It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garden Fresh Homemade Garlic Dill Pickles [UPDATED]

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I should be able to experiment with a couple of quarts of OKRA pickles, (as long as the plants I have produce.

I will be using this recipe and a little more heat from some spicy peppers.
I always enjoyed the okra pickles (spicy variety), they are hard to find round here though

What else can I pickle?

young squash & zucchini? I am swimming in those, harvested about 35 lbs today , and I still am behind in blanching and freezing the ones I already had.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I decided I didn't want to wait until my cukes came in, so I bought some pickling cucumbers at the store today. Your recipe was very easy! I can't wait until they are ready to eat.

I haven't canned anything in probably 15 yrs and I thought I knew what I was doing...lol. I had to reread your recipe and then check the internet to make sure I was doing it right. For some reason, I was thinking about when I made jelly, and I don't think I put the rings on, and I couldn't remember submersing the entire jar under water. I also remember putting the jars upside down when they came out of the water bath.

And....... I didn't sterilize the jars.
I washed them out good, but I totally am bad for skimming recipes because I think I know what I'm doing..................wrong! lol

I hope they seal ok. You don't have to keep the unopened ones in the fridge, do you?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the recipe, they turned out incredible! We waited two days and then dived in! They were a tad salty so we diluted with a bit of water and Wow! Now all the cucumbers and banana peppers from our garden are headed for the quart jars! My Mom called as we were canning them and said to keep some for her, as well as the green tomato chow chow we made (it's great with catfish). We're having a blast canning the goods from the garden and your recipe is up front and center on our fridge door for all time,

Thanks again!

STM

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I will be expecting a jar of those soon 12m8keall2c. Those sound delish. BTW the rasberry jelly is awesome.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I left the pickles out on the counter last night to cool and this morning, all of them had sealed. I'm still a bit worried that I didn't sterilize the jar beforehand, but I do know that they were washed in really hot water. So hot I could barely stand it.

I'm going to make more soon. At least I know for sure how to do it next time. Thanks for the recipe.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

AWESOME! i wouldn't be too worried about the sterilization deal, you will probably devour the first 2 quarts before anything bad could happen

I plan on making a 6 quart batch later this week.

(I should've planted more dill, that's holding me up, I don't want to kill the plants I have whipping up these delicious picklesso I am being careful to leave enough for new growth.)

ed:sp

[edit on 7/8/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I planted dill last year, and this year it has tripled in size. I'm afraid it is going to take over.

I've got the same problem as you only with catnip. I planted 4 plants this year, and the cats got to it and ate every single leaf off all 4 plants. Only one barely survived. I have to keep the cats away from it, or else it won't make it.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by virraszto]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I had to open one jar last night because I was dying to taste them. They were GREAT and So CRUNCHY...just like I like 'em. My kids loved them too.

I'll be making another batch of these for sure!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
YES!! Six new quarts of the pickles chillin on the counter

Instead of heating up the house, I decided to see if I could utilize my abandoned gas grill (switched back to charcoal), and it works perfectly

While they were on the grill, I took a couple of pics to share..

Backyard deck plants, romaine lettuce, asparagus, strawberries, beans, peppers & tomatoes.

Cherry tomatos coming soon!!

IF you haven't already, please invest some time into growing your own produce soon, my first year doing it and it has been a very rewarding project.

Today's harvest from the main garden, can you guess what's in this?

The latest batch of pickles pulled from the canner and cooling off, notice the crinkled lids on some
, I will get the hang of it soon I hope...

The neighbors are gonna love these!!

Thanks again 12m8keall2c for sharing this recipe

[edit on 7/9/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm gonna give this recipe a shot. MY favorite pickles are the Sabra spicy pickles. Any advice on how to make a spicy pickle?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

I have some cayenne's that I am going to toss into the mix once they get ripe, I guess it depends on how HOT
you like it.

Experiment

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

JaK,

Don't worry about the occasional "creased" lids. I've typically had 1 or 3 in most every batch that I've made.

Me? It's just makes it that much easier to determine which ones get eaten first.

I'm glad So many seem to being enjoiyng these, as they should.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Ok I will be back, my favorites, cukes and garlic!

Still growing, so soon, youll have to walk me throught he process, but I will save the op to favorites to have handy in a couple of weeks when I have tonnes of cukes ready.

Do you ever do sweet pickles too? I love those baby sweet pickles, would love to make some!

Also I have both Boston pickling pickles and cukes growing, is there a difference on how they pickle up?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

These I am for sure gonna try. Im a garlic freak!
I tried canning pickes one year and after months on the shelve they became very soft almost to mushy. I went exactly by the directions on the pack of pickling mix I bought but they still turned out this way. I don't know what I did wrong but I didn't bother making them anymore because of this.

But I love pickles and wanted to give it another shot this year. And these sound yummy. Do you have any idea why mine would have turned out this way?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
When I read the title of this thread, I got that really bad ache in the back of my jaws!

This sounds delicious! Thanks!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Experiment Time

Spicy onion,Garlic dill variety

AHHhhahaaahhaaaaa!

Omitted the peppercorns and pepper in original recipe.

Added 2 whole cayennes [finely chopped]

1 qtr white onion [diced]

3 quarts done

Will report back in a week with the taste test.

I love pickles!!!!

soon to come: Okra pickles.

this is too much fun

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

one year later...

Never got the okra batch going, but have managed to make 12 qts of these delicious pickles so far this season...

The cayenne peppered version has just the right kick

I ran out of cukes for one quart and substitued some fresh zucchini to see how they come out, we shall see in a couple of weeks

If you like pickles, and have the capabilities to make your own, I would highly suggest it, it's easy and also something you can tweak to your own tastes..

Which is nice

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
MMM those are my favorite! Sounds like I need to go to the store this weekend and make some.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Hi ya 12m8keall2c!

Appreciate this thread so much...I started a late garden this year and have cucumbers just now popping up (but I have LOTS that are popping up) and was a little scared of what to do with them. I had yet to look up any recipes for pickles *smiles* you saved the day. Cant wait to try this out!! Making me excited!

I saw you mentioned something about watermelon? I have tons of those too....if you want to further detail what to do with those? DO you use the watermelon in the picklen or did I misunderstand?

I have some cayenne growing too so I am going to try one jar of the spice pickles that the above poster mentioned.

Thanks to all for the great info!

LV

[edit on 30-6-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this year's offerings ...

slight change in the recipe

this year we used about half to 2/3 the amount of salt from the 'original recipe' ... i use a coarse-ground kosher ... and you just have to knock it down to about a half to two-thirds, else they're a bit too 'salty'.

also:
we didn't grow any banana peppers this year, so we used a single sun-ripened habanero instead ... not sliced or chopped ... just pierced the sides a few times to allow all the different flavors to 'convect' throughout.

oh ... and instead of whole black peppercorns, we ran the same through a food processor ... to the consistency of very coarse cracked pepper.

they be bang'in good

edit on 8/10/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join