It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unicorns, not so mythical?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
i think we have conclusively proven that the unicorn did not come from america...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Narwhal's are thought to be one of the possible sources of the Unicorn Myth.

Perhaps as these were being brought back to Europe by traders and explorers some may have been attached to the head piece of the Armour worn by horses in battle. It would be an effective tool of terror, if you will, to intimidate the enemy. Imagine facing a mounted enemy on a stead with a 6 to 9 foot horn growing out of its head!

Do a little searching and you will find that Narwhal Ivory Tusks (actually teeth) have been traded for centuries.

If this is in fact the source of the Myth. Then the Unicorns Horn did in fact come from America

[edit on 8/2/2007 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Narwhal's are thought to be one of the possible sources of the Unicorn Myth.

Perhaps as these were being brought back to Europe by traders and explorers some may have been attached to the head piece of the Armour worn by horses in battle. It would be an effective tool of terror, if you will, to intimidate the enemy. Imaging facing a mounted enemy on a stead with a 6 to 9 foot horn growing out of its head!

Do a little searching and you will find that Narwhal Ivory Tusks (actually teeth) have been traded for centuries.

If this is in fact the source of the Myth. Then the Unicorns Horn did in fact come from America

Good point!! I think that's the most belieavable explanation.

Btw have you read anything about what you wrote? Or is that just your guess?^^

[edit on 2-8-2007 by ZikhaN]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I think its a legend grown old and theres no evidence ever been discovered in our own back yards and now its some how a little girl fantasy? (wow) this world is crazy

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Let me share this......

In high school, I had a class called "Creative Minds"
The teacher of that class was IMHO the most down-to-earth person I have ever met. The class was about thinking "outside the box". We did things such as dowsing, reading auras, becoming more aware of "self" ect. Let me first say that this man was in no way a liar, or had any intentions of deceiving people. This man was what I would consider genuine and kind hearted. You could just feel the energy surrounding him, it was all positive.

Ok, to the point......

Some friends and I were doing a after school project for an unrelated class. When we finished we descided to check out the Creative Minds classroom to see if our beloved teacher was still there grading papers or whatnot. On this day we were lucky enough to find him in his classroom reviewing some essay's another class has written. We interrupted him, and politely asked him to "hang out" as he was considered a Guru of sorts, and always had something interesting to say. I never told my friends but I just liked being in his presence, as it was electric. He pushed his work aside and glady had us sit down to chat with him.

For some reason the topic came up about unicorn's, and he described a very vivid personal experience that I can clearly remember to this day(7 years later)

Here is what he said to us, in private....

One morning, about 5:00AM, him and his wife were enjoying some breakfast in their sucluded house on the outskirts of Mount Mansfield in Vermont. He said their house was on about 30 acres of land and most of which was apple orchards. He was looking out the window facing the back yard when he saw........A white UNICORN!!!!!!!

I know I know, your feaking kidding me right? A unicorn???

I am 100% certain that this man was telling us what he saw that morning.

In the slight fog of the morning @ around 5AM he saw the figure of a horse and the outline of a horn on its head. He motioned for his wife to come and look at this astonishing sight. He said she was stunned to see the same thing he did. As they were watching this mystical creature, he said it moved slightly and he could see that there were actually two Unicorns in his apple orchard eating fallen apples on the ground. He said that in no way was this an optical illusion as they could clearly make out the horns on these horses heads. They just sat there and observed these creatures for about 5 mins before they simply walked away.

We were like "WHAT?" "NO WAY!!!!" naturally, as these were considerd mythical beasts, which means MADE UP. And here him and his wife were looking at the impossible.

I didnt know what to make of his story but one thing is for sure, He did see what he told us about, and there is no way this incredible man was lieing to us. He also said he as never told anyone about this up until that point. We felt honored and completely weirded out.

Just wanted to share my story.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
there are more pressing topics to speak about then children's fairy tales. This is one of the reason the majority of the topics here do not receive the credibility you would like.

Sorry ladies and gents truth hurts.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Syntaxstealth
there are more pressing topics to speak about then children's fairy tales. This is one of the reason the majority of the topics here do not receive the credibility you would like.

Im sorry Mr. Allknowing.......
Just because you don't believe in such things, DOES NOT make it so. Open your mind and you will dscover the world is full of the unimaginable and the impossible. Dispite the fact you don't believe in "Fairy Tales."

Im glad we have you to tell us the TRUTH of the world
Thanks

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Why must everything be about the government and terrorism? Its nice to see people thinking outside the box, presenting something other than fear mongering to discuss. Is it really that far fetched to believe unicorns COULD have existed at some point in the billions of years of evolution? Hardly. Yes, this is mere speculation, but it isn't that hard to imagine that the unicorn predated the horse, and eventually lost its need for the horn and thats what we have today. The point of evolution is things EVOLVING, horses probably weren't what we see today when the first came into existence.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Outside the box but inside the nut house. Terrorism, UFOs, a US tragedy etc.. These are all forums with great value. Where people can speak and voice opinions on current events. after all the title is "Above Top Secret".

