It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Radiation Detected in back of Car in Jersey City

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   
OK buddy - so does part of your 'training' include fleeing from the scene of a minor fender bender - leaving your nuclear material behind in the trunk?? If not - I'd say you're WAY out of order here... The guy did a runner, according to this report, and the cops aprehended him. Is that normal procedure then?

J.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by jimbo999]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
OK buddy - so does part of your 'training' include fleeing from the scene of a minor fender bender - leaving your nuclear material behind in the trunk?? If not - I'd say you're WAY out of order here... The guy did a runner, according to this report, and the cops aprehended him. Is that normal procedure then?

J.

I have those questions, too. Though, no mention of nuclear material was ever specifically mentioned. To start with the studio anchorperson, said, "HAZMAT crews are out in full force in Jersey City." "Lots of roads have been shut down in the area." That's a rather alarming statement to be made by a studio who was supposedly in possession of more valid information than the reporter at the scene, Rob Malcolm. If the studio knew the situation already, and Malcolm had just arrived, why would the studio go through the trouble of making the impression that Malcolm was clueless as to what happened? They could have easily had the anchor do a quick piece in the studio telling the public not to be alarmed. In the beginning Malcolm sounds composed and sure about what he is reporting. He seems to know exactly where he's taking the story, and his statements seem definite. He says, "There was a fender bender between two cars. This was no normal fender bender in light of the dirty bomb scare we had on Friday night. Many of the crews are not taking any chances. One of the vehicles did have a box in the back. From this box it was emitting high levels of radioactivity." And then he takes that long "pregnant" pause. After which he never recovers to report the story. Between the anchorperson and the field reporter there were many definite statements made. Couldn't whomever it was that whispered in Malcolm's ear have briefed him prior to his going on the air, as he was arriving to the scene? To me it seems as if he had been on the scene for at least enough time to gather some information worthwhile reporting. And the evidence that's been provided, the enhanced MP3 clearly shows that Malcolm was told to change his story. He went from "high levels of radiation" to "Apparently these radioactive materials, these readings are normal." High levels of radiation are normal? Malcolm had to have been told that those radiation levels were high to begin with. None of that makes any sense. It's a complete backtrack from the tone set at the outset of the report by the anchorperson. And it contradicts the theory that the studio knew more than the field reporter. What it says is that someone, someone with a good deal of authority, stepped in at the last moment to avert a report that seemed on the verge of revealing something. Perhaps the report would have asked more questions. The bottom line is that the story ended up closing all avenues to further questions with the anchorperson stating, "The radioactivity levels there were normal. Normal in the situation in Jersey City."

This "normal" angle seems bogus to me. The report starts our ringing an alarm and does a complete about-face 49 seconds into the piece. Add in the questions about the driver, a person supposedly authorized to be in possession of the vehicle in question, running from the scene of an accident which was reportedly just a fender bender. That driver gets arrested or taken into custody. And the MP3 which clearly represents someone saying, "Tell them that there's no radiation." High levels of radiation to no levels of radiation to normal levels of radiation. Three different analyses of the radiation threat. Something went down and powerful people don't want us to know about it. Right or wrong, that's what it appears to be for me from the little information and evidence we've been presented.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by Areal51]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan5647
It is not just the big cities the terrorists want to destroy; they want to destroy all American cities and its citizens unless we convert to Islam. So you never know where the terrorists are going to strike next.

I'm no terrorist but I'm fairly certain that these extremists aren't trying to convert anyone here.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
You guys hear a story like this and you are ready to abandon ship. LOL LOL..the rest of you are looking for someone to blame.

I have to agree with you here. What happened is most likely a novice reporter trying to scoop a story and drawing some premature conclusions. From this, some have alarm bells ringing in their ears and are calling it a coverup of sinister proportions.

What's funny is that on the one hand, it's called a coverup conspiracy, and on the next hand the same people decry Fox News as a non-credible source using former NFL players as reporters. The same source that is accused of covering up is lambasted as incompetent. Go figure.:shk:

The only thing that bothers me is why the driver took off running. But,as I stated previously, it could be a benign reason such as a stolen ride or lack of license.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Partial translit

Hazmat out in full force
Quite a scene
Emergency services hard at work
This is no normal fender bender
Not taking any chances
The box was emitting high levels of radioactivity.

TELL THEM THERE'S NO RADIOACTIVITY

Apparently these levels are normal.
Not taking any chances.
Suspect tried to flee.
Not taking chances because of levels of radioactivity.
Have some levels they think are suspicious.
High levels coming from the box caused people to react the way they did
No one taking any chances
But of course radioactivity levels were normal

Google video...

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism

Did this make Ruppert's, now owned, WSJ?

