It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about grass???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have a manual wheat grass juicer, as Itryto buy everything so it dosn't need power, but my question is, does anyone know if it is OK to juice ANY kinds of grass??? If it is, I'll just need my juicer and any field practically.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
All I know is that the human body can't digest grass in it's normal state, not sure about juice.

Grass is almost entirely comprised of cellulose (fiber.) The human body (stomach) can't get any relevant amount of nutrients out of it. That's why cows have multiple stomachs.

During the potato famine in Ireland, many people were found with green stains around their mouths from trying to eat grass in a last effort. Funny yet tragic.

I'm also allergic to grass so I don't know how my body would react to drinking concentrated grass juice.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Dogs and cats eat grass for the moisture in it. I suppose if you're dying of thirst, this is good to know.
If they dont die from it, we shouldnt either.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well you just got to watch which grass you juice.
Lots of grass areas have pesticide and such which is not
good for us.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Dogs and cats eat grass for the moisture in it. I suppose if you're dying of thirst, this is good to know.

My dog only eats grass when his stomach is upset, and then it's not very much, and he usually ends up throwing it up again anyway. So I don't know if even dogs and cats can digest it...

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I sho' wouldn't try anything other than wheatgrass. When you plug "grass juicer" into google you get a bunch of results for wheatgrass juicers and that alone. It's as if the juicer companies are not recommending usage of their product on any other type of grass.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
lol what about Urban "grass" lmfao

I know you can eat pine needles for moisture, as they have high moisture content. as for grass, everything and their mommah does their bizz on it, I wouldnt trust it just like I wouldnt trust eating dung. Although Beargrills ( manVswild) has drank elephant dung liquid for a source of moisture, I dunno how that effected him later but he did it. lol ( prolly went to get his stomach pumped after that broadcast ) lol

[edit on 30-6-2007 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ever seen a cat vomit up a fur ball? They induce this by eating a load of grass when their stomach gets too full of fur from grooming. Chances are this is what would happen to us. The cows (as have been mentioned) can digest this by constantly regurgitating, chewing and re-swallowing the grass. Their digestive system is much more complex than ours.

In humans the appendix used to be used for digestion of cellulose-rich foods such as grass, but this has become redundant as we evolved into omnivores. We no longer have the capacity to efficiently digest such foods.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Wheatgrass juice has the same molecular composition as blood with one molecule being different. Wheatgrass juice has a molecule of magnesium in the place where blood has a molecule of iron. Since "life" is considered to be in the blood, drinking wheatgrass juice (or "implanting" via colonics) is considered by many nutritionists to be a blood purifier, tonic, immune booster, etc.
All grasses are edible but not all grasses are as nutritious as wheatgrass (juice). You also have to watch out for those black spots on grain grasses as they are probably ergot-a powerful hallucinogenic and vasoconstrictor. People have died from eating ergot contaminated grain. Like most "poisons", ergot is therapeutic (for migraines) in small doses. Since you can't determine the dose of ergot from that grown in a field, it's best to avoid it altogether.
By the way, where did you get your manual juicer?
Max Gerson recommends a grind-n-press juicer for maximum nutritional benefit rather than the centrifugal force juicers; and not just for wheatgrass but for all juicing (fruits, vegetables).

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
i don't know what it's called but there is something that grows in the grass that we can chow on....it's all over in my yard...i was watching the food network one day and this dude actually grabbed some out of the yard and made a salad out of it...he's a chef and said it's absolutely edible....i don't know the name but i will go out and take a pic of it later and post it so you can know what it looks like...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
i don't know what it's called but there is something that grows in the grass that we can chow on....it's all over in my yard...

Most likely it is Dandelion. It is a common weed that is edible.

[edit on 7/5/07 by NoPhobos]

[edit on 7/5/07 by NoPhobos]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

WHAT UTTER TWADDLE

my dog licks puddles of urine he finds on the street - he has been doing this without noticable harm for 7 years

do you want to try emulating this behaviour ? ... i certainly do not

also my dog requries ZERO vitamin C in his diet [ his own organs synthesis it on demand ] - how long will you last with with zero vit C ???

please stop telling us to do certain things - just because dogs and cats do it

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
ok - having got the last reply off my chest

i personally do not reccomend attempting to eat grass - however it is processed - and echo the warnings given

but if you insist - my sensible advice is :

be very carefull where you " harvest " it from

chemical / bacterilogical contamination - either uptaken from the soil , or adhered is the biggest threat

if you insist - ideally grow your own ` eating grass ` in a window box - so that you know the soil is ok

and before eating it :

WASH , WASH and AWASH AGAIN

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Also keep in mind that some common grasses are considered toxic or poisonous. Sweet Flag for example, which is a very common grass in the US ,is listed as a poisonous plant and it's consumption may lead to hallucinogenic reactions.

Eating grass for moisture is foolish. Your body needs water for digestion. The small amount of water in grass is far less than your body uses to digest and process the grass resulting in a net loss. Pine needles, as suggested earlier, are even worse.

Stick to growing your own wheat grass and skip the experiments with found grass as it isn't worth it.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
On one of the survivor shows the guy said you could just chew on grass and then spit it out, and get nutrients like that.

Our dog eats grass too, but he eats it all the time....dumb dog...

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
All I know is that dogs eat grass so they can throw up. Two of my old dogs did. If its not good for a dog, then it isn't good for you.

top topics

join