update post: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I love them, and usually cold-pack about a dozen or so quarts every year ... using nothing but garden fresh ingredients. The typical response from
family and friends has been that Vlassic's don't hold a candle to these.
Here's the recipe:
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Approx. 6-7 fresh pickling cucumbers (quartered or sliced)
- Fresh dill - chopped (1-2 heads per jar)
- Fresh garlic - peeled, chopped (4-6 cloves per jar)
- Banana or green chile pepper - chopped (1 per jar)
- Black peppercorns (12 per jar)
Makes approx. 3 quarts.
* of course you can also buy the ingredients from your local market ... I just prefer using garden-fresh veges and herbs.
- Stir together the salt, vinegar and water until the salt is dissolved. Set aside.
- Tightly pack 1qt. wide-mouth jars with cucumbers.
- Wedge garlic, dill, peppers and peppercorns between cucumbers.
- Pour brine mixture into jar, leaving 1/4" space at the top.
- Cover with lids and firmly tighten the rings.
- Place jars upright into a large pot or canner.
- Fill the pot or canner with water to cover jars. Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
*If using a canner simply lift the rack out and place on counter to cool. If using a large pot, remove the pot from the stove and place it into the
sink. Slowly run cool water into the pot until the jars have cooled to the point that you can lift them out. Be careful with the cool water so as not
to crack the hot jars.
When the jars have cooled, place them into the refrigerator or in a cool dry place. Pickles are ready to eat in 24-48 hours. Me? I like to let them
"set" for at least a week, if only to allow All ingredients to mingle
All in all, it should look something like this:
Slice and Chop:
Pack into jars and submerse in pot or canner:
Remove from water, wipe jars and allow to cool:
If you like garlic dills, you'll love these.
[edit on 1-8-2007 by 12m8keall2c]
edit on 8/10/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)
edit on 4/11/2012 by 12m8keall2c
because: updated image links