It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neoton: IBM to shatter Moore’s law with 300GHz Crystal Computer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Thats more gigaflops than you can shake a stick at.

www.newtechspy.com...

.IBM is about to unveil a revolutionary form of computing that could tranform the World of information. It is known as the Crystal Computer and it is a way to use pulses of light to transfer and store digital information as quantum bits. A processor so fast it is capable of running the eqivilatent of 300GHz, or about 400 Gflop/sec, that’s about 100 times faster than today’s fastest consumer microprocessors.

More at source.

Optical, quantum, laser, energetic, lightwave computing. No longer will electrical resistance and inductance limit speed. But will there be applications requiring 100+ times the computing power? If not MS will just make a new bloated OS that sucks the CPU cycles.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
There will soon come the ones from space to introduce technology not of our own. The majority human populace will adapt and use such given, though our trust resides with our own creations than the ones of space. Soon we will have computers that can download information into the very brain itself, that will be a decade from now or less. This to, I can almost guarantee you, Malichai.

/7A

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wow..I want one. This is amazing. I was just telling my kids the other day that we are long over due for a break in technology, this may be it. Now imagine this processor over a Internet2 connection. You would be downloading 1 gig per second (my own estimation).

[edit on 8/7/07 by Rhain]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I still foresee games and other apps that utilize this technology, but it will probably be about two years after release before they are there.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Now, I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers but I'm no expert, either. Can someone tell me if the other components of the system (HD, RAM, cache, peripherals, cache, etc.) will be able to keep up?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I gave up keepingup with the processors, i stopped at 3ghz, gave it to my son, and typing away nicely on a 400mhz celeron (named after the vegetable). IBM qubit processing is a monumental leap that woul dispense with those gigantic cryogenic tanks that the cray systems used. I understand that Dwave an outfit in Canada had a working system also, that nasa verified the computations at a demo back in feb or march of this year. Imagine if you are a time traveler and you wanted to make sre you were close to the spot on one of many parallel times. you would need a quantum computer. This will also take the weather modeling and predictions considerably foward by leaps and bounds. NASA could certainly use some help in that department
. Nice post and look foward to reading more.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Now, I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers but I'm no expert, either. Can someone tell me if the other components of the system (HD, RAM, cache, peripherals, cache, etc.) will be able to keep up?

No, a whole new set of peripherals will have to be created, though I would think that we wouldn't want the old tech to go to waste so an interface will be created to render the new technology with some backward compatibility.

This is actually happening later than I expected as in 2004-05 I read a very interesting White Paper that said we had the technology to create an all optical computer within a year. 2006 went by and not a peep and 2007 it looking to be the same. This atricle was written in 2006 and since IBM has NOT announced anything like this to date, I have say that this article is an old hyped up rumor. I do expect that this technolgoy will be developed soon, but not yet.... at least that we know of.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Soon we will have the raw computing power before 2012 at this rate to download human consciousness into "software". Maybe this is what 2012 means...time will cease to exist as we know it because we will live in a time-less digital realm...where mere seconds now in time will last apparent "eons" to our consciousnesses...?

A company is already producing a holographic hard drive capable of being used with this new IBM technology:InPhase Technology

With leaps and bounds comming so rapidly at such an exaggerated curve of time/advancement...

Perhaps that is what awaits us???

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The world's first commercial quantum computer has already been unveiled back in February (2007).

It is made by a company called D-Wave.

I was Googling for quantum computers and found an article that says D-Wave has a 16-qubit computer. Doesn't sound like much until you realize that a system with only a few hundred qubits could process all the information from every atom in our universe! That's what the article said anyways...

I'll try to find that link again - its a good read! Great post, OP.

[edit on 7/9/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
Soon we will have computers that can download information into the very brain itself...

Aren't they called eyes?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
That would be something but it will only be as fast as the bottle neck. They would have to make advances in RAM, harddrives and disks. Otherwise it would bottle neck and you wouldnt benefit from it.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Great. Give Microsoft an excuse to come out with another version of Vista. I can see it now: Vista Optical

Actually this was touched a little bit by the latest issue of PC Magazine, though they predict it won't be until 2011 that the product would be stable enough to replace existing architectures. (sp?)

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
Wow..I want one. This is amazing. I was just telling my kids the other day that we are long over due for a break in technology, this may be it. Now imagine this processor over a Internet2 connection. You would be downloading 1 gig per second (my own estimation).

Internet 2 is a consortium providing high-bandwidth connections to Academic and Government groups, it isn't the "new internet".

It uses the same technology that the every other network around the world uses, except it is a dedicated service provided to certain customers.

It's a common misconception that "Internet 2" is a new thing and will replace the "internet" (which in itself is not a single network). The consortium was founded in 1995 to provide dedicated high-bandwidth connections.

I could go into some depth about it, as I work in Telecoms, but I think you get the gist.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It is only the very beginning of quantum computers. Like the first transistors. And there is a long, long way to get from a transistor to a computer. If it succeeds. I think we have to wait 10 or 20 years before to buy one.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Quantum computing is sort of like holographic optical computing, it's great at certain things but really isn't all that good at others. The technology in this article might be good at breaking encryption, but you couldn't play Quake X on it.

There is something called quantum dot computing though, which is something the gubmint's blowing major bucks on, isn't discussed a lot, and the architects seriously discuss things like "at what point do we start getting autonomous behavior".

Quantum dot logic can also use qubit elements, but in a generally more useful way than a sea o' qubits sort of machine.

Here's a nice pdf with a discussion of various quantum stuff.

edit: Here's some stuff from Sandia, it's a bit cryptic (you guys will love that part no doubt). Erik DeBenedictis, if you're interested in this sort of thing, or what the gubmint's interests are, follow the bouncing Erik.

It's a pdf

[edit on 9-7-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well really ATS'ers, do you honestly think that what the sheeple are being informed about is our real current level of tech?

This is now declassified prob because those in the know have made a new leap. and don't expect to get hold of this for at least a decade unless your very well off.

Look at theoritical computing and most likely thats where we really are.

Although I can't wait to start bidding on ebay for one of the super computers bidding begins at 1 cent.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Holy Gigaflops batman, that is a lot of power.
May I have this with dual Processors????
I can't imagine what the powers that be have at there disposal.

[edit on 7/9/2007 by Illuminated_1]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I could be wrong but this looks like a bogus story to me. It is dated for May 8 2006...

I cant seem to find any IBM related "Neoton" other than the OP source.

The only "groundbreaking" news that I can find on the IBM site is a press release about their developments in self-assembling nanotechnology "airgap" processors

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I just did a simple Google search for "IBM neoton" and got plenty of hits. have a peruse at your leisure.

[edit on 9/7/07 by stumason]

[removed quote of entire previous post]
Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The only thing I can find are hits to forum topics with each source the same as the one for this thread ( newtechspy.com) Did you find any other sources?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join