To me it sounds like the reporter is being told to downplay it. Why? Probably because it was no big deal, and they didn't want to alarm the public. Responsible journalism, imo.

Being told to?

wiki - journalist
A journalist is a person who practices journalism, the gathering and dissemination of information about current events, trends, issues and people.

wiki - shills in journalism
The term is applied metaphorically, to commentators who have vested interests in or associations with parties in a controversial issue. Usually this takes the form of a show or network pretending to be offering news when in fact they are simply repeating "talking points" offered by a political party. Fox News has been accused as acting as a shill for the GOP.
But it is difficult to draw the line between normal influence and illicit interference.

Hazmat out in full force
Emergency services hard at work
Not taking any chances
The box was emitting high levels of radioactivity.

It is a scary world... but the Republican party can save you from the potential terroist threat.

Oh... by the way... there never was a threat...

In other news... britney spears is release from rehab... pan to cleavage shot.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky The same source that is accused of covering up is lambasted as incompetent. Go figure.:shk:

The chain of command is "covering up" (manifesting unfounded fear).

The supposed journalist is a purposefully-incompetent, paid-puppet shill.

www.time.com...

So is Fox a covert Republican shill? Shill, yes, sometimes. Its opinion shows blatantly tilt right.

TRUE JOURNALIST SPEAK THEIR MIND.

Subsidiaries (fox) of Global Media Conglomerates (newscorp) speak the AGENDA (fear) that suits the party in power (gop/zionism/nwo).

we will protect you against the terror

It is the emergence of mass media which makes possible the use of propaganda techniques on a societal scale. The orchestration of press, radio and television to create a continuous, lasting and total environment renders the influence of propaganda virtually unnoticed precisely because it creates a constant environment. Mass media provides the essential link between the individual and the demands of the technological society.

- Jacques Ellul

jsobecky, you've taken the 1:18 to immerse yourself in outfoxed right?

"TELL THEM..." the muffled voice says.

I AM,

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by orangetom1999
You guys hear a story like this and you are ready to abandon ship. LOL LOL..the rest of you are looking for someone to blame.

I have to agree with you here. What happened is most likely a novice reporter trying to scoop a story and drawing some premature conclusions. From this, some have alarm bells ringing in their ears and are calling it a coverup of sinister proportions.

What's funny is that on the one hand, it's called a coverup conspiracy, and on the next hand the same people decry Fox News as a non-credible source using former NFL players as reporters. The same source that is accused of covering up is lambasted as incompetent. Go figure.:shk:

The only thing that bothers me is why the driver took off running. But,as I stated previously, it could be a benign reason such as a stolen ride or lack of license.

Well if the car was indeed stolen, AND it had high levels of radiation coming from the boot, well I would be even more so interested in what he was doing.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I wonder if radiation leaves a trail that can be tracked somehow.

If so, is it possible to follow it backwards to see where it originated from?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It doesn't, but given he worked for a company that takes soil samples, I'd give you 20:1 that it's a soil tester, the cops overreacted because the ones on the scene didn't know what a soil tester was, so the kid freaked out when the cops went nuts and ran.

Then when someone with half a brain got there (probably took a while - it's a Jersey PD) it suddenly became evident what horses' rumps they all were.

God help if they walk past a banana stand, or the salt aisle in the grocery.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peyre
Well if the car was indeed stolen, AND it had high levels of radiation coming from the boot, well I would be even more so interested in what he was doing.

Don't give the driver too much credit; after all, he's boosting wheels to make a living.
Still in Darwin's Waiting Room, imo.

Car thieves have been known to steal cars only to discover a baby sleeping in the back seat. They usually make themselves scarce pretty quickly when they realize their mistake, too.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

It does if I have stolen the car or have stolen the equipment in the back of the car.

Let's try this for a scenario. Some moron steals one of those soil density meters and while he's leaving the scene he gets into an accident. Police respond to the accident and see a case in the back of the car with a symbol denoting radioactivity. With last weekend's threat to New York City fresh in his mind the cop calls out the HAZMAT team. HAZMAT shows up and their radioactivity detector lights up when it is near the case. HAZMAT calls for an expert. It takes the expert some time to arrive, during which time the road is blocked off. The expert shows up, opens the case and recognizes what the equipment is and says that there is no threat. A cop tells the Fox reporter that there's nothing to worry about. THE END.

No terrorist plot. No shadowy men from the Government running around flashing a strange light that distorts your memory. KARL ROVE isn't with in 150 miles.

I read a book several years ago written by a man who worked counter-terror against the IRA back in the 70's. In his book he made a profound statement. I'm probably paraphrasing here "We have to be lucky all of the time, the terrorists only have to be lucky once. As a result we always have to honor the threat.".

