It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The name calling in this thread is officially over, effective immediately.

If you can't abide by that, please take a few minutes to go calm down and enjoy a less contentious topic.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
*pop Pop CLICK !* (cracks mental knuckles)

I am interested in seeing what percentage of our population is willing to fight in the event of a draft.
Personally to myself it does not matter what we feel about the war. Whether it is just or unjust the real issue is whether or not it is the right of the government to force us into the military.
In my view, I say no. Our rights include protection against soldiers turning our homes into barracks. It makes no sense that they cannot take our homes, but they can take our sons and daughters whether we like it or not.

There was a term to describe it back then. "shanghai"
Now we call it "draft".

Now given that the military is also playing with RFID chips, that places me doubly against the draft.
You see, I believe it is wrong to force a person to accept a number inside of them or on their body. I say this because I believe Biblical prophecies which state that in the last days a marking system will be established.
Without this mark, you don't shop or work, or own. Furthermore, it says that if you accept a particular mark that identifies you as the follower of a world leader, you are condemned. (is the d-word okay in this context, seeing as it is used with its original meaning?)This RFID system is a fulfillment of the prophecy I believe. And so I am obligated to fight the precursor of that system.

If the populous is against the draft and it is enforced anyway, then what action should be taken? It would be grounds for an uprising, in my opinion.

thats my two copper stamps.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Take the current war off the table for a minute. It in and of itself has a tendency to change your long term view.

I feel that every person upon turning 18 years of age enter a period of service to the government. It would consist of the first two years being active duty and the following four years in a reserve capacity. Those who are physically capable would serve their time in the military. Those who would not be physically capable could serve in a stateside support position.

This would apply to each and every person, rich or poor, and would not be influenced by who your family was.

The military strength of this nation should never again be allowed to reach the condition it did during the Clinton administration.

The way the military is set up now it definitely puts a disproportionate burden on the less affluent of our society.

By the way for all you people talking about the draft during Viet Nam taking only the poor people I've got news for you. My parents were quite wealthy and both my brother and I were drafted and served in Viet Nam.

It is time for every body to do their fair share and don't expect someone else to have to perform all the unpleasant tasks. If we are going to share this country equally than we all have to step up to the table.

If there is some sort of military activity during your watch than you do what you have to do. If there isn't than good for you.

Nothing should be expected from anyone that isn't expected from everyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
invest in companies making bullets and get rich then you may be able to buy your way out...

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Hmm, this looks like the beginning of a Memeplex. The Memeplex is in Very Newspeak terms.

Start the Draft= End the War.

That is very dangerous. Before long we might have Liberals and Democrats lobbying for a Draft so that it ends the war. Meanwhile Ron Paul would be pointing out both parties had lost their minds.

You Dont End the War by starting the Draft period.

This is Newspeak Propaganda. You want the KIAs to go from a few thousand to tens of thousands go a. start the draft.

I have to disagree with you here.

There are so many people against this war, but yet they are not directly effected by it. This was exactly Rangels (sp?) point when proposing this last year.

I for one would like to see every senators child in Iraq fighting the good fight, so that it becomes so much more than a political exercise for them.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
And don't forget the President's daughter!! She can go too!!

I think, as several other posters here, including myself have already stated, that we need to have a mandatory service in the armed forces for everyone. During the tour, each person can train up on something on the side, so that when they get out, they can go to work in some profession of their choice. This would be ideal, as it would raise the education level of the nation, and re-establish some sense of self-respect to us as a people.

We need this...

TheBorg

[Edited for clarity.]

[edit on 12-8-2007 by TheBorg]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
On the contrary, they WILL arrest those who refuse to go, and any assisting them. Your country has built more than a few concentration style camps within its' borders, so they have the place to dump them. You are not paranoid, they will be out to get you!

I'll assume your joking. But for the sake of argument, lets say your not.
Here is why you are wrong. Bush's approval rating is so low because of this war that he could hide it under his bed. So youre gonna tell me that when he says Mr. and Mrs. taxpayer/voter son/daughter has to go die so that Haliburton can score another contract that their not gonna protest, just a tad? Now multiply that by 25 million angry Aunt's, cousin's, brother. sisters, nephews, grandpa's and grandma's all with their shotguns they bought all walmart, ready to take on what is already a depleted army, evident by the draft. TRUST ME. There are not enough secret concentration camps in the world that would hold the amount of angry Americans who are already sick of the number of deaths and the lack of progress. Not to mention the amount of money that has gone into the pockets of companies like Cheney's Halliburton, or the hundreds of thousands killed or misplaced Iraqis.

