It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican activist attempts to burn American Flag-key word "attempts"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
i am simply arguing this cause i think it is asinine that the patriots want to kick some butt or take some property cause someone is using their right to speak.....

Actually I thought his analogy was referring to the New England Patriots fans mouthing off in an opposing stadium.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Again, refer back to my statement about liberals and their political correctness garbage...

I have hardly made enough posts here for you to get ANY kind of idea of my beliefs or "liberalness." And if you are saying that standing up for a right is being PC, then I guess everyone is full of PC garbage these days.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Anywho, obviously none of you are going to change my mind on this issue.. So, I will not refer back to this thread.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
I have hardly made enough posts here for you to get ANY kind of idea of my beliefs or "liberalness." And if you are saying that standing up for a right is being PC, then I guess everyone is full of PC garbage these days.

No, I am saying that you all are bandying this bit about flag burning "hurting people's feelings." Well, if that's the case, I find it funny that you all don't label flag burning politically incorrect. You seem to label everything else that "hurts someone's feelings" as being politically incorrect. Why not flag burning?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
We would gain more by embracing this growing imigration than by trying to fight it. These people are hardworking, deeply spiritual, respectful of laws and civil coexistance. They already have contributed so much to our country why not incorporate them to our greater good. Its not like we are the poorest country in the world, we just choose to be inefficient with our resources. they want to better their situation, cant you understand that? respect it?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Intrepid, well.... If you argue from a liberal standpoint, and believe me, the whole "we have a right to burn the flag" is a very liberal standpoint of view, then you are likely to get labeled as such. It really doesn't matter to me if he's liberal or not, I am just making the statement that going by his whole "feelings" argument
[edit on 30-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

first, ninthaxis, he knows full well it is covered under freedom of speech. he is just trying to justify the crap that he has said about the 'creature' that tried to burn it....just like the 'it is illegal to burn something in public cop out'....just trying to justify it...

i am not a liberal, consavertave, or anything..so from here on out, you can know that i argue not from on of those standpoints, but mine....does it fall in line with liberal views? don't know, don't care.
i am not pc though so you can drop that jazz now.

i don't see how the right to burn it can be looked at it from ANY standpoint. we are in fact allowed, under the law to do such a thing....the 'feelings' come into play when people like you get so bunged up over it cause you attach some meaning to it, that you want to refer to them as creatures, say they whould be phycically harmed, saying you'd take his flag to or saying 'better not do it front of me'....

you guys have the right to be all torn up over it...
just like everyone else says round these parts, what are you doing about this? it bothers you SO much that you don't care if a guy catches a fist....are you writing your lawmakers telling them that you don't think it should be allowed or what?

i'm thinking you're just belly aching on here, tossing out some small names, being all bunged up over it cause YOU feel a certain way about it.....

that is YOUR problem....that dude is/was in the right....
you're not.....thats the way it is..

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
In my mind it has nothing to do with being politically correct. It has EVERYTHING to do with it being politically LEGAL. The gov't has been trying for 40 years to make it illegal and hasn't been able to get it past the Supreme Court. They decided it WAS a 1st Amendment issue.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
so this one guy was burning a flag....its not like he was drinking a bottle of whiskey shooting of his six shooter and killing bandits in a saloon. he was protesting. He must have had a reason.....anyone know why he was so upset?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Again, refer back to my statement about liberals and their political correctness garbage... All of that crap is based on "not hurting people's feelings." But, that is how it works in this screwy country.. Political correctness in regards to some things, but not others. It's really amazing to me.

what amazes me is this is suppised to be a free country where you have the right to speak yet there are people like you that obviously want to censor speech/actions....yes this was an action, yadda yadda but it is covered under freedom of SPEECH...

just want to throw that away cause YOU get tingly when you see those special colors get lit huh? just toss peoples rights straight out the window?

That amazes me....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
.....anyone know why he was so upset?

I couldn't really care less. That's what pen and paper are for. If he is LEGAL, which is questionable, he should right his congressman or senator addressing whatever issue he is pissed off about, not burn the damned American flag..

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I couldn't really care less. That's what pen and paper are for. If he is LEGAL, which is questionable, he should right his congressman or senator addressing whatever issue he is pissed off about, not burn the damned American flag..

Not "he" "IT", burning the flag. It IS LEGAL and it's HIS 1st Amendment right. If he chooses to exercise that right NO ONE has the right to stop him.

Edit to add: Accepting the Constitution means accepting it in it's ENTIRETY, not the pieces that appeal to any one person.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
may be he did, who cares we will never know. But the fact is he is not physically hurting anyone. Why condem him? Is it because he is not worthy of his oppinion. His methods are his choice, who are you to judge?
was he burning you?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
In my mind it has nothing to do with being politically correct. It has EVERYTHING to do with it being politically LEGAL. The gov't has been trying for 40 years to make it illegal and hasn't been able to get it past the Supreme Court. They decided it WAS a 1st Amendment issue.

i'm right with ya man....it seems very, very simple to me.
it IS legal....if these every day citizens are worried about so and so lighting fire to cloth in public, then they can call the police or alert one if there is one there.....then, the cop can handle it..
we don't need the flad vigilante's running around....

i don't see how going up to a guy and yanking the flag out of his hand is the 'right thing'....how is that?
see what i mean?
flag guy is basically minding his own business, carrying on about his mini protest, within his rights. patriot guy decides to go up and get physical and that is right??

confusing.....i would think the guy getting physical could be looked at as trying to 'incite' something....
i know i'm not to hip to people putting their hands on me or taking anything from me.....thats usually not a good thing.....

i guess i just don't understand how people can be so attached to the flag...i mean, it's just a flag...one of a million.

if there was only ONE us flag ever crafted then i could see it as having some hardcore meaning....that is not the case though.
i can walk next door to the hardware store and have a flag in 5 minutes....they are everywhere.

you ask 100 people what the flag stand for, i bet they all say something a little different.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

was he burning you?

Not literally,no... Symbolically, yeah, in a way he was.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

ok, you're back.

why should he get to writing letters? he don't need to. he is legally allowed to burn that flag...

how bout you? i already asked....why don't YOU start making with the letters, letting lawmakers know just how upset this issue makes you and get the ball rolling to make it illegal....
get on it man....
see how far you get...

you're looking at crap backwards.....you say he should do this and that and shouldn't burn the 'damn' flag but all this is based only off your personal uptight feelings about it....none of it is based on the law and/or peoples rights....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Sounds like he hurt your feelings

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

was he burning you?

Not literally,no... Symbolically, yeah, in a way he was.

oh, what a big ole bnch of crap....

symbolically he was burning you.....

what is your deal man?

edit*
interpid, you're right...it is all legal like.....the ONLY reason he is belly aching about this is like the dude above me said, his feelings are hurt...
that is the SOLE reason.....
he is emotionally attached to this flag for whateve reason(s), and he's ticked that a guy would have the nerve to excerise his rights....

[edit on 30-7-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
OK guys, we can discuss this civilly.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
We can take this argument in any direction, but we'd be missing out if we forget that he did nothing wrong. No one was hurt. The falg was his property. Why do his "actions" merit punishment or scorn. At least he cares about his situation enough to defend himself. In his eyes he was doing what was necesary to accomplish his goals. I see nothing wrong with that. He cant figuratively do anything, unless you give him that power over you. But hey he did make his point. He is not happy with this government....for some reason.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

We can take this argument in any direction, but we'd be missing out if we forget that he did nothing wrong. No one was hurt. The falg was his property. Why do his "actions" merit punishment or scorn.

Actually, "scorn" is also protected by the 1st Amendment. Short of a death threat that is.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join