I just don't think the subject has any real value. sorry

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Forums/topics.

but anyway the topic did catch my interest until i read the first 3 posts. then it kind of died quick.

Unicorns
Unicorn History

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
No disrespect man,
Why are you posting on this thread if you dont think its worthy? We could use less negativity and more thoughts that are outside mainstream thinking. If you do not like the topic of a thread, SIMPLY move along.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Outside the box but inside the nut house. Terrorism, UFOs, a US tragedy etc.. These are all forums with great value. Where people can speak and voice opinions on current events. after all the title is "Above Top Secret".

I just don't think the subject has any real value. sorry

Life would be pretty dull if those were the only topics we were allowed to discuss. Ever heard the saying, "One man's trash another man's treasure?" Beauty, value, etc is in the eyes of the beholder. This may not have any interest/value to you, then move on, there is no need to come in here and state that this has no "real" value, and that only crazy people would discuss such things.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
freedom of speech my friend. (while i still have it)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Can we get back to the topic at hand? Minus the negative input.
Im sure the OP doesnt want this a debate over the "value" of a thread. If the OP wanted a thread as such, he/she would have titled the thread "What are worthy topics to discuss on ATS?" This topic is about Unicorns and if there is any evidence surrounding the phenomenon.

I sure a MOD will agree with me when saything this.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Life would be pretty dull if those were the only topics we were allowed to discuss. Ever heard the saying, "One man's trash another man's treasure?" Beauty, value, etc is in the eyes of the beholder. This may not have any interest/value to you, then move on, there is no need to come in here and state that this has no "real" value, and that only crazy people would discuss such things.

What would a therapist say? to avoid further confrontation i will leave thanks for the feed back folks

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Rare video of actual unicorns. Wow.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZikhaN

Btw have you read anything about what you wrote? Or is that just your guess?^^

[edit on 2-8-2007 by ZikhaN]

Just a guess based on a piece of horse armour I've seen years ago. Don't know for sure. I have read elsewhere the idea of the Narwhal horn playing a part.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
Let me share this...
Ok, to the point......

For some reason the topic came up about unicorn's, and he described a very vivid personal experience that I can clearly remember to this day(7 years later)

Here is what he said to us, in private....

One morning, about 5:00AM, him and his wife were enjoying some breakfast in their sucluded house on the outskirts of Mount Mansfield in Vermont. He said their house was on about 30 acres of land and most of which was apple orchards. He was looking out the window facing the back yard when he saw........A white UNICORN!!!!!!!

I know I know, your feaking kidding me right? A unicorn???

I am 100% certain that this man was telling us what he saw that morni

We were like "WHAT?" "NO WAY!!!!" naturally, as these were considerd mythical beasts, which means MADE UP. And here him and his wife were looking at the impossible.

I didnt know what to make of his story but one thing is for sure, He did see what he told us about, and there is no way this incredible man was lieing to us. He also said he as never told anyone about this up until that point. We felt honored and completely weirded out.

Just wanted to share my story.

thefatlady replies:

Sorry I don't know how to use only part of a quote. Who cares if it's true or not ? what an incredible story! Wonder if there are caves in the area where a reclusive animal (unicorn) could hide? Also : response to the comment on dragons: to my knowledge there are still two populations in very remote areas. They are of the pteradactyl family and vomit up or poop out a phosphorescent substance that is very very Base---worse than lye---burn the crap out of you if you rile them, like death in minutes, (if you're lucky!). They also have an incredibly keen sense of smell and may be somewhat telepathic. Should you disturb their nesting grounds or fail to follow strictist safety procedures to avoid ticking them off, they will track the offender for weeks and many miles. My friends' tent had 3ft holes burnt in it, ( the two of them had taken refuge elsewhere). They're very beautiful but you'll never see them as a zoo animal, even if we could stabilize the population and preserve them from extinction.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
What if the unicorn wasn't a precursor to the horse, but was more deer like? We have in present day elk, moose, deer, pronghorns, and caribou. All have horns, granted they have two.

Or there are tales of goats with mutations that make the horns grow together.

Or possibly even the sight of a rhinoceros to people from a foreign land. Tales grow from innocent beginnings.

My only problem with the unicorn legends is, where's the skeletal remains? Surely not all were hunted. Especially if they were, wouldn't there be skulls found? Some sort of proof.

I have to believe that maybe it was a combination of things. Travelers heard tales of this one-horned beast. Maybe originally it was a herd of deformed goats. As others traveled, they mistook rhinoceros's. As there aren't many animals with only one horn, you could see where mistakes could be made.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thefatlady
Sorry I don't know how to use only part of a quote. Who cares if it's true or not ? what an incredible story! Wonder if there are caves in the area where a reclusive animal (unicorn) could hide?

Thanks for taking interest to my story. Although I wish this actually happened to me! This man told us the truth. There is no much more I can say to make people believe something 2nd hand. He saw what he saw, he trusted us to not make a fool of him by telling eveyone. This thread is the only mention of this account since I heard it 7 years ago. I know... I know...........You feel lucky!

Thanks mystical believers.

PS.
Did I see dragons? You mentioned dragon colonies still existing? That is way far out!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join