It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Explorer & log in problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I have been using Internet Explorer 6.??? for a long time and no problems.
But last night when I went to ATS the log in button was there. I am usually always logged in. When I ran the cursor over the log in button the log in window popped up. I entered the info and the log in button was replaced with the log out button. Great.... But when I clicked on MYATS favorites It didn't open and the LOG in Button was there again. Everytime I logged in and then clicked something on the site, I would get logged out.

So I read all the threads dealing with Log in Problems and tried everything.

1) I deleted the cookies and the temporary internet files. opened the browser up...logged in...same problem.
2.) I checked the Security settings and made sure it did not get set to High Security. Put it on Low....same problem.
3.) logged in on my wifes computer ...no problems at all.
4.)compared all the setting on my wifes computer to mine ..made sure they were the same...logged back in...same problem.

getting desperate now.

5.) Downloaded Internet Explorer 7....same problem.
6.) Threw in the towel and installed Mozilla Firefox....No more problems!

I can usually figure this stuff out .. but that has me stumped. Guess I'll stick with Firefox unless someone has an idea I haven't tried.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Are you sure that you hadn't changed some settings in IE6, between the last time logged in, and the first occurance of this problem?

Firefox is an excellent browser, btw.

It sounds like your cookies are not being saved....

[edit on 6/22/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I set Internet explorer to accept all cookies, but no change.

So for I haven't noticed any problems with other sites yet.

I might have to invite the IT guy from work over for a beer....

although I don't really want him snooping around my computer.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I use explorer 6 , and haven't had problems with ATS yet.However that very problem happened with my photobucket.I did the same checks you did, and all was fine after.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

It sounds like your cookies are not being saved....

[edit on 6/22/