It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
thndr:
so you're a 100% sure he did use sarcasm? a yes/no answer will do....

[edit on 8/1/2007 by a1ex]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
the Moon orbits thew Earth?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex
thndr:
so you're a 100% sure he did use sarcasm? a yes/no answer will do....

[edit on 8/1/2007 by a1ex]

Yes.

It is not exactly easy to pick up on, but if you listen to the Podcast you can pick up on it by the way he proceeds interrupting the guy he was talking with. That little news article leaves out much, like a false sense of surprise. It was obvious to me he was leading the guy on that part...
You have to listen to it to get it in context.

Of course interpretations are a dime a dozen and mine is but one.

Sorry I disobeyed the "yes/no answer" directions you left. I felt a simple "yes/no answer" was inadequate as I wanted my reasoning to be made known for my answer.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES

Some of the best of the best:

Q: Tell me a country that the first letter is a U
A: Yougoslavia?

Q: What's the religion of Israel?
A: Israeli

Q: What's the religion of Budhist Monks
A: Islamic

Q: Who won the Vietnam war
A: We did....wait were we even in the Vietnam war?

Q: How many sides does a triangle have
A1: Four
A2: No sides.....One?

Many many more on the video above....

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by estar
Jesus, that's shocking

But to not know basic science for a large portion 1 in 5 is really terrible news for the future.

And most of them are Christian Jesus followers and Islam Muhammad followers.

Only if greedy American embrace Communism, then it is a better world with no stupid people who think Sun evolves earth.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Until humanity abolishes money and robotics free people from repetitive jobs, scientific illiteracy will be the norm.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
In the big scheme of things does it matter knowing which one resolves around the other? I mean we live earth bound why does it matter?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I think it's not only in the US, people just don't care anymore...
If I mention to my friends something about our solar system, they look at me like I came from another planet

Only intrested in what car they drive, en making sure they have the latest smartphones

I leave them in their ignorance

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It matters when half the population doesn't have a clue about anything relating to basic science when you have a situation involving science that politicians are debating spending money on. That is taxpayer money they spend. If 1 in 5 people don't have a clue and are voting for the wrong guy in an election who is wasting our tax payer money, it matters when it changes election results. It matters when our income is taxed foolishly. It matters when government funds are wasted because even some of our politicians are among the idiots who were never taught basic science. Whether or not they know that the Earth revolves around the sun may not matter by itself but when it comes to understanding other basic science topics that politicians want to spend money on, it matters.

It is kind of like saying it doesn't matter if you don't know arithmetic or didn't know 2 + 2 = 4 because others know and will give you back the correct change. If 1 out of 5 have no clue, they still vote and influence elections and that matters in my opinion. Not knowing basic things does or can cause problems. The clueless might be easily swayed in an election for example by a politician who is an idiot himself but the clueless won't know.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The sun actually does revolve around the earth, the same way the earth revolves around the sun. If you'd say only one of those is true, you'd say that it would be the absolute center of the universe. It's all a matter of perspective.
If you're talking about gravitational pull, the earth's one may be completely insignificant compared to that of the sun, but it's still present.

Just saying.

[edit]
You might also want to look up something called barycenter.
edit on 31-8-2013 by Marsupilami because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
My 2 cents...

The Earth, and all the other planets in our solar system, REVOLVE around the Sun. The Sun does not REVOLVE around the Earth or any other planet.

However, ALL material objects within the solar system ORBIT around the system’s center of mass (the barycenter). This includes The Sun, the planets, the moons, astroids, comets, etc. The barycenter of our solar system is physically located somewhere between just above the surface of the Sun and some point within it. It varies as the position of the planets and other material objects in the system change position. In other words, the center of mass of our solar system changes slightly over time. BUT, it always remains within the close vicinity of the Sun itself, since the Sun contributes well over 90% of the mass of the system as a whole. It causes the Sun to kinda wobble as it orbits the barycenter.

So, as far as I know, the Sun DOES NOT revolve around the Earth. The Sun revolves around the barycenter (center of mass) of the Milky Way galaxy...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
editby]edit on 8/31/2013 by netbound because:

edit on 8/31/2013 by netbound because: double posted...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join