It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Radiation Detected in back of Car in Jersey City

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
I have been thinking about selling something like a smoke detector for the home that picks up at least gamma, maybe a higher end one to add in beta emitters. I think they'd sell like hotcakes.

I don't think that you want to deal with the liability issues Tom. Imagine the lawsuit that you would have if Grandma kicked over with a heart attack because someone brought in an old radium dial wrist watch. People have been conditioned to panic at even the thought of radiation. There is a total lack of knowledge of types and levels. All it would take is a malfunction on one of your units setting off the alarm and some people would have a coronary right there on the spot.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
But think of the commercials you could do!

If only I'd had RadGuard 2100 when the terrorists salted downtown Hoboken...now my children are all sterile. Think of the children - please - spend that $79.95 for their peace of mind. If we'd only known in time - but now it's too late - send your checks and money orders to Tomco. A child's life is at stake!

or

"Mommy - my tummy hurts - and I think I'm going to have to throw up again - (blarp!)"

"It's ok sweetie, they say it's just a stomach flu going around - it will be over soon."

"But Mommy - Ruff's throwing up too - do dogs catch stomach flu? And I feel so weak - my gums are bleeding!"

"Well - I called the doctor honey and they say it will be all over in a couple of days"

- meanwhile the Joneses are cruising away from Hoboken as fast as they can go -

"Ralph, that RadGuard 2100 was the best $79.95 we ever spent - we got out of town just in time!"

[edit on 14-8-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
he didn't contradict himself. he claims that the levels of radiation are normal, not non existant.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Hmmm...well I guess no-one from Jersey City frequents ATS then, huh?

Actually no - once get out of financial district downtown think you have
wandered into 3rd world slum. Most are Fur en ors who don't speak
English.

There are many sources of radioactive materials - soil loggers (as stated
before), smoke detectors (.9 microcurie of Americium), medical, etc.

Couple of years back state had big problem with radioactive soil - was
leftover from 1920's to 1940's when radium was extracted from uranium
ore. Used to paint clock dials to glow in dark. Waste was simply dumped
anywhere. Several towns (Orange, West Orange, Montclair) in Essex
county (west of Jersey City) where EPA had to locate and dig up
contaminated soil.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This is not being reported by any major online news that I can find. I'm starting to wonder if this really happened at all.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
We should start a War On Soil In New Jersey. Clearly dirt in NJ hates the rest of us and wants to destroy virgin soil everywhere! C'mon Fox Noise, don't fail us now!!!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
he didn't contradict himself. he claims that the levels of radiation are normal, not non existant.

Yes, he said that, right after saying the box was emitting high levels of radioactivity, implying high levels of radioactivity are normal? Sounds contradictory to me. That being said, I'm inclined to believe someone at the station got an update while he was "mid-stream" in the broadcast. Probably innocent, but hard to say. With no follow-up on the story, it seems like either 1. A non-event or 2. down the memory-hole. Impossible to tell which. Andy

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Still haven't heard anything on the radio on this news story. Dont have the boob tube on here. Apparently this is going to be a very short lived story.
Most likely best it is so.

Originally posted by bigturkey
This is not being reported by any major online news that I can find. I'm starting to wonder if this really happened at all.

Originally posted by drumist69
[ Probably innocent, but hard to say. With no follow-up on the story, it seems like either 1. A non-event or 2. down the memory-hole. Impossible to tell which. Andy

It's amazing what you can learn if you read all the posts, or at least glance at them to see if your question was answered....

Update in Jersey City

[edit on 15-8-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Tom Bedlam and others,

Yes I think I know the lab to which you refer as having worked in the past. I know people who work there today.

Intresting story from where I work..concerning bannanas. My boss loves bannanas. We left the plant in the middle of the night after several hours of work. When he went through the portal monitor he set off the alarm. The high count was on his snood or the clean cap we wear. Come to find out ...he had eaten three bannanas that day..one of them for lunch before we went back into the plant. It wasnt a real high count but enough to set off the monitors alarms and shut us down for about two hours....till someone called out .."bannanas."
The radiation techs spent a bit of time in the plant backtracking everyone path looking for the source. No results. Took awhile to realize it was bannanas.