From reading some of the posts on ATS I have come to the conclusion that the Government can never do anything right, no matter what they do. They have to treat every minor incident like it is 9-11 Act 2 until they find out it isn't. When it turns out that it isn't 9-11 Act 2, you complain that they overreact. If it would turn out to be 9-11 Act 2 then they didn't do enough to prevent it.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by JIMC5499]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think HS and authorities want to portray us as having a calm front to the terrorists abroad.,( but the problem is they are here.,) and are downplaying things like this in a no big deal ,matter of fact have a great day manner. I have seen corrections in reporting before but this one left a giant skidmark in the middle of reporting. Its amazing what you all extracted for an event that was supposed to be really nothing, and all a mistake. I can see if it was a citizen with a phonecam just calling in an event, but it wasn't.as September approaches we will probably see more of this. If they knew a nuke was about to go off I doubt they would announce and panic everyone. Its a catch 22 for all of us, so the news we will be getting will be squelched, unless an unmanageable number of witnesses are on the scene looking.
In the meantime..the enemy lives and is among us, but we can't say it too loud or it will offend someone.
This clip is from Jihad watch on the political correctness climate in that City
Speak Softly

The police and prosecutor are "very scared" of this case. The Muslim community in Jersey City is putting enormous pressure on City Hall to softpedal the case. Says my source: "They [police and prosecutor] want this case to go away quickly because of that."

and the Danger is not limited to radiation if you consider how "Meticulously " careful NJ as a whole has been with Hazardous material
Just Come in and Takes Some

"As many as 70 percent of New Jersey's dams have missed safety inspections and more than a quarter of the state's businesses haven't complied with a law requiring them to report the hazardous chemicals they store, according to a report in the Record."

Its like a seen from Road Runner cartoon, where the Coyote is hanging by a thread over a cliff..and the Road Runner gives the final little nudge for him to fall over.

Beep! Beep!

SyS

[edit on 14-8-2007 by Sys_Config]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I want to know at what time it was found theres no radioactivity, and what time she said theres no radioactivity.

Why did they say it was emitting high levels, when it turns out there wasn't any?

Is testing cars for radioactivity standard practice these days?

Oddly timed and coincidental news story, considering the media of the past week or so. I'm surprised noones bringing this up.

Stories of terrorists wanting to use weapons via cars in random US cities.....
Then this story out of nowhere, to throw in a little 'omg oh yeah...the nuclear car thing, can't forget that could happen. I'm scared' story.

Right....

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

The point is that the situation, and thus the story, changed three times in the less than three minutes it took to report the story. If a DEFCON level indicator was on the scene it would have ranged from 4 through 1 blinking like Christmas lights.

Personally, I've never liked FOX News, but it still doesn't mean it's beyond getting criticized over what is obviously a bad job of reporting. Maybe all of my questions are meaningless. It doesn't matter because there is no story. The story started out as a story and then the anchor finally said, "Move along folks. Nothing to see here. Situation is normal." The anchorperson said there was no story. From SNAFU to SN in less than three minutes. And so if there is no story, as you seem to agree with, why report a non-event? Did they really just want to highlight the Jersey City Police Department making an arrest for an undetermined crime?

[edit on 14-8-2007 by Areal51]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Do any of you people own a radiac?? A frisker? Do any of you own one in that area where this story is taking place?? If Not ..why dont you own one?

I have one I purchased off the web. I need to get it calibrated but will soon mail it off to a lab which does such work.

Can you guys speculate more and outdo the media in speculation?

If you own one and live in this area..run around and take your own survey.

It will take work..and commitment ..not fear mongering. But no doubt you will know more than most of the public.

Whether the guy fled from the scene or not ...what are you folks going to do by panicking and spreading panic or speculation?? What...Please tell me.?? How are you people going to help yourselves or others except to spread blame?? What are you going to do about it??

Many of you will become as much of the problem as those for whom you speculate.

I agree with the poster who injected the rasberry...pan to news about Brittany. Some of you need to go back to watching American Idol.

Oh..by the way..for those of you who dont know..all the media outlets are shills for thier respective partys. All of them. I always keep this in mind when listening to the news. No matter what the source. Some of you need to be smarter than this.

By the way...I havent watched any news on this story..not on the boob tube. Everything I know about this is from this site here on ATS. Is this story being reported on any other outlets than on Fox?? Curious about this. I have not heard this on the radio today. I do listen to talk radio on occasion. I havent heard this story on the radio today. Mostly I am hearing about the trapped miners out west.

I do agree with Sys_Config...in that New Jearsy is a dumping ground for all kinds of hazardous materials ..not just radioactive stuff. IT has been this way for years and years now.

