It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith-based toys to hit US stores

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Faith-based toys to hit US stores

news.bbc.co.uk

Instead of Spiderman or Bratz dolls, children in the US could soon be clutching a talking Jesus toy, a bearded Moses or a muscle-bound figure of Goliath.

From the middle of August, Wal-Mart, the biggest toy retailer in the US, will for the first time stock a full line of faith-based toys.

The Bible-based action figures will initially be given two feet of shelf space in 425 of the company's 3,300 stores nationwide.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/30/07 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This seems a tad bizarre to me.
Is this promoting religion and the bible?
or does it cheapen it?

In my view, this cheapens peoples faith - what next? a talking mohammed doll, calling for jihad?
A talking pope, condemning contraception?

If you want to raise your children in a particular faith, then why not do it the old fashioned way - church and scripture classes.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Nothing new really. Do you remember the Toys for Tots controversy from this last Christmas? It was centered around a talking Jesus doll.

what next? a talking mohammed doll, calling for jihad?

How about a religious holiday that sucks children in by promising them new toys?....Christmas. See, there really is nothing new under the sun.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
hmmm - how can they do this when one of them 10 commandments specifically states that they NOT make idols of anything (or worship false ones).

well, most of the other 9 have been disregarded also so i guess they are not important anymore.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

How about a religious holiday that sucks children in by promising them new toys?....Christmas. See, there really is nothing new under the sun.

good point, but that's only in recent years, same as the "traditional turkey" - it always used to be goose or duck, and gifts were exchanged rather than just given.
Which is all a bit of a moot point anyway when you consider that it's a pagan festival that christianity grabbed for it's own purpose.
Same as the sabbath was moved for socio-economic reasons - there are now hundreds of millions of people who believe sunday is the sabbath.

But I digress - the cheapening and money grabbing won't stop until people stop it themselves by refusing to buy into such a ridiculous idea.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Why is this an issue? If they want to stock religious toys, they can stock them. Either they'll sell and keep the shelf space or they'll bomb and go away. Either way...who cares?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
*shrugs* anything for a buck these days.

Look at it this way, its yet another gift from some out of touch relative that will have you in line on the 26th itiching for store credit.

Reminds me of a Simpsons episode:

'Billy Graham's Bible Blaster" where you blast heathens to convert them.

Bart: I got him
Tod: No, you just winged him and made him a unitarian." " Second coming, reload, reload! ...

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Oh man, now I'm just picturing some little kid having Jesus walking around naked with Barbie.....LOL!

Yup, definitely cheapens it, doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So, will there be a Jesus Crucifixion set, where you can nail the guy on a cross with tiny nails? An Abraham and Isaac set with a knife and altar? Perhaps a Stone the Adulteress playset?

I like to shop at Wal-Mart but I may have to take my business to the slightly more expensive Target once this happens.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It seems to me that anyone who is making money by marketing Christianity is about as far from being a true Christian as one could possibly get. According to the bible, Jesus encourged the rich to give away their possessions and money. There was also a scene where he got quite upset at a market and money-changers who had set up shop within a synagogue. Yet here, 2000 years later, hypocrites who claim to be his followers conveniently ignore his instructions just so they can cash in.

Yay religion!

People will beleive whatever they want. That's probably why there's so many denominations...any time there's a disagreement, go start a new church.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
In my view, this cheapens peoples faith - what next? a talking mohammed doll, calling for jihad?

Well, considering that religion has been used to justify the worst atrocities throughout human history, maybe Wal Mart should stock them right next to the toy guns & military vehicles...

Originally posted by closettrekkie
Oh man, now I'm just picturing some little kid having Jesus walking around naked with Barbie.....LOL!

I can see the "religious right" in an uproar if they make Jesus...How shall I say it?...Anatomically correct.

They'd argue that it would be "cheapening" morals, as well!

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Well, considering that religion has been used to justify the worst atrocities throughout human history, maybe Wal Mart should stock them right next to the toy guns & military vehicles...

That's hardly the fault of the religion though - more mans use of it for his own ends.

I doubt if moses ever envisioned a burning bush toy (health and safety issue there though) or
NEW - PARTING THE SEA TOY - WATER ACTUALLY PARTS!!!!!
Does this diminution of religious miracles affect peoples faith?

The problem is one of perception - how people perceive their religion, and how they react to this marketing of faith.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You mean I get to nail him to a cross again and again?!

I'm getting one! Does he bleed? Oooh... they should make one that bleeds.

Do I get to have a roman soldier who whips him too?

How about moses hiding behind a rock, giggling to himself while writing the ten commandments?

See how quickly such a "good" thing turns into a joke?

Oh well... let them have it, at least theres been an influx of scientific toys over the years.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I donno..my irreverant son has a Nunzilla and a Buddy Christ. I put some Jesus band-aids in his stocking last Christmas...y'all saying this is good or bad?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
To me, it's bad, and cheapens and demeans a persons faith.

At the same time though, I'm not trying to tell people what to do - after all, I'm not a priest/vicar/iman

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
These have to be better than Televangelists, at least you are getting something for your money. When things like this are concerned, I'm a big fan of the "Free Market". If they sell, they will stay. If they don't, they won't last very long.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Who cares? Why does this bother people?
It's whining, complaining people that create the controversy, not the toy itself.
...and it's a toy, not a statue to be worshiped. If religious toys offend you, that's your problem.......

[edit on 30-7-2007 by rocknroll]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I hope they make a "Turning water into wine" play set, i'd definately buy some of them!

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There's no reason we can't make our own playsets, if the manufacturer is too tame. I made a Satan's Bride Barbie once, and Goth Barbie. I used lots of electrical tape.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
How about a "Mary Magdalene blow up doll" for all the adults.

Was going to go on about "Raising Lazarus" and "Feeding the 5,000" but....

<<   2  3  4 >>

join