It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican activist attempts to burn American Flag-key word "attempts"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

what else is there to say....in the end, we have the right to burn it....sure, you have the right to cry and whine but you don't have the right to take others property or physically try and stop them.....matter of fact, that would be some funny crap if you tried to stop them and got arrested......

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
You know what, you can bring that "let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya" crap you want; fact is, the guy needed his ass kicked. End o' story..

[edit on 29-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

i am speaker....forget the law. forget the constitution. forget peoples rights. my little feelings got hurt and that is enough for me to want/wish physical harm on another person....

you're a real piece of work dude......[/end of story]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

what else is there to say....in the end, we have the right to burn it....sure, you have the right to cry and whine but you don't have the right to take

Whose "crying and whining?" It seems to me that the people who are crying and whining are those that seem to want to burn the American flag. Instead of actually writing thier congressman and such, they'd rather make a scene and piss a bunch of people off. Again I ask... Whose "crying and whining?"

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

friggin people are unreal

Out of everything you said, that was the only correct thing.

yeah, i was talking about you.
i know it's correct. thats why i said it

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I think illegal aliens are like the people who want it all there way, and when they dont get there way, they live like dogs to enable the obviously proven delusion they adhere to. THey blame america, i say blame yourselves losers.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
"I do not agree with what you say but I would defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire

[edit on 29-7-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77
THey blame america, i say blame yourselves losers.

Exactamendo... For those who seem to want to support the "Mexican activist."

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Whose "crying and whining?" It seems to me that the people who are crying and whining are those that seem to want to burn the American flag. Instead of actually writing thier congressman and such, they'd rather make a scene and piss a bunch of people off. Again I ask... Whose "crying and whining?"

you are crying and whining along with ever other person who's sensative feelings are so hurt that you must say they need to leave the country or they need a whoopin or you get sick to your stomach...

quit belly aching about it.....
the ones that want to burn it are whiners too. i don't want to burn it. i just take comfort in knowing that i can.....
i support peoples rights to free speech. i do not support people wanting to harm another for doing something within the law that hurts their feelings.
so to answer, YOU are crying and whining.....IMO

are there better ways to protest? hell yes.
maybe that dude wrote 100 letters and never recieved a reply. maybe this, maybe that....maybe he did it just for fun....know what, that is his right.
you have no rights to stop him...sure, you're a tough guy and all that and you'd kick some butt or wollop them, but you wouldn't be in the right....

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei
"I do not agree with what you say but I would defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire

[edit on 29-7-2007 by pai mei]

*unless it hurts my feelings. then i will want to lay the smack down on you and ask you to leave the country

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

maybe that dude wrote 100 letters and never recieved a reply. maybe this, maybe that....maybe he did it just for fun....know what, that is his right.

Or, the more likely scenario, he didn't do anything except make the scene he did. "Fun?" Disrespecting a country and those that died for what that flag represents is "fun?" Wow, I weep for the future of this country. It is mindsets such as yours that is causing it to rot from the inside, out.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Or, the more likely scenario, he didn't do anything except make the scene he did. "Fun?" Disrespecting a country and those that died for what that flag represents is "fun?" Wow, I weep for the future of this country. It is mindsets such as yours that is causing it to rot from the inside, out.

yeah....more than likely thats all he did...i know that. we are not positive though...
i didn't say it was fun...i said maybe HE did it for fun...some people have a warped sense of humor....my point is, no matter what his reason is and no matter how bad it hurts your delicate sensabilities, you are allowed to do this....so, give it up...

i don't look at burning cotton/fabric as disrespecting this country or in any way the people that died 'for this country'(

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The people in the area, especially the merchants, could refuse service to people associated with the activists to show their opposition to this action. I doubt if it would happen because money trumps patriotism.

Burn a flag of Mexico. We would most likely see the same reaction from the other side.

I think the best thing is for people to look deeper tp what these activists really think about this country and being an American, which is very little.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Originally posted by earth2
I just think its great for someone (probably a veteran) to standup for the flag they fought for.

First of all, there is no reason to infer that this person was a veteran by that video.

Secondly, the person with the flag should have pressed charges against the other man for theft. He pulled the flag owned by the man wishing to burn it, out of his hands, and would not give it back.

So your hero stole something, and could be considered a criminal by the laws that are actually real.

Please. The rights to free speech DO HAVE LIMITATIONS.

For example, if you say something against someone else, that is slander, if you write something against someone else that is libel. If you scream FIRE in a public area you will be arrested if there is no fire.. you have the right to play music, but not at 3am so your neighbors cannot sleep .. the list goes on and on.. this whole notion that "well its a free country I will do as I bloody well please" is complete immature nonsense.

It may be his right to hold a rally, and it may be his right to do with the flag as he pleases, but if his actions cause a disturbance or ENTICE a disturbance he therefore looses his right to what ever activity he is doing...

Obviously his actions caused a problem, and for you to say that he should have pressed charges is laughable, and honestly disgusting.

The liberal Left feels as if they have this bullet proof shield around them, and all actions that are done on their side are righteous and cannot be stopped.

