It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Maybe this is just my age showing, but when i think of Vietnam's anti-war movement i think "hippies". When i think "hippies" i think words like "make love, not war" "peace" and "pacifism". I don't see Iraq's anti-war movement in the same light. I see more of a "you try and take my rights away and i'll # you up #er!" crowd. The only way i could see a draft ending the war is we'd be trained for an armed conflict and pretty mad and actually do something about it. they can always steal elections, but it would be pointless if we felt we had to remove them by less than peaceful means. I thought they wanted to take are guns, not teach us how to shoot?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I was growing up in the hippie era. I don't remember the peace marches but I do remember the end of Viet Nam. I also remember a few years later my father came to me and said that the enlistments in the military were below what was needed, so the government was considering the draft again. It was just after that when all the advertising for the military started.
I guess what this means is I still think if the draft is started again we will see a sooner end to the war.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
I see a lot of brainwashed people in this thread, ie, "everyone should serve the government"

We, the citizens of the United States of America, are not born, raised, and educated to "serve the government", the government is there to "serve the people".

I think the government would be less likely to jump needlessly into war if everyone had manditory millitary training. With out it what are we going to do, vote them out of office

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Quote fromLegalizer

I see a lot of brainwashed people in this thread, ie, "everyone should serve the government"

We, the citizens of the United States of America, are not born, raised, and educated to "serve the government", the government is there to "serve the people".

We the people are the government. It is typical of this generation to sit back and let everybody else do the work while they sit back and bitch about what a bad job is being done.

Any country needs the support of it's citizens to survive. If you aren't happy with the job that is being done get off your a$$ and do something to change it. Sitting in front of your monitor banging on your keyboard doesn't cut it.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
QUOTE FROM Legalizer

We the people ARE the government. It is our responsibility to contribute to the national well being It is typical of this generation to sit back and let everyone else do the work while they sit back and bitch about the work that is being done. This country only succeeded with active participation of the population. If ,after you complete your term of service, you don't like the job that the government is doing than get involved or even run for office.
In a relatively few number of years most politicians will have been through their term of service and have that perspective to work from.

I guess my point is that it is a lot easier to sit in front of your monitor bannging on the keyboard than to get off your a$$ and be a part of the solution.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by duster]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm totally unsurprised that Bush's mouthpiece Lute has said what effectively means they're going to do whatever they please anyways. What makes me so unsurprised is that if you remember during the 2004 election the draft was a pretty hot topic for a minute and Bush said they will not have a draft and was very adamant about it. I wish I could remember the exact quote but he was very against it at the time which I thought was a pile of crap as usual.

I'm just waiting for the day that the lottery balls start spinning.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Legalizer

That was an epic post on page 4. Can't remember a better one in recent history. A star for you.

What else can I say other than that. A draft won't stop the war.......and let me be a little sexist for a minute, females should not be drafted PERIOD!!! They can volunteer if they want, but military service shouldn't be mandatory for females. That just rubs me the wrong way, this isn't freakin' Israel.

Peace

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
i know im a little late coming in on this but my husband and i were just talking about this yesterday so i thought i would throw in my $.02

I am totally against the war, against the fact that a draft even has to be considered,
BUT if our soldiers, many of whom are still kids themselves, are going to be there fighting and dieing they need to have enough boots on the ground to sustain missions/combat, give troops adequate rests between deployment, and provide a relative safety in numbers.

During the vietnam war the draft was only for males, but now there is a high percentage of women in the military, so i assume that females will be included in this draft.
Before it was sons, brothers, fathers horrid enough in itself!
but will they honestly send mothers into mandatory service during war time. Can you imagine the effects on an entire generation of young children say 0-6 having their mothers sent off to war, i do realize that father's are of the utmost important but the role of the mother in the very young child is usually quite different that the father in those early years.

Also the make up of the family unit has changed so drastically, what about single parents of either sex raising children on their own. I can only hope that would be a given exception, though if so i can see more than a few divorces on paper happening in order to avoid serving.

Unless motherhood gives automatic exemption I would be likely eligible as a healthy female in my later middle twenties....(i refuse to say thirty-ish not for another year or two) and my husband would not be eligible due to having several siezures as a reaction to a medication as well as knee injuries from playing baseball semi-proffessionally in the past.
Scares the hell out of me

[edit on 16-8-2007 by gluetrap]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
OMG, your post makes me squirm.

First of all...You're okay, I promise.
In fact, I'll lay my life on your line. Seriously.

U2U me.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
makes you squirm? care to elaborate?

the draft is a good bit off if it does in fact happen. However it is a real possibility IMO and i am curious how they will deal with many of the issues i stated before.

But it is a bizarre thing to be even contemplating my own eligibilty for a draft, not something i ever anticipated in any way,

Our 18 yr old nephew lives with us and we see several of his many friends daily in passing it is so suprising that when i have brought it up to him he totally shrugs it off, he said its not even an issue with kids his age, most of them are truly are so self absorbed its frightening, it is all cell phones and ipods and parties and just general apathy towards adulthood or true responsibility at all.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
A draft wouldnt work. I might only be twenty so i dont have all the wisdom and experience of vietnam et all, but it gives me a different insight that is special in its own right for my statement. I know many people in my city and surrounding major metropolitan area in the 18-25 bracket who i have asked about conscription, and not one out of hundreds of people have said they wouldnt think twice about revolting and overthrowing the government.

OH and to all those mouthpieces i tried enlisting but i was rejected for medical reasons, ( i passed the tests and all the physical requirements)

May Odin bless you with might if revolution comes.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join