It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican activist attempts to burn American Flag-key word "attempts"

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

7. Prohibited items such as leaves, brush, garbage, refuse, wooden pallets, construction debris, cardboard, or any type of combustible or flammable liquids are not to be used for fuel

Well it didn't say anything about flags.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
alot of Mexican people are indigenous to our land. whose to say he isn't. he has all the right in the world to do that and the more you pay attention and intervene the more he feels he accomplished something. how about you stop holding symbolism higher then actual people.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
A sybol can not be harmed. . Why take it personally?

correct..only the feelings/personal attachments to individual people can be hurt..(their feelings)

no reason i can see to take it personally...just me though

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
what if he burned a mexican flag..would he be accused of being inconsiderate of the poeple around him for setting a fire? Might it then be ok...or is the most bothering thing about this whole thing the fact he looks mexican?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

no, sarcasm is not all i can do. read through th elast pages. i have made several arguments. pick out what you want, i don't too much care....

i can argue that it is legal to burn the flag...that is all i care about..imo, the actual fire on the street is such a non issue and again, you and others only bring it up to justify being so ticked at the flag getting burned.

Actually if you read my posts, I said it is legal to burn the flag out of protest. Just said I didn't like it and tried to explain why, and I did it in a manner that most ATS members adhere to. I have not once flow off the handle or gave anyone the impression (IMHO) What I was pointing out was when you started saying the man who took the flag was doing something illegal, I was pointing out so was the man burning the flag. Not about his rights. If you do not believe me, that is your opinion, but I have never given anyone the impression that I was a liar. I actually do give a crap, as I do give a crap about the guy taking the flag. I also think that is wrong. (Doesn't mean I would not have done the same thing) But I would be wrong.

Also you cannot argue that it is legal to burn a flag, because it is in fact illegal as you stated in your previous post. Perhaps its not a Class A felony, but illegal still the same.

If you still have more to say on the subject, show me where I am incorrect and I will gladly debate the issue.

Rgds
Chris

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
shift, thanks for that....seems to me that he was just fine then eh?
he didn't need wood or an accelerant....none of that...

i think it could be argued either way cause like all laws, they are not totally specific.....

how often do you concern yourself with public 'burnings'?
just curious

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

7. Prohibited items such as leaves, brush, garbage, refuse, wooden pallets, construction debris, cardboard, or any type of combustible or flammable liquids are not to be used for fuel

Well it didn't say anything about flags.

LOL.. We my interpretation of it was, those are things you can never light on fire, but the things you can still have to adhere to the other set of rules lol..

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The argument that the cop did nothing to stop the man from burning the flag is a mute point. The cop did nothing to stop the individual from stealing the flag either. That hardly justifies the theft. I wonder if there were cigarettes made to look like flags if people would be upset about this flag burning deal? Would this be a sign of patriotism or mockery?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

what if he burned a mexican flag..would he be accused of being inconsiderate of the poeple around him for setting a fire? Might it then be ok...or is the most bothering thing about this whole thing the fact he looks mexican?

Actually, I would think that was wrong too, but I'm just a softy I guess. I could care less if he was from Zeta Reticule (sp) to be honest. I do not care where anyone if from or what they look like.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio

Actually if you read my posts, I said it is legal to burn the flag out of protest. Just said I didn't like it

yeah, and you also said this

For the record if I saw someone burning the flag I would take it from them as well.
^^^^^^^^^^so you would also steal from them...ok

and this

You can hate the government, but if you hate America? Then what the hell are you doing here (not you but in general). People who burn the flag in IMHO are cowards.

^^^^^^automatic cowards.....uh huh....i see

--------------

so yeah, you said you didn't like it but you also said you'd steal it from them if you saw it and that if they burn it they are cowards....

edit*
shift, do you also get uptight when someone has a personal check with the american flag on it and things like that?
i think this is 3 times i have asked now....you mention the new york laws and the public fire you take issue with, well, what about from the link i posted.....in new york, they take it further to things like checks...

does that upset you too? just curious

[edit on 30-7-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
The argument that the cop did nothing to stop the man from burning the flag is a mute point. The cop did nothing to stop the individual from stealing the flag either. That hardly justifies the theft. I wonder if there were cigarettes made to look like flags if people would be upset about this flag burning deal? Would this be a sign of patriotism or mockery?

Now see thats a good point, but it would be legal lol. Actually it wouldn't be legal, Boons other post about letter head with flags on it, I am guessing you could get a fine, But a Funny thought though

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

so yeah, you said you didn't like it but you also said you'd steal it from them if you saw it and that if they burn it they are cowards....

No you are correct, as I said though I would be wrong. that would be more emotions getting the best of me. I would go to jail or get fined. I bet the fine for lighting a fire is hire then taking a flag from someone. Not sure though lol.
See I am honest, maybe not in the right when it comes to that but truthful

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What if he was burning an osama efigy? Would anyone stand up and say "hey not in my back yard, that is illegal!" So he burnt a flag....how is it a moral question, if its not and it is truely a legal argument then I guess we should not question his right to do so. He then has none if it illegal. I ask only you remember that fireworks are also illegal in NY but we still celebrate the fourth of july here. Laws have to make sense before people willingly follow them

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Laws have to make sense before people willingly follow them

no offense but thats not really a good argument, because I am pretty sure there are alot of laws that do not make sense to people. Ya know

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
[
See I am honest, maybe not in the right when it comes to that but truthful

i am too and you know what, we are just dudes on a forum so this probably matter little but honesty goes a long way with me....right or wrong you know...

thats why i come off like a prick sometimes....i am just honest/saying my feelings.....i may not be right, but i feel how i feel and i don't sugar coat it....i'm right with ya on the honesty man.....

i wish more people were like that

respek[/ali g]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

What if he was burning an osama efigy? Would anyone stand up and say "hey not in my back yard, that is illegal!" So he burnt a flag....how is it a moral question,

i don't see it as a moral question and i think that if someone was burning and OBL deal, people would join in or at the very least watch....the fire would not be an issue then...just my opinion

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
he does have the right to protest though, and not all protest have to be legally sound if what they are protesting are the laws that govern them...like for example a protest asking for the right to protest. It will never be alowed, doesnt mean it shouldnt be done. Just that its not allowed legally speaking.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

shift, thanks for that....seems to me that he was just fine then eh?
he didn't need wood or an accelerant....none of that...

i think it could be argued either way cause like all laws, they are not totally specific.....

how often do you concern yourself with public 'burnings'?
just curious

more then you would think, I live in PHX, AZ now and its a record drought here. our whole neighborhood could go down in flames in seconds if even an ash from a fire got near the surrounding area. But my point was only to add to the the man taking the flag was doing something illegal argument. That both of those points are probably moot, and in my first post way back on page 4 or something. I said it obviously didn't bug the police what either of these guys were doing. its a wash. lol

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
For me its the fact that most of the illegal aliens in this country come here and use the system against us and and twist the laws. On top of all of that they want to stand in the streets of my country and burn my country's flag. .

This is the flag that soldiers (my family members and friends) split blood trying to defend!

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
all together sorry then.
confused something you said with something someone else said

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join