Just because there is a general statement "freedom of speech" does NOT mean you have the right to do ANYTHING.. That is not how a society works. Quite honestly, it is not the government taking rights away that so much scares me as the movements of left to degrade everything into shades of gray and destroy the cultural identity in the pursuit of .. equality.

I am glad to see that man stop the ignorant fool who most likely was an illegal immigrant.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I dont agree with flag burning in the sense that people will often misinterpret the message that your trying to symbolize. It just seems very uneffective to me in getting a point across other than the shock factor of it; however, if that is the means that one chooses to express themselves than it would be wrong for someone to deny them that. Illegal, in fact, to rob them of their means of expression.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

It may be his right to hold a rally, and it may be his right to do with the flag as he pleases, but if his actions cause a disturbance or ENTICE a disturbance he therefore looses his right to what ever activity he is doing...

Obviously his actions caused a problem, and for you to say that he should have pressed charges is laughable, and honestly disgusting.

I agree with you, but isn't that the job of the police and not some random individuals to decide? From what I saw in the video there was an officer a few feet away from the demonstrators and he didn't seem particularly disturbed by their actions or concerned that the demonstration was getting out of hand. Either could I from the looks of it.

Just because it may have caused unrest in a few people doesn't mean it was spilling over to full blown civil unrest. I mean, what demonstration doesnt entice people? That is their point.
Above all, it doesn't give people the right to steal - whether you agree with their cause or not.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
A couple of people have brought this up:

Is it legal to set ANYTHING on fire, in a public place, without a burn permit?
I believe he relinquished his rights to that property (the flag) as soon as he touched a lighter to it. So, IMO, there was not theft.
Besides, his intentions were to destroy it anyway!

On the issue of "flag kissers". This guy was trying to burn the flag, because of it's symbolism. The symbolism of the FLAG itself, and the act of burning it.
He was saying something without expressing it in words. "Screw the USA" or whatever. So HE (the pyro) is the one who defined the nature of this argument.
People around him knew what he was attempting to say, and one guy reacted upon it. A picture of my grandmother is technically a piece of paper, I'd be upset if someone burned it in front of me, though. Not because they burned a piece of paper, but because I'd know they were insulting someone I loved.

It's also really sad that it's so hard to tell if the event took place in America, or Mexico. I think, after watching it a couple of times, that it was in the US.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Please. The rights to free speech DO HAVE LIMITATIONS.

For example, if you say something against someone else, that is slander, if you write something against someone else that is libel.

whats it called when you physically take someones property?
how do you feel about the people saying this guy should have his butt kicked? just curious

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

For example, if you say something against someone else, that is slander, if you write something against someone else that is libel... ad infinitum...

Yes, those things are illegal, however there was a cop right there. Not to mention, it is not a crime to burn the flag. Sorry, but the fact is, there was a cop right there, if anyone is to intervene, even with the hazard of setting something on fire, it is the officer, not Joe Blow the patriot.

So if I say that a protest against a murder spree, held on the steps of city hall (with a permit) was disturbing me, I could shut it down? Protests that go through city streets that cause me to take a detour, I could shut down? He wouldn't have enticed any reaction if he would have been left alone to exercise his right to burn that flag. If Joe Blow patriot would have been singing "God Bless America" with a flag of his own, and minded his business, this wouldn't be an issue, now would it?

A problem for a single person. Of course, I am sure the police officers were liberal lefties too, letting people catch on fire with this possible "great fire" from a 3"x5" flag. And please be disgusted then, I'm going to walk down the street and start ripping stuff out of people's hands. When the police come out, I am going to tell them that they disgust me.

The liberal Left feels as if they have this bullet proof shield around them, and all actions that are done on their side are righteous and cannot be stopped.

Where are we now? Where have we gone to? *looks around*

Just because there is a general statement "freedom of speech" does NOT mean you have the right to do ANYTHING..

Never said it did. You imply that I said that, and you are wrong.

I am glad to see that man stop the ignorant fool who most likely was an illegal immigrant.

Because of what he looks like right? Or because of the fact that he's protesting? What makes him seem like an illegal immigrant to you? Do only illegal aliens possess the ability to use a lighter?

[edit on 7/29/07 by niteboy82]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

maybe i don't get this whole being a patriot deal....i look around and i see the gov screwing me and everyone else.

i don't get the allegience people have to the flag...i don't get how people 'love this country'.....
i don't 'love the country'....

it's land that i was born on and i like living here. i'm not anti usa by any means.....i'm just living in this joint for my short time here.

the whole patriotic, allegience, love of they country deal i just don't get....

these days especially. anyone that says anything shy of anything like loving the country or whatever is automatically not a 'patriot' and they can 'leave' and all tha crap.

when it is all said and done, i was born here as were you. i am entitled to live here and try to be happy and free, just as you are....bottom line.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
niteboy, that was a great post.

all this burning without a permit and public fire and all that crap is just people grasping at straws trying to justify copping an attitude against the guy/his actions...

imo, i think the people that are ticked are ticked just cause for any number of a million reasons, they take this flag business personal.
setting aside what the constitution and the law says about it, they are REAL uptight about it....THAT is there issue and imo, it is their problem, not the 'bandana face, more than likely illegal wuss protesting america hater that needs his butt kicked'....ya know?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join