It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith-based toys to hit US stores

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I can just imagine some little kid walking around with naked Barbie in one hand and Jesus in the other hand making them do weird things. :shk:

[edit on 30-7-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It baffles me how the same stores that changed all of their Christmas slogans to "Happy Holidays" to avoid offending people can sell an entire line of Bible-inspired toys.

Much better to let your kid make their Bible action figures kill each other than GI Joes.

The 'Buddy Christ' action figures are already better than anything they'll be able to put together though. That thing is like The Fonz of religious action figures. "Eyyyyy."

I would only consider buying one if Todd MacFarlane made it

[edit on 7/30/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Hmm i wonder if the Jesus action figure comes with kung fu grip and 12 action phrases.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
It baffles me how the same stores that changed all of their Christmas slogans to "Happy Holidays" to avoid offending people can sell an entire line of Bible-inspired toys.

Much better to let your kid make their Bible action figures kill each other than GI Joes.

Yup, why bother about offending your own citizens - concentrate on not offending minorities instead.

A few years ago, Birmingham city council wanted to change christmas to "winter festival" to avoid offending non christians, councils deny people the right to fly the cross of st. george because they see it as racist - makes my blood boil

Now this - if you're going to have christian toys, have them for every other religion too.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Bud, the publication of a simple cartoon causes outrage in certain communities so imagine the reaction to a doll of him, I suspect any manufacturer would be the subject of a fatwa and we would see the customary protests and flag burning exercises.

Please don't start me on displaying St.George's cross or even the Union flag.
England, the only country where any celebration of our history, heritage or culture is actively discouraged and at times deemed racist.

WTF we stand for it is absolutely beyond me.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Eh, I was going got gripe, but then I realized that there were Egyptian God Beanie Babies long before this. I'm puttin' $10 on Aunbis (the celestial lawyer) to take 'em all down.

Plus, he's got Action Bast to help him out. And with the Right Eye of Ra action, how can you go wrong?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Eh, I was going got gripe, but then I realized that there were Egyptian God Beanie Babies long before this. I'm puttin' $10 on Aunbis (the celestial lawyer) to take 'em all down.

Plus, he's got Action Bast to help him out. And with the Right Eye of Ra action, how can you go wrong?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
On the whole idea, I think just let them produce the toys. I'm no christian, but if people want to produce toys of biblical characters then do so. I have a Jesus action figue, simply because it made me laugh that there was one and I bought it on impulse. My friends share my amusement.

However if they start to have "catch-phrases" I think that where I would draw the line. If a child isnt responsible until it comes of age (whatever country your in) I dont think it is fair to give them toys that can affect them. That's a really borad statement I know and hard to defend but as with all cases such as these a line needs to be drawn, but where that line goes it individually different.

To make things easy you could just ban the religious toys, however I don't think that would solve anything. My personal opinion should be that they should be reviewed by an NGO or something before release. I know it could be naive in trusting them but its my only solution.

Again you could qualify it by saying they cant have sounds or catchphrases, however, to my mind that just sounds petty making a decision like that.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I can't wait until the atheist action figures comes out. All you get is an empty box.

Maybe they will have a Scientology set too. For the low price of 50 dollars you get a tom cruise doll. Comes with Oprah's couch and springs in its legs so you can have hours of fun jumping on the couch.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by spinstopshere]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
some funny responses.

However, I feel that there is nothing wrong with this idea. It will be a good way for those of faith to pass the faith on to their children to fit right alongside the pop up religious books and things of that nature.

Good idea.

And this from an atheist? I should be ashamed of myself.

Jasn

EDIT: Missing letter haha.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Pah.

Wait until they release the authentic "Last Supper" playset and it has to be removed from the shelves because the wine isn't fit for human consumption.

And can you imagine kids fighting in the playgrounds whilst trying to collect all of the limited edition 30 pieces of silver, each with its own unique biblical character engraved into the back?

How about "Sinemon" (Gotta pray for them all)

The real kicker will be the Adam and Eve Garden set, complete with detachable rib and lifelike bendy snake.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Seems kinda disrespectful to me, but whatever floats your boat. If that's what the little rugrats want, who'm I to say otherwise. My prediction is that it'll fall flat.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
MajorMalfunction I like the idea of a crucifixion set, but how about a pregnant Mary with a removable baby Jesus.

I say let them have all the toys they want, after all this is America the land of the capitalism and everybody have the right to make a buck like Fred said.

Hum, I wonder if I should get in the boat of faith base toy making and take advantage now that is hitting the markets.

Remember people, is all about the money, nothing about religion or faith but just good old money making.

Will they be made in China?

[edit on 31-7-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think I'm going to wait for the Jesus vs Satan rockem sockem robots.

If its not that it have to be the passion of the christ action figure.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
someone is going to make a video of jesus railing barbie and beating up a ken doll and all that, stick it on youtube and someone will get offended, cry, sue, and it will all be over...

something to that effect

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well, looked at the article and the toys frankly look rubbish. Apart from Goliath and Samson but that's simply since they look quite fun and He-Man like!

If I were to predict the future, I'd say that someone is going to be making alot of toys that don't sell. Let's face it, children would go bananas if they got Moses for their birthday instead of Optimus-Prime!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
someone is going to make a video of jesus railing barbie and beating up a ken doll and all that

Throw in a couple of Star Wars Storm-Troopers and Ewoks and it sounds like a pretty good night in!

Just trying to think what the backing music would be.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The really bad thing is that these so-called "toys" are probably manufactured in a nation that condemns the right to religion and is finding another way to capitalize on the U.S. citizen.

I call for a boycott to anything made in China.

If we, the American people, can't make it, then we don't need it.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

If we, the American people, can't make it, then we don't need it.

lol, you mean like enough softwood lumber, natural fresh water, and oil for everyone? You guys don't need that stuff? Cause you're buying it in billions from Canada. lol.

Trust me, the US doesn't have the ability to be self sufficient. What would you export?

[edit on 31-7-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
I donno..my irreverant son has a Nunzilla and a Buddy Christ. I put some Jesus band-aids in his stocking last Christmas...y'all saying this is good or bad?

I'm assuming you're kidding, right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join