It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neoton: IBM to shatter Moore’s law with 300GHz Crystal Computer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
This is actually happening later than I expected as in 2004-05 I read a very interesting White Paper that said we had the technology to create an all optical computer within a year. 2006 went by and not a peep and 2007 it looking to be the same. This atricle was written in 2006 and since IBM has NOT announced anything like this to date, I have say that this article is an old hyped up rumor. I do expect that this technolgoy will be developed soon, but not yet.... at least that we know of.

*coughleapaheadcough*

Company reps sure like to talk over a pint or 12.

That's the word on the street at any rate.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azathoth
15 yrs if we don't kill ourselves we should have this around.

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
I'm betting you start seeing commercial qdl (or military..) in the next 10 years. Maybe less.

Originally posted by jhanks28cold
...it won't be until 2011 that the product would be stable enough to replace existing architectures.

You guys did see my post back on page one, right?

Originally posted by damajikninja
The worlds first commercial quantum computer has already been unveiled back in February 2007.

It is made by a company called D-Wave.

[edit on 7/9/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What level of technology needs to be developed to allow us to
go to a music/video website and ask into the microphone for
a song and to have a list of the songs rendered which closely
match what we asked for?

Examples: (Using Voice Recognition)

Me: Computer, play video of song entitled "Long Island Queen".

Computer: Do you mean Carribean Queen by Billy Ocean?

Me: Yeah..I think that's it. Play Video Please.

-OR-

Me: Display my e-mails. Login is Username xxxx Password xxxx.
Me: Respond to e-mail from Charles Whitman: "Hi Chuck..I'm glad
you......."
Me: Send E-mail and Courtesy Copy Jane Doe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the type of real-world pratical computing power that
a lot of people are looking for. Forget the keyboard and the
handhelds with the styluses and tiny keys. Hasn't technology
advanced to the point where we can speak to our devices and
get tasks accomplished yet? It seemed futuristic when Star
Trek debuted in the 1960's, but come on.. this is 2007. Right?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
This story is self referencing BULLSNUFF..No Spokesman..No info Just BULLSNUFF...I would sell my IBM stock and buy Gold..
I dont need 300gig to do seti..OK maybe I do...but this is VAPORWARE..

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I had voice-active technology back in '98.
It's just too haphazard for quick computing, and anything beyond basic commands gets hard.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Seriously though, isn't it amazing how many things in all the Star Trek series are coming true? I'm beginning to wonder if, collectively, the human consciousness actually warps and bends reality to it's will.
It makes one wonder: Is art imitating life, or is life imitating art?

That's a very, very good point, and one that I always talked about it. They use a dilithium crystal power source for their propulsion, and just a few years ago lithium-ion batteries became the mainstream power standard for electronics.

I always thought perhaps he was a time traveler or had some special knowledge, sort of like Leonardo Da Vinci, and then I read this: Gene Roddenberry has documented the fact that he got many of his ideas for Star Trek from having many sessions with a channeller who contacted other entities. Doesn't sound like an alien conspiracy to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'm not sure what the Crystal Computer would mean, Could someone please explain it to me.

Also would it be like off of Stargate the crystals they used to power their spaceships and stardrivese, if so that would be truly amazing to know that something like that truly exists.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai
If not MS will just make a new bloated OS that sucks the CPU cycles.

Most certianly!

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I got my Brillo™ pad out and started scouring the IBM website. Here are all the related links and articles I could find:

IBM Press Room | Test-Tube Quantum Computer Makes History

SAN JOSE, Calif. - 19 Dec 2001: Scientists at IBM's Almaden Research Center have performed the world's most complicated quantum-computer calculation to date. They caused a billion-billion custom-designed molecules in a test tube to become a seven-qubit quantum computer that solved a simple version of the mathematical problem at the heart of many of today's data-security cryptographic systems.

"This result reinforces the growing realization that quantum computers may someday be able to solve problems that are so complex that even the most powerful supercomputers working for millions of years can't calculate the answers," said Nabil Amer, manager and strategist of IBM Research's physics of information group.

IBM Press Room | IBM-Led Team Demonstrates Most-Advanced Quantum Computer

SAN JOSE, Calif - 15 Aug 2000: The world's most advanced quantum computer has been developed at IBM's Almaden Research Center. Scientists then used it to show that such devices can solve problems that are impossibly hard for conventional computers.

IBM Research | Almaden Research Center | Quantum Information

In the words of Niels Bohr, "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it!" Shocking indeed to find that quantum bits, or qubits, can be both 1 and 0 at the same time! Or that it can be impossible to eavesdrop on a message sent as qubits!

IBM Research | Illustrating the Concept of Quantum Information

Over the past decade, quantum information theory has developed into a vigorous field of research despite the fact that quantum information, as a precise concept, is undefined. Indeed, the very idea of viewing quantum states as carriers of some kind of information (albeit unknowable in classical terms) leads naturally to interesting questions that might otherwise never have been asked, and corresponding new insights. We discuss some illustrative examples, including a strengthening of the well-known no-cloning theorem leading to a property of permanence for quantum information, and considerations arising from information compression that reflect on fundamental issues.