YOu know the anti radiation gadget I want Tom is a gadget which would quickly shut down a car sitting next to me blasting with all that unwanted audio radiation pollution from the boom box speakers. I'd love to just shut their whole system down and leave them at the stop lights.
Such a gadget too would create a more healthy enviornment for all of us!!
I like music but not that much.
You could make a killing off such a gadget Tom.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 15-8-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hey, that's my personal fave on how to get a nuke in by sea - right into "Port Chiquita" at Gulfport, and bury it under thirty thousand pounds of bananas.

You'd never be able to detect it. Trucks full of bananas or potassium compounds are the Trojan Horses of the 21st century.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
QUOTE: 'The only thing that bothers me is why the driver took off running. But,as I stated previously, it could be a benign reason such as a stolen ride or lack of license.'

With a payload of radioactive material in his car? And if he works for the governmant - why flee the scene?
J.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Still haven't heard anything on the radio on this news story. Dont have the boob tube on here. Apparently this is going to be a very short lived story.
Most likely best it is so.

Originally posted by bigturkey

[ Probably innocent, but hard to say. With no follow-up on the story, it seems like either 1. A non-event or 2. down the memory-hole. Impossible to tell which. Andy

It's amazing what you can learn if you read all the posts, or at least glance at them to see if your question was answered....

Update in Jersey City

[edit on 15-8-2007 by jsobecky]

Yes, I've read all the posts, and I read that article you re-linked when first posted. I'd only like to point out that there are no names mentioned. Who was the driver who fled? What was his father's name, who is "quoted" in the article? What soil testing company does this mysterious lad work for? These are questions any reasonably skilled journalist would ask. I'm not saying this is not just some soil density tester or some bananas, just saying there seem to be a lot of loose ends left un-tied. If nothing else, this "story" illuminates the lack of real journalism in our society. At worst, it demonstrates the means by which what we see is controlled by unknown persons.
I find it interesting that I posted the enhanced audio clip merely out of curiousity, and a vague sense that something was amiss. Some people took this as "evidence" of a cover-up. Others took it as "evidence" that anyone who thought that this was anything more than bananas or a soil density probe were insane. I tried to walk down the middle on this. I continue to try to walk down the middle. The left is equally as dogmatic as the right. In the center lies rationality. At least that's how it looks from the lonely center. Why can't we weigh options and discuss possibilities without calling each other crazy? Andy

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
QUOTE: 'The only thing that bothers me is why the driver took off running. But,as I stated previously, it could be a benign reason such as a stolen ride or lack of license.'

With a payload of radioactive material in his car? And if he works for the governmant - why flee the scene?
J.

The car with the radioactive material in it was parked, and was struck by the other car. The trunk popped open, revealing the suspicious box. From the updated article:

A car parked at Summit and Hoboken avenues was struck by a moving vehicle at about 9:15 last night, according to Police Lt. Edgar Martinez, who said the accident caused the parked vehicle's trunk to open

The driver that ran had no idea he had slammed into a radioactive car.

At least that's the way I read it.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I'm not saying this is not just some soil density tester or some bananas, just saying there seem to be a lot of loose ends left un-tied.

The loose ends belong to the article from NJ.Com, but I'm sure they are available in the actual police incident report, should someone be ambitious enough to dig it up and post it. Me, I'm not that interested, seeing as how most people would not even read it anyway and instead be asking "Uh, why is the MSM and the police state and Bush hiding this from us?"