Also about the pressure on the government from the Muslim community. This is to be expectced.

I did not ,however , know about the dams missing safety inspections or the reporting of such hazardous materials. My Thanks to Sys_Config for this info.

The story quoted about the guy wanting to build a death ray...If I recall correctly that is from a article titled..." The radioactive boy scout." It occured some 12 years back or more. This young man wound up in the US Navy serving this country. You can look this story up under the quoted title on the web.

Keep up the panic and speculation folks..you will do well with this tack.

To those of you who have actually been out in the scrub and the S--t where real dicipline is required...I salute and say. OOORAH!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51
The point is that the situation, and thus the story, changed three times in the less than three minutes it took to report the story. If a DEFCON level indicator was on the scene it would have ranged from 4 through 1 blinking like Christmas lights.

This is typical of late-breaking news. If the station is correct, then tomorrow's news will be sure to start out with "And in an update to a story that you heard first here on Channel 5,...". If the station is wrong, however, you'll find the retraction buried way back on "page 38". This particular station had the good fortune to be able to extract the foot from their mouth before their rush to scoop was jumped upon.

Originally posted by Areal51
And so if there is no story, as you seem to agree with, why report a non-event? Did they really just want to highlight the Jersey City Police Department making an arrest for an undetermined crime?

They yelled "Bingo" before they double-checked their numbers, is all.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Update From Jersey City

Well, it wasn't a conspiracy after all..

Box marked 'radioactive' found in car
Monday, August 13, 2007

Jersey City fire officials last night were taking precautionary readings after an automobile accident opened the trunk of a parked vehicle which apparently contained a box of radioactive material.

A car parked at Summit and Hoboken avenues was struck by a moving vehicle at about 9:15 last night, according to Police Lt. Edgar Martinez, who said the accident caused the parked vehicle's trunk to open

Police saw a box marked "radioactive material" in the trunk, said Martinez, who added there was no reason to believe the accident caused any material in the box to leak. Police ran the plates on the parked vehicle and contacted the father of the vehicle's owner, who said his son works for a company which takes soil samples.

Police said they didn't know what caused the accident. Martinez said local television stations made the incident appear far more serious than it actually was.

www.nj.com.../base/news-4/1186984899277260.xml&coll=3

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Update From Jersey City

Well, it wasn't a conspiracy after all..

Box marked 'radioactive' found in car
Monday, August 13, 2007

Jersey City fire officials last night were taking precautionary readings after an automobile accident opened the trunk of a parked vehicle which apparently contained a box of radioactive material.

A car parked at Summit and Hoboken avenues was struck by a moving vehicle at about 9:15 last night, according to Police Lt. Edgar Martinez, who said the accident caused the parked vehicle's trunk to open

Police saw a box marked "radioactive material" in the trunk, said Martinez, who added there was no reason to believe the accident caused any material in the box to leak. Police ran the plates on the parked vehicle and contacted the father of the vehicle's owner, who said his son works for a company which takes soil samples.

Police said they didn't know what caused the accident. Martinez said local television stations made the incident appear far more serious than it actually was.

www.nj.com.../base/news-4/1186984899277260.xml&coll=3

And so it was just a quaint feel good story after all.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam

God help if they walk past a banana stand, or the salt aisle in the grocery.

Sounds like Tom Bedlam has been around the block a few times. Good to know that someone has thier head out here in reality.

Most of us haven't a clue as to what ordinary mateials give off a higher radioactive count verses other materials.

Good call here Tom. Rad Techs at work tell me the same pattern for lettuce. Does that make us want to give up those Whoppers/Big Macs ??? Not likely. How about fries..dont they salt those?? Man oh..Man..I love a large order of fries!!

Still haven't heard anything on the radio on this news story. Dont have the boob tube on here. Apparently this is going to be a very short lived story.
Most likely best it is so.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 14-8-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I worked at a well known national lab in what I'll call the "Oh s--t!" department for a while until I decided I'd rather live under a bridge than keep doing that job.

Anyways, the unsettling truth is that right there in Jersey City are a surprising number of radioactive sources that are almost ready-to-use. If you:

1) don't care if one or two of you dies from exposure
2) don't care if you have to whack a few guards (and I stress "few")
3) have some money to flesh out your TO&E for 'tools' and transport

There are several several Curies of very strong gamma emitters in pre-powdered form that are not well guarded. I won't say where or what. But it's not like such a thing is impossible to get, really not even that difficult, but you'd have to hit it so fast that you won't have time to do it by the book.

I have been thinking about selling something like a smoke detector for the home that picks up at least gamma, maybe a higher end one to add in beta emitters. I think they'd sell like hotcakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join