IBM Research | Quantum Crystallography

We describe the concept of quantum crystallography (QCr) and present examples of its potential as a technique for facilitating computational chemistry, particularly, applications of quantum mechanics. Structural information has been used to facilitate quantum-mechanical calculations for several decades. Recent advances in theory and computational facilities have led to research opportunities that could be considered only in the past several years. We focus on the feasibility of applications of quantum mechanics to macromolecules. The approach used involves the concept of calculations based on fragments of molecules. The method for constructing fragments, their composition, and how they are assembled to form a projector matrix are discussed without the introduction of mathematical detail. Papers that provide the theoretical basis for QCr and our method for making fragment calculations are referenced, and some initial calculations are described here.

IBM Research | Towards a Table-Top Quantum Computer

To investigate the scaling issues for quantum computation using thermalized ensembles of spins, we are building a rudimentary quantum computer using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). We discuss the experimental issues facing the scalability of this technique including the number of qubits, issues of classical versus quantum behavior, and polarization. Due to the weak signals measured in NMR, the most significant challenge to practical devices is polarization enhancement. We present the architecture for a simple NMR spectrometer that is table-top, low-cost, and software-radio driven using commodity electronics and unconventional permanent magnet designs. Optimizations specific to using this machine as a computational device, such as probe design, compilation, and on-line control, are discussed.

IBM Research | Press Resources | IBM Researchers Demonstrate World's Fastest Optical Chipset

Anaheim, CA., March 26, 2007 – At the 2007 Optical Fiber Conference, IBM scientists will reveal a prototype optical transceiver chipset capable of reaching speeds at least eight times faster than optical components available today.

IBM Developer Works | Introduction to Quantum Computing

In the next few decades, quantum computers are likely to move out of science fiction and research labs (largely at IBM) and into practical applications. A class of problems surrounding complex combinatorics that plague deterministic computers can be solved efficiently on Quantum Computers (QCs). This article, which builds on a basic knowledge of the mathematics of vectors, gives an introduction to quantum computing. For illustration, examples use qcl (quantum computing language), a free programming language for quantum computers distributed under the GNU General Public License. qcl allows developers to simulate and examine a "virtual" quantum computer. The authors, Brad Huntting and David Mertz, are experts in mathematics and veteran programmers. David Mertz is a frequent contributor to developerWorks.

As an added bonus, here is link to a cool video on the D-Wave website talking about Quantum Computing. The video features interviews with researchers from JPL|NASA and the man that wrote the very first book on Quantum Computing.

D-Wave Video | What the Experts are Saying

[edit on 7/10/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Drunvalo (drunvalo.net) said there is a governmentcomputer which uses water to store information. He said its capacity is almost infinite.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
As far as alien technology is concerned, you know there are computers which can read your mind. In fact that is the way UFOs fly. Once you are revved up to the 4th dimension, you (the pilot) become part of the space ship. If you want to go to New York, for instance, you just visualize New York.
We must also remember there is silicon based life form also. Those who have touched a flying saucer say it reacted to them as if it were alive. ie. changed color, temperature, etc. Also pieces of a recovered disc are able to resume their original shape after being wadded up. These things require an intelligence far beyond mere metal.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet

Still beats IBM's....... so mute point.

Reread article - you're absolutely right.

[edit on 10-7-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Perhaps then i will be able to finally run Oblivion in max settings and burn a dvd at the same time w/o stutters and lag..

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Fits perfectly with Ray Kuryweils "Singularity is Near" theory:

www.disclose.tv...

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Such a leap would surely allow for advancements in:

graphics & imaging
artificial intelligence
communications
and my personal favorite: virtual reality

Hmmmm....just saw that this is from 2006 and can't find any release where IBM stated this.

Hoax?

[edit on 10-7-2007 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai
But will there be applications requiring 100+ times the computing power?

Yes. There already is. It's called Artificial General Intelligence. Check out my sig/videos. It's happening faster than I thought...

[edit on 10-7-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
The worlds first commercial quantum computer has already been unveiled back in February 2007.

It is made by a company called D-Wave.

This company sells software and uses QC as a gimmick subject

[edit on 10-7-2007 by xymtec]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
Wow..I want one. This is amazing. I was just telling my kids the other day that we are long over due for a break in technology, this may be it. Now imagine this processor over a Internet2 connection. You would be downloading 1 gig per second (my own estimation).

[edit on 8/7/07 by Rhain]

i downloaded at that once.....for about 3 seconds....

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Hardware can make all the advances it can, but don't forget: software has to keep up...otherwise what good is it?

my opinion I could be wrong here.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex
Hardware can make all the advances it can, but don't forget: software has to keep up...otherwise what good is it?

my opinion I could be wrong here.

no it'd just be crap....i could still run windows 95 off my current computer...

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join