I tried to walk down the middle on this. I continue to try to walk down the middle. The left is equally as dogmatic as the right. In the center lies rationality. At least that's how it looks from the lonely center. Why can't we weigh options and discuss possibilities without calling each other crazy? Andy

I agree with you 100%.
Unfortunately that's not the norm. You'll find that sensationalism and alarmism generate many more responses than does logic and reason.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Update From Jersey City

Box marked 'radioactive' found in car
Monday, August 13, 2007

Jersey City fire officials last night were taking precautionary readings after an automobile accident opened the trunk of a parked vehicle which apparently contained a box of radioactive material.

A car parked at Summit and Hoboken avenues was struck by a moving vehicle at about 9:15 last night, according to Police Lt. Edgar Martinez, who said the accident caused the parked vehicle's trunk to open

Police saw a box marked "radioactive material" in the trunk, said Martinez, who added there was no reason to believe the accident caused any material in the box to leak. Police ran the plates on the parked vehicle and contacted the father of the vehicle's owner, who said his son works for a company which takes soil samples.

Police said they didn't know what caused the accident. Martinez said local television stations made the incident appear far more serious than it actually was.

www.nj.com.../base/news-4/1186984899277260.xml&coll=3

edit for content I stupidly didn't include!

A few things here. Why did the police run the parked car's plate and come up with the owners father, not the owner? Just curious. Also, I see nothing in this article, or any others I've read about this incident which clearly state the the "suspect" who fled was the driver of the offending vehicle which hit the parked car. We don't know who ran and was apprehended by the police, really. Was it the driver of the moving car or the owner of the parked car? Seems most likely it was the dude who hit the parked car, but the info is not very specific. I'm still fuzzy on why we get a response from the father and not the actual owner of the parked car. Logically, there are still questions the media seem to have left un-answered. I'm afraid we'll never know these things. Too bad. Andy

[edit on 16-8-2007 by drumist69]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Hey, that's my personal fave on how to get a nuke in by sea - right into "Port Chiquita" at Gulfport, and bury it under thirty thousand pounds of bananas.

You'd never be able to detect it. Trucks full of bananas or potassium compounds are the Trojan Horses of the 21st century.

"Come Mr. Taliban, tally me Bananas. Dey got A-Bomb, and me wanna go Boom!..."

With apologies to Harry Belafonte.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
It makes sense because you know any soil samples from Jersey City is going to be radioactive.

Oh, you don't know the have of it. MY FRONT YARD TREE IS A FREKIN MUTANT!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I don't know. I grew up in Jersey for 20 years. Not exactly the cleanest place on Earth, but everything looked normal to me. No mutant trees or anything. Still, you should post a pic...I'm down with pics of mutant ANYTHING! Andy

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Drumist69,

This article or story was textbook of wild speculative theory run rampant/rabid by people without any experiences outside of a television remonte controler or a computer keyboard.

THe details were incorrect and then the story got speculated and speculated again...then eventually detiorated to a political stance/pandering along with typical political blame game.

In short it detiorated quickly to evidence of massive insecurity by people who had the attitude that they deserved more information and results and all before the next sound bite.

Yet these people knew so little about the buisness or materials involved.

This is one reason I am so turned off by most of the news formats both on the boob tube and the radio. They can be very disappointing if you know certain details or facts for yourself.

I have found that news reporters are not necessarily bright or intelligent people but just mouthpieces ..no matter who is reporting. To me this is not much different from most politicians.

It is up to us to educate ourselves and apply this with dicipline..not insecurity or wildlife.

Do not get in the habit of counting on our media or body politic to do this for us as if it is something we deserve. IF you do this you will be disappointed. This is clearly evident by the tack of some of the posts here.

Dicipline, Education...not wildlife.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 16-8-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

You'll find that sensationalism and alarmism generate many more responses than does logic and reason.

If one can issue an opinion on an educated guess or a hunch, then others should be able to speculate based on what evidence is currently available, unanswered questions, or illogical outcomes. I think it's unfortunate that there are those who would be quick to label others as sensationalists or alarmists, many times for just simply asking questions, when it is apparent that none of all concerned have the benefit of direct involvement and first hand experience with the topic at hand.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by Areal51]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join