It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LDS Church-"Mormons"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hexagram23
So who exactly are said idiots that are quoting Jack Chick in this discussion? I must've missed that one.

Be glad that you have missed them. They aren't on this thread (yet) .. but they can't resist. Unfortunately you'll run into them in the religion forum.

Why, have you cornered the market on universal spiritual truth? I didn't think so.

That came across snotty.

I SINCERELY and NICELY said that I would love for them to know God as I know Him. How the heck do you get that I am claiming a 'corner on the market of universal spiritual truth'??

Nevermind .. don't bother answering .. I don't want to know ...

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I am an ex-Mormon. I was baptised at 8 years old and practised the LDS religion for a larger portion of my life. I was married in a temple ( divorced later ) and have seen all the rituals etc. and its not that scary or bizarre, actually boring if you ask me.

My thoughts on the matter are simple.

Mormonism and its doctrine are no more damaging then a daily dose of the propeganda watched on television that most see as fact and adhere to in their lives as if following a religion blindly.

When you are practising the faith it is not dark, secret or disturbing. It just frankly isnt true.

There are darker evils in the world by far and most Mormons are just regular everyday people who are happy to ignore truth, but damned if they arent just peachy peeps.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Alright FlyersFan, fair enough, I guess I mis-read your tone with regard to wanting people to "know Him as you do." I just thought that was kind of an arrogant statement to make, no matter how politely you stated it (it sounded like you know Him *much* better than they do, qualitatively speaking, which is a common symptom of the christian experience, no matter what your flavour). Sure we all wish everyone in the world had the same opinion of things as we do personally (although on a certain level I guess it would be a smidge boring), humans are quite predictably sad in that regard.

The thing is, although I am not christian, some of my very close friends are christian (jeez, I feel like that white guy saying "but some of my best friends are black" :lol
, and I am of the opinion that if people the world over followed the 10 commandments in terms of a moral outline for behaviour, the entire Adamic race would be better for it (I'll even go so far as to say 9 and forego that first one, since it pre-supposes belief in a/many God/s). I do, believe it or not, find value in man's inherent desire to recognize it's spiritual nature. We just haven't got the best record as far as that goes by and large. Anyhow, put down the holy hand-grenade, I admit my statement came off a little smug, and you most likely don't deserve that.

Not that anyone asked me, but I think Ellipses has made possibly the most cogent point with regards to this thread so far. It wasn't "they are evil satan-worshippers" or any of that sort of drivel which gets lobbed at LDS from fundies and mainstream x-tianity, it was a personal experential perspective regarding the Mormons, stated plainly and simply. My family are a bunch of speaking-in-tongues bible-thumping fundamentalist zealots who are inches away from picking up serpents and guzzling strichnine, but are they friendly and nice and sincere? YOU BETCHA. Will they help you change a tire on the side of the road? YOU BETCHA. Are they also scarey as hell? YOU BETCHA. They have the same condition as any number of mormons, or fundamentalists, or even Hassidic Jews I've met. They are nice because they honestly believe that according to their system, they feel they have a moral obligation to live their lives in a particular manner. Is that cool with me? YOU BETCHA. On the flipside there are those who bomb abortion clinics, and shoot doctors, and (on the so-called "islamofascist" side) those who will walk into a crowded market with a bomb strapped to them and blow everyone in a 50 foot radius to "kingdom come" as it were. I'm not defending those who use their religious doctrine as an excuse to be jerks to the rest of us, but to those sincere people who hold themselves to a higher moral standard with the concern for others foremost in their minds, I say BRAVO.

Peace,
Hex23

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sekhemet

nevermind, i was just being mean.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have found it very hard to read and follow this thread because of the outright ugliness, but I just came on to say that we have Mormon neighbors that are among the salt of the earth. They always stop by and check on our family and all others in the neighborhood during times of bad weather and such. They even bring us gifts of seeds and foods and home baked goodies often. They are an exemplary family and I am proud to call them my neighbors.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hmmmm.
Well, most LDS members I know ( and some I am related to) are better than average human beings.
That many of the basic tennants have been changed over the years, due to public outcry and discrimination charges, ( polygamy, whites only) leads me to think the original doctrine ( from an angel) was false or fabricated. How can the everlasting true words of God be changed by mankinds whim? That Reverand Young allowed spitoons in the church, and him, and several, of the church leaders and elders owned mercantiles which sold tobacco, alcohol, and coffee yet forbade the use by the faithful, profiting from their use confunds me.
But as I said, I find most to be good people. And the doctrine, though a bit nutty with all the masonic signs and signals, is not as nutty as many of the "newer religions".

So, whatever blows yer hair back, I guess.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkheartrising
reply to post by Sekhemet

nevermind, i was just being mean.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

I dont think that was meant for me was it? I scanned the posts, couldnt figure it out who you were talking to
or im stoned.. lol

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join