Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Unicorns, not so mythical?

page: 1
2
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Why is it so hard to believe that horse's with horns existed at a time?
We have rhinos with horns, we even have lizard with horns, personally i dont think its that much of a leap to say that at a darker, more dangerous time, in the past, that there was horses's with horns. Its a natural defence mechanism and as the other thread said even some antalope were known to have them.

What are your oppinions?




posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
There are some tapestries in the cloisters museum in Newyork that depict the hunt for the last unicorn and its eventual death after capture. There is alot of legend behind them but there is no reason a genetic variant of a hoarse exists or existed somewhere. I totally think that there is a very special zoo some where in the world that holds living creatures presumed extinct. I would love to see a dragon.....



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I aggree,
While we may only have so much space up here, however monitered,
we are on a Planet god knows what people with enough money have
built below our feet.



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
maybe they were hunting a deformed deer? its entirely possible that they still exist to this day. let it be known that if unicorns do still exist, then unicorns are infact ninjas!

but then again, the people who scoff at creatures like unicorns are usually the same people who think that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe, if this is true then surely they should be saying "there is NO intelligent life...anywhere"



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZGhorus
maybe they were hunting a deformed deer? its entirely possible that they still exist to this day. let it be known that if unicorns do still exist, then unicorns are infact ninjas!

but then again, the people who scoff at creatures like unicorns are usually the same people who think that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe, if this is true then surely they should be saying "there is NO intelligent life...anywhere"


100% aggreed




posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
While it sounds like a great plan, horses don't need defense b/c they run crazy fast. They aren't usually eaten either considering we don't have wild tigers in America. They have always been field grazing animals too so they aren't hunters. Rhinos are extremely viscous thats why they have horns. If they ever did its doubtful they evolved so far from it since humans have been around
. but its nice to dream!



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
but you do have cyotes, wolves, cougars, bears so on so forth a myriad of carniverous animals and who exactly said that the unicorns were native to america...look at an atlas...see all those little land coloured blobs that arent america?...THEY ARE REAL!!!...i know...who knew...



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I dont think horses are native to the USA...they were introduced by europeans.



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
My question is, why aren't they called "UNIHORNS"?



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
latin i think...uni = one corn= horn...not very imaginitive these latin chaps were they?



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
you guys like to talk a lot of crap when it comes to nit picking out my ecological errors.. wanna know why you get no applause for that crap? because your missing the subject of this forum. did unicorns exist? tell me then since your both geological doctrines, where did horses originate from?



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
ooze, dpending on how far back you wanna go. as far as i'm aware the native americans or...indians...used to ride horses and they were there long before they'r white colonial oppressors turned up to kick them in the johnny rotten! so there may well have been horses in america...but what you said is..."we dont have tigers in america" insinuating that unicorns, if they did exist, were from america and thus didnt exist because they wouldnt have needed a horn cuz there was nothing to hunt them...phew...

how about sabre toothed tigers? they were found in northern america, maybe when the tigers stopped being in america the horses dropped the horn...didnt need it...buh bye...

all we can really do is speculate until i finish that pesky time machine!



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Horses existed in North America a long time ago, but went extinct about 9,000 years ago, likely hunted to extinction like many other North American mammals. When the Spanish arrived in the alte 1400s, they brought horses with them. Some escaped, became wild, and were domesticated by the Indians. So by the time the European settlers reached the west, there was a horse culture. But the Europeans (re)introduced horses to North America.

See here for a brief overview.



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Its pretty well known that the entire unicorn myth is based on the narwhale. Hoaxers could earn alot by selling that big tooth of theirs to idiots.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by merka]



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
you guys like to talk a lot of crap when it comes to nit picking out my ecological errors.. wanna know why you get no applause for that crap? because your missing the subject of this forum. did unicorns exist? tell me then since your both geological doctrines, where did horses originate from?


I dont see any crap being talked here.
Also that isnt the point of this, it is to discuss the idea of unicorns possibly
just being past horse's with an adaptation, and anything of the sort.

Try not to be a grouch.
Nobodys going to want to talk to you aha.
And come one, this is the internet, is there really a point to hostility? xD

Oh nooo 1's and 0's are gonna hurt meee.



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
true, but a few hundred years ago it was pretty well known that the world was flat!!!



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZGhorus
but you do have cyotes, wolves, cougars, bears so on so forth a myriad of carniverous animals and who exactly said that the unicorns were native to america...look at an atlas...see all those little land coloured blobs that arent america?...THEY ARE REAL!!!...i know...who knew...


I don't have any new info but I just wanted to say that this is the funniest post I've seen! Hilarious... "i know...who knew"



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Originally posted by ZGhorus
true, but a few hundred years ago it was pretty well known that the world was flat!!!

"since the eighth century, no cosmographer worthy of note has called into question the sphericity of the Earth."


"The common misconception that people before the age of exploration believed that Earth was flat entered the popular imagination after Washington Irving's publication of The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus in 1828."


Gotta nip these myths in the bud


[edit on 8-2-2007 by Esoterica]



i stand corrected...and i even stood up so i could say that honestly. of course, your average serf wasnt a cosmographer was he/she?

whether you are laughing at me or with me darkheart...thank you


[edit on 2-8-2007 by ZGhorus]



posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Horses existed in North America a long time ago, but went extinct about 9,000 years ago, likely hunted to extinction like many other North American mammals. When the Spanish arrived in the alte 1400s, they brought horses with them. Some escaped, became wild, and were domesticated by the Indians. So by the time the European settlers reached the west, there was a horse culture. But the Europeans (re)introduced horses to North America.

See here for a brief overview.


Horses were brought over by Cortez and the Spanish Conquistadores to Mexico. The Aztecs thought they were men with deer bodies because they had never seen horses before....it's true..who knew..
anyway we learned about it in world history last year.

edited for spelling...what else

[edit on 2-8-2007 by darkheartrising]





new topics

top topics



 
2
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join