That's why the Draft will not happen.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
And don't forget the President's daughter!! She can go too!!

Daughters, he has two girls, twins I think.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I am sorry I'm always asking questions, but I love information. I'm surprised the government here haven't had the same idea yet. I've forgotten everything I took in Social Studies but don't you have to declare war on a country or entity and not just an ideal? Are we ( both our countries ) Canada and the U.S. legally at war with anyone? If we instate a draft or war measures act are we sending a message to the "bad guys' whoever "they' are or ate we just going to make things worse? I still haven't decided on whether there are indeed malevolent aliens but are we possibly gearing up for an invasion from them or maybe the Chinese? I'll probably make a few enemies on this post, but I want PEACE. Thankyou.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Looking at this issue from a country with firmly established national service (since 1918);

USA would benefit from a national service, not only militarily, but allso socially. Service draws people out from their hoods effectively breaking/splitting gangs. It allso allows/forces people from all social groups to be together, that alone can be very educating experience. It allso allows society to re-integrate those that are in danger of dropping out.

Ps. Nothing helps the obese more than 12 months of heahlty military life

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Looking at this issue from a country with firmly established national service (since 1918);

USA would benefit from a national service, not only militarily, but allso socially. Service draws people out from their hoods effectively breaking/splitting gangs. It allso allows/forces people from all social groups to be together, that alone can be very educating experience. It allso allows society to re-integrate those that are in danger of dropping out.

Ps. Nothing helps the obese more than 12 months of heahlty military life

You are right in essence. It's good for smaller countries but when you are dealing with a 'superpower' or a country that starts a lot of wars, then it doesn't sound as noble.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Hm, strange my post does'nt seem to have shown up.
Oh well, I suppose I'll remake it.

Something I feel I should say, since I am so vehemently against the draft.
I don't
necessarily have a problem with a year or two of civil service or military training
(a year of each would be the best), what I am against is forcing people to join the
military and forcing them to fight in a war, especially when they don't believe in
it or violence in general.

[edit on 8/12/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone

Originally posted by Cynic
On the contrary, they WILL arrest those who refuse to go, and any assisting them. Your country has built more than a few concentration style camps within its' borders, so they have the place to dump them. You are not paranoid, they will be out to get you!

I'll assume your joking. But for the sake of argument, lets say your not.
Here is why you are wrong. Bush's approval rating is so low because of this war that he could hide it under his bed. So youre gonna tell me that when he says Mr. and Mrs. taxpayer/voter son/daughter has to go die so that Haliburton can score another contract that their not gonna protest, just a tad? Now multiply that by 25 million angry Aunt's, cousin's, brother. sisters, nephews, grandpa's and grandma's all with their shotguns they bought all walmart, ready to take on what is already a depleted army, evident by the draft. TRUST ME. There are not enough secret concentration camps in the world that would hold the amount of angry Americans who are already sick of the number of deaths and the lack of progress. Not to mention the amount of money that has gone into the pockets of companies like Cheney's Halliburton, or the hundreds of thousands killed or misplaced Iraqis.

That's why the Draft will not happen.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by kleverone]

Don'tcha julst love some serious sarcasm?

BUT: You will see a form of the draft re-introduced at some point. Directed primarily at the 18 - 25 year old singles. The forcess will likely encourage them through a series of expanded "upbeat" patriotic ads, and on-site recruiting at sporting events etc. More selective service, less random picking. To start.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I see a lot of brainwashed people in this thread, ie, "everyone should serve the government"

We, the citizens of the United States of America, are not born, raised, and educated to "serve the government", the government is there to "serve the people".

Our government has been involved in war crimes, how can you with any seriousness suggest everyone turning 18 should become party to that?

Discharged soldiers kill, Oklahoma City, D.C. Sniper, Oswald and his accomplices to name a few.

One third of soldiers returning from Iraq suffer mental illness.
20,000 or more are gravely injured. Who knows what the percentage of vets are that
have been exposed to depleted uranium?

We don't have any numbers on the homeless vets, and their homelessness can be contributed to either physical or mental injuries which make them unable to work.

If there was to be a useful 'draft' it should be into medical training to make national healthcare plausible, America already imports nurses to fill the need.

Drafted farming to keep the money in the states and keep the illegals out, would be another useful 'draft'.

