It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look

www.guardian.co.uk

WASHINGTON (AP) - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

``I think it makes sense to certainly consider it,'' Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's ``All Things Considered.''

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abc.net.au
www.localnewswatch.com

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

``And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another,''

As someone who could be drafted, it bothers me when the
issue is brought up. I know the issue comes up now and then,
so is this more of the same? Its one thing to keep that option
"on the table", but are we really at the point right now to
"consider it"?

Charlie Rangel isn't much help either.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Is it even possible to draft people when so many are against the war?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well Read up on what Rangel was doing, he was saying impose the draft and that ALL eligible people will have to go, no matter who their fathers are. And perhaps this would make the people who decide on going to war think a little harder when its their kid that will have to go.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Unfortunately, it needs to be done! It would help the defense budget because now you wouldn't have to pay signing bonus for recruits or use private contractors!

Maybe, the politicians would be less likely to go into harms way if there children are at risk to war!

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I think Mel does have the main point right. I think if the draft happens it will be what ends U.S. involvement in the war faster then anything thing else. Once all the rich people start having there kids getting killed in the war, I think things will change in DC must faster then it usually does.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thats a sad state of affairs to be in though. Having to have rich kids die to effect change. Anyone dying is bad, mind you.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Stumason,
Yes its a sad state of affairs to have any one die rich or poor to affect change. But consider what all is happening in Iraq. There is an awful lot of people being killed indiscrimantly. Or you could consider the terror attacks in New York. That also affected a lot of change. Sad it is, but how many ideas are out there that will change the hearts and minds of all men?

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hmm, this looks like the beginning of a Memeplex. The Memeplex is in Very Newspeak terms.

Start the Draft= End the War.

That is very dangerous. Before long we might have Liberals and Democrats lobbying for a Draft so that it ends the war. Meanwhile Ron Paul would be pointing out both parties had lost their minds.

You Dont End the War by starting the Draft period.

This is Newspeak Propaganda. You want the KIAs to go from a few thousand to tens of thousands go ahead start the draft.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I'd like to thank the Cobra commander above.

When there's talk about an "extended war", and more and more news of
Iranian influence affecting Iraq pours in, just to fuel Cheney's dreams,
I don't think Bush's War Czar, Lt. Gen. Lute, has any intention of ending
the conflict quickly by reinstating the draft.

Somehow I think the really rich and powerful will find ways to avoid service
while your average Joe gets sacrificed for the imperialist war machine.

I guess all they need is some catalyzing event..

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
In all honesty I'm surprised a military officer would say something like this.

Moral and politics aside, it was my understanding that a volunteer army performs many times more effectively than a drafted army. Especially in an unpopular war such as Iraq.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Well, for those of you that live in the US, that is one statement to ruin a good day. Draft will end the war? Think outside the box people.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Awesome.

I cant wait to be blown up by some fanatic coward with a cellphone. At least my family will be at peace knowing I died for furor Cheney.

You think my asthma will save me? The marines were willing to turn a blind eye last time I talked to them, so I guess it's not looking to good for me.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
now all those illegal immigrants who think they deserve citizenship will have the honor of dying for their country! you know no matter what the rich will not pay for this war in money or lives, not a single senator or congressman's son will serve thats just the way it is. even if they do, it will be a cushy desk job far from the battlefield. we have UAV's, thats a perfect job for some stuck up computer game playing elected officials son.

[edit on 8/10/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Hows the draft going to work? I cant see all those fat kids making it through the first 2 weeks of boot camp

Apart from that anyone not wanting to go can just say no and go to jail, its not as if someones going to force you over to iraq.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate

Charlie Rangel isn't much help either.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Charles Rangel is sponsoring the Universal National Service Act of 2007, a bill that would require all citizens of the U.S. between the ages of 18 and 42 "to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security"

The bill only has two co-sponsors, and was introduced on Jan 10, 2007.

[edit on 8/11/2007 by Alien42]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Is it even possible to draft people when so many are against the war?

IMO - nada chance. Congress was surprised at the vehemence unleashed upon them when they tried to pass a little immigration bill - can you imagine those same Lou Dobb-ites if they tried to push this through?

Course....it could be a beautiful thing. I have long held the view "vote incumbents out" - a bill like this would serve two purposes. 1- every congressman who voted in support of the bill would be tossed and 2- the withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

B.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
not a single senator or congressman's son will serve thats just the way it is. even if they do, it will be a cushy desk job far from the battlefield. we have UAV's, thats a perfect job for some stuck up computer game playing elected officials son.

Actually there are several Congressman that have kids currently in Iraq & Afghanistan,
and they don't have cushy jobs, in fact I know atleast one senators son died in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
Hows the draft going to work? I cant see all those fat kids making it through the first 2 weeks of boot camp

Apart from that anyone not wanting to go can just say no and go to jail, its not as if someones going to force you over to iraq.

Indeed. I wonder if our prisons have vacancies available though.
Now all those Halliburton/KBR detention centers make more sense..

Originally posted by Alien42
Charles Rangel is sponsoring the Universal National Service Act of 2007, a bill that would require all citizens of the U.S. between the ages of 18 and 42 "to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security"

Hah, so at least there's some options. I'm sure there's plenty
who would take up some civilian service to avoid prison.

Originally posted by Bleys
IMO - nada chance. Congress was surprised at the vehemence unleashed upon them when they tried to pass a little immigration bill - can you imagine those same Lou Dobb-ites if they tried to push this through?

I absolutely agree, there would be outrage, especially from the "Lou Dobb-ites".

And iori_komei is correct. Is there a list of Senators and Representatives
whose sons or daughters are currently serving and what positions?
Off the top of my head, I know Senator Jim Webb has a son in the Marines.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I know that this is the absolute last thing that any of you (opinion based on the above posted statements) want to realize; but, your Democrat vote will absolutely cement your fears of a draft. It's the Democrat congress that originates these obscene ideas.

Conscription. That's the formal term for 'draft'. It's also the formal term for 'army of implied front to congressional bargaining'. No intentional war, such as Iraq/Afghanistan, will ever be sacrificed to the hands of an all conscription offensive. Normally, conscription is entirely defensive.

Think I'm tripping? Look it up!! I KNOW what I'm talking about.

Repubs may have started this war (in some opinions), but it's the Dems that'll place your ass in the red zone, in an NY subway minute! As much as they'd love for you to believe that their own children would fight, that anty is a poker bluff! Their children WILL NEVER EVER see combat.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I've been concerned for some time that a President....any President...might decide tha the War onTerror needs to be fought for so long that it really does require a draft. If you look at it through the eyes of a politician, it (the draft) offers many temptations.

In certain respects, a draft--no matter how tame--would benefit defense contractors and politicians alike. The politicos and their cronies can get ruck, while the American populace is kept in fear. I would expect many of the "conscripted units" to be stationed here at home, which would increase federal...options...in the event that the population becomes too unhappy.

This draft might also result in some of the cadres that I warned about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join