It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a possible stop to global warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
global warming is caused by gases right?
well, if your car dosn't produce any gas its not poluting, what if insted of coming out of you exaust pipe it was sent to a tank that compressed the gas into a solid or cooled it to a liquid or solid. Then when the tank is full you just take it to a petrol station where they have special pumps or workers to dispose of it.
wallah! if you incorporate this into factories and other fossil fuel burners thats pollution solved

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
feel free to post your ideas

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
But what would they do with the gases? claim that its disposed of properly but to save money, dump it in our lakes and oceans?

Does global warming even exist?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bumr055

Good question. . .

Has mankind ever produced global warming on a scale that has resulted in an ice age?

The Earth has been subjected to natural events on numerous occasions that have resulted in global change in climate.

We probably have contributed to the present increase in mean temperature of our planet, but this has happened multiple times in the Earth's history from single catastrophic events. . .

Never has " man " been the sole culprit of such an event.

2PacSade-

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Couldn't global Warming Just Be Like The Ice age But On Another Scale?

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2PacSade

Has mankind ever produced global warming on a scale that has resulted in an ice age?

2PacSade-

When the population was low and we burned small amounts of coal and wood to keep a small home warm in the winter, no.

Since the industrial revolution, development of power plants, fossil fuel powered vehicles ...

Never before has 'man' put so much toxic fumes into the atmosphere, or any animal for that matter in history. Add in the burning of forests, other stripping of nature, and the unnatural increase in toxic producing animals ... such as cows for food and dairy ... the methane converts into CO2 rather quickly. It all adds up to quite a force us measly humans blow out our tail-pipes.

Major catastrophic events have caused major changes, yes. Are humans a major catastrophic event?

It seems to be so, we pollute on the level of a major volcano blast at regular intervals, increasing in size, and no sign of stopping.

The rest of the normal world cycles will continue, if not speed up.

I am starting to press the issue of dropping the term 'global warming' for something like global responsibility, global cleanliness ... along those lines. Global warming is detachable, and until it is too late, or later ... it will never provable, if it does exist. This is why I counter with something of greater impact to the minds and hearts. Cleanliness and responsibility.

You wouldn't have guests in your house if you blocked your chimney and burned coal 24 hours a day, never cleaned you bathrooms, poured chemicals where ever. Why do we do this to the only planet we depend on for existence?

Stop polluting the air we breath for the sake of cleanliness. Clean energy and proper recycling of waste. I am sure we could find a way to use things that are being dumped in our waters. I could go on, but you get the point.

To the o.p.

the logistics of trying to capture and store these gases are not practical. The temperatures required to cool them to a liquid or solid is extremely low.

Do you realize how much gas is released from each car? Let's say you drive a very efficient car (40-50 mpg) ... this car is also rated as one of the top cleanliest vehicles, we will said 3rd best rating (ULEV - ultra low emissions vehicle ...) which in cities like L.A. almost 'clean' the air comparatively. This vehicle ... driven around 15,000 miles, still puts out 2.5-3 tons of ghg. Now, take a vehicle, like a sports car. It gets 15 mpg ... it puts out 10+ tons of ghg for the same distance. Multiply this by the number of cars/trucks/airplanes/boats/atv/chainsaws/etc. on the planet. This doesn't include factories/powerplants/etc. Those two cars already added up to 26,000 lbs of gas a year and hauling it around produces even more gas!

What are we going to do with trillions upon trillions of tons of stored ghg a year? What affect will we see if a leak happens and a massive amount escapes at once? CO2 death cloud!

It would be more practical to make cars that ran on CO2 and produced O2 and carbon (clean, controlled nuclear fission) ... then we could fix the environment by pulling the contaminants out of the air. Don't expect to see that anytime soon, though.

This is why I saw, build the technology that reduces or eliminates these emissions. Just to be clean, and have healthy air to breath. Batteries with solar panels and hydrogen powered generators to power electric motors built into the wheels will be a big help. Alternative fuels as well. We really need to work on using the planet's magnetism and other natural forces to our advantage as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
once carbon is solid or liquid it can't harm the air around us so i don't know what they would do with it but they could probibly find a use

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by open mind
once carbon is solid or liquid it can't harm the air around us so i don't know what they would do with it but they could probibly find a use

True!!
Carbon can be a very valuable material. I'm sure the aviation or motorvehicle industry would make use of the stuff.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bumr055
But what would they do with the gases? claim that its disposed of properly but to save money, dump it in our lakes and oceans?

Ermmm...yes.

J.

top topics

join