You'll note we only have mandatory education up to the age of 15 or 16, and not mandatory college so that people can become employable and productive citizens, nope.

Where's the draft for engineers to fix the 360 odd bridges that failed inspections?
Why waste time firing rounds at dummy targets in basic when there is a country to be fixed?

Whats that you say? Army Corps. of Engineers?
Two words to respond to that: New Orleans.

America doesn't need more cannon fodder to encourage the Bush's and Cheney's of this country to run their illegal campaigns on foreign soil. Or more trained bodies for the likes of Blackwater to hire up. Or more over trained mall cops with an attitude.

Any of you who are gung ho for a draft, get your rear ends off your computer chairs, and go fight the damn war yourselves. Too old to sign up? Join Blackwater or any of the other private contracting companies. Too feable, disabled, mentally unstable?
Go be a human shield for a eighteen year old soldier who got conned by macho commercials while watching his favorite cartoons growing up.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by Legalizer]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Go be a human shield for a eighteen year old soldier who got conned by macho commercials while watching his favorite cartoons growing up.

A coincidence I thought I would share, just because it was funny.

Right after I finished reading your post, I went to another thread (that had nothing
to do with the military or government) and at the top of the page in the banner
ad was a 'Navy: Accelerate your life.' add.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I agree with Justin, even if a draft does come into play it will not end the "war". Look if a draft is signed even more people will be away from the US if another 9.11 nuke catastrophe does happen. A draft is all you are hoping will end the war, thats not what will end it, the country is not in our hands it is in the hands of the few in fact it is in the hands of about 1/4,000,000 of the population. But then again why don't 4,000,000 people stand up to one, because of fear. They keep us in a huge web of fear and how is fear generated, by lies.

Forget about a draft it won't do much. Has a draft ever ended a war, even indirectly? And can you really believe that rich children will in fact go away to war, no.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Mandatory service. I shudder at the thought.

Would there still be exclusions? Only children, single surviving child?

Mandatory Civil service ... now that is more reasonable. Imagine if we had mandatory school through college. Part of the college is a mandatory 2 days a week doing civil work, helping the community in various ways. A third day of the week, required course on understanding the government and voting system and how to be socially active about things that count.

I don't believe in mandatory anything, but, I think my suggestion would be for the good of the country, and those mentioned a couple posts prior.

If they want soldiers ... why not offer criminals a chance for true rehabilitation? Of course not the mass murderers and child molestors ... but the majority of people are in for relatively petty offenses. Anyone who would be released anyway, put them through training (I . it raises moral values as well), let them fight for the country ... then when they return, they earn their freedom and rights back. Add clearing prior offenses from people who have already served, from their record as well. I am sure some people wouldn't mind wiping a public intoxication or possession charges off the slate, or something they did as a teenager that still haunts them in their 30's.

Just another idea for a volunteer army option.

Oh, and of course ... we should add, as commander-in-chief ... he and his lakis must be on the front line leading the assault. They should be the symbols of patriotism and supporting our troops by taking the helm on the field! Hehe.

[edit on 8/13/07 by FreeThinkerIdealist]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The problem with this country right now is that everyone is too acquiescent to stand up to an oppressor and tell them that they've had enough. As others have posted in this very thread, we're all in fear of those in power. Well, mandatory service would more than likely alleviate this little mental block, as it would re-invigorate us with patriotism and confidence. Enough that maybe, we could stand up to those that wish to oppress us and tell them no more.

As anyone can tell, I'm in full support of mandatory service of some kind. Whether it be civilian or otherwise should be left as a decision for both the person joining and those they sign up with. I'm sure that if something like this were started, this would be worked out so that those going in would be where they want to be.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Going back to what a lot of people said before, the war is run by people safe at home in the US and its fought by people over seas, away from friends, family, and anything remotely comfortable. I say every politician that rallies for more $$$ or a draft or an extension of the war, have THEM sent over there. Maybe not to fight or serve, but to live under their conditions. I guarantee you that war will end as quick as it started.

How much longer till Bush is out of office?

edit: ^^^ resistance IS futile
especially with the new Martial Law ... Law

[edit on 13-8-2007 by midnightrider07]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This might be importand to those of you who are of age or have loved ones who are.

The Pentagon sharply rejected Monday a key general's assertion that a return to the military draft has always been "an option on the table" and should be considered.

"I can tell you emphatically that there is absolutely no consideration being given to reinstituting the draft," said Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman. "The all-volunteer force has surpassed all expectations of its founders."

sorce

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join