspired to issue a document that officially ended the sanction of plural marriage by the Church. The document, called the Manifesto, was accepted by Church members in a general conference held in October 1890

Bleys

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by murrieta1853
you're only instigating anti propoganda and hate.

Sad but true.

I'm sure the opening post was honest and heartfelt .. but it will only bring heartbreak, and righteous anger, when idiots start posting crap they read from Jack Chick and other ignorant sources.

It happens all the time.
And sometimes it even gets applauded. :shk:

LDS folks can believe whatever they want to believe. (I don't share their beliefs). I have found the LDS people to be the nicest people on the internet and they display better CHRISTIAN ATTITUDES then many of the so-called other Christians that post here.

I'd love for the LDS folks to know God as I know Him. But for now, they don't. For now, I'll just pray that someday they do and I'll continue to enjoy ONLLINE conversations with them ... they are BY FAR the nicest people I have ever 'met' on internet sites.

BY FAR.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
To FlyersFan,

I don't think anyone is denying that Mormons have a right to believe their particular slant on religion, but any system of belief that cannot stand up to external examination, be it spiritual, political, social, whatever, is a system that is lacking in substance, or is trying to hide something, or both. The nature of secrecy that certain religious persuasions have cloaked themselves in seems largely an inability to meet honest questions/inquiries in the light of day as opposed to the comfortable darkness that allows such fungus to grow. No one is denying anyone the right to believe any of the rediculousness that humans have an affinity for believing, but if you can't explain the rationale behind something that is held as "sacred" then perhaps one should re-evaluate just where they are getting their information from and it's validity.

So who exactly are said idiots that are quoting Jack Chick in this discussion? I must've missed that one. I am not a christian, and therefore I'm not interested in evaluating the claims/doctrines of the LDS from a mainstream christian perspective. I'm not some evangelical claiming that Mormons are going to Hell because of their blasphemy, or some such equally rediculous argument.

To quote your previous statement: "I'd love for the LDS folks to know God as I know Him." My question to you is; Why, have you cornered the market on universal spiritual truth? I didn't think so.

For the record, my landlord is Mormon, and she is bat*snip* crazy, and despite the fact that I avoid her because every conversation I have with her turns into a 30 minute treatise on what she thinks everyone should be doing with their lives, she is quite friendly/nice. So I guess I can't argue with you on that point, although I hardly think "meeting" people on the internet really qualifies as actually *meeting* or *knowing* someone until you are sharing the same physical space and breathing the same air simultaneously with said "person." Lots of people seem like what they are not on the internet. Alright, that's the end of the PSA.

Peace,
Hex23

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join