It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists reveal secret of levitation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Scientists reveal secret of levitation

news.yahoo.com

LONDON (AFP) - Scientists have discovered a ground-breaking way of levitating ultra small objects, which may revolutionise the design of micro-machines, a new report says.

Physicists said they can create "incredible levitation effects" by manipulating so-called Casimir force, which normally causes objects to stick together by quantum force.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-8-2007 by wrangell76]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
This is Awesome! Check it out...

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-8-2007 by wrangell76]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Interesting that they note the force was first discovered in 1948 and not measured until the late 90's

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by itikins
Interesting that they note the force was first discovered in 1948 and not measured until the late 90's

Hmm, those are interesting dates...

A prequel to UFO Disclosure? Dunno.

A spiffy-dang coolio technology? You betchya!

I want this tech put into beer bottles... imagine if you will, sitting on the couch and having a fresh beer float to you from the fridge!

[edit on 8/7/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

Originally posted by itikins

Hmm, those are interesting dates...

A prequel to UFO Disclosure? Dunno.

Hmmm... I am not all that familiar with dates regarding significant UFO sightings or on Area 51, but if 1948 was a year that a UFO was discovered this "levitation" discovery could prove interesting.

Something to ponder...Right under this headline on Yahoo! they had a link about how to buy a Flying Saucer....Interesting huh? I thought it was.
Here is the link they put on there...
news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 7-8-2007 by wrangell76]

[edit on 7-8-2007 by wrangell76]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The dates are interesting because of this...

The Roswell UFO Incident involved the recovery of materials near Roswell, New Mexico, USA, in July 1947...

SOURCE | Wikipedia.com | Read more...

[edit on 8/7/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Thanks damajikninja for helping with the post. I am new here and still learning the ropes...

Anyway, about the dates of the Roswell crash...That is very interesting and I am hooked now on the subject....I wonder if there is going to be a disclosure soon, especially with all of the sightings recently??

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
The dates are interesting because of this...

The Roswell UFO Incident involved the recovery of materials near Roswell, New Mexico, USA, in July 1947...

I knew it was something about the force discovery date that was picking my brain. You nailed it, thanks.

(mod edit to correct quote format)

[edit on 7-8-2007 by pantha]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

by manipulating so-called Casimir force, which normally causes objects to stick together by quantum force.

I thought that was something to do with so called zero point or vacuum energy?

Anyway, good find.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This doesn't have anything to do with UFO's other than the obvious levitation effect. You guys should read up more about the Casimir effect, which was discovered by a Dutch scientist (Casimir) in 1948.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This would be a nice story to follow, may be in the next 10 to 20 years scientist would find a way of using this type of knowledge to resolve more pressing matters. Still is a nice start IMO.

I like the conspiracy stuff and all, but sometimes when I read articles like this one and specially the comment at the end of the article by Professor Leonhardt, it makes me realize how far are we to accomplish more revolutionizing discoveries as a race. It seems to me that we are now taking baby steps, after 100 years of non-stop ground breaking advances.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This isn't news just because it's news to scientific circles. If I'm not mistaken (although I could be as I usually am
) Hutchison discovered this ages ago. No one wants to listen to him though.
You know, he's a frizzy, long haired kinda' hippie-looking guy. Einstein was too (sans hippie), and it took decades before they realized just how right he was.

[edit on 8/7/2007 by pjslug]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex

by manipulating so-called Casimir force, which normally causes objects to stick together by quantum force.

I thought that was something to do with so called zero point or vacuum energy?

Anyway, good find.

The Casimir effect does prove the existence of ZPE (zero point energy), the experiment illustrates the Casimir forces by shielding a region using plates so that the force inside is weaker than outside and the plates attract. Or something like this I remember. So we have known about ZPE for a while, just not enough to make any useful application out of it. This changes things.

Lets see if this is the next quantum leap in contemporary applied science. Would be a little cautious to not get my hopes too high as the demonstrable effects have been on the nano scale, the rest is speculation so far.

Also interesting is the fact that this is the same team that also published about cloaking/invisibility. Could they be getting help from "other" sources?

Just speculation on my part, not to take away credit from these scientists.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
This isn't news just because it's news to scientific circles. If I'm not mistaken (although I could be as I usually am
) Hutchison discovered this ages ago. No one wants to listen to him though.
You know, he's a frizzy, long haired kinda' hippie-looking guy. Einstein was too (sans hippie), and it took decades before they realized just how right he was.

[edit on 8/7/2007 by pjslug]

Ha, come on... Hutchison lost all credibility when he was sprung using a 'wire' to make one of his objects float - with his own footage. A small fact he overlooked before releasing it.

External Link to footage of his 'string craft'

And frankly, his explanation is a laugh.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Ha, come on... Hutchison lost all credibility when he was sprung using a 'wire' to make one of his objects float - with his own footage. A small fact he overlooked before releasing it.

External Link to footage of his 'string craft'

And frankly, his explanation is a laugh.

That is hilarious

But its obviously a parody or a joke. I don't see Hutchison there, nor hear his voice. Looks like someone made it up. If you have some real proof that this clip belongs to him, I'd be most interested. (such as if its posted on his own website etc)

Sorry for OT. The news about Casimir force reversal is great. I posted this sometime back in Sci tech section.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
John Hutchison is a fraud, a compulsive liar and a con-man.
Hutchison has never been able to duplicate his results in a controled environment.

socialtech.ca...
www.skywise711.com...
actionskeptics.blogspot.com...
forums.randi.org...

These people can do the "Hutchison Effect" too:

www.youtube.com...
www.trailerparkscience.com...
youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Link broken repost you did something wrong.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
well well,quite interesting.

one wonders if its possible to apply this force over a large,lightweight, thin body,and in space use this method to apply upon it a repulsive thus propulsive force?.it would be slow at first but i assume it would continiously and indefinetly pick up speed.

hmmm this force could also be used to revolve an object,say a rod/cylindrical shaped mass which only uses this repulsive force on one half,thus it would revolve and pick up speed indefinitly...is that free energy anyone!?,matyas!?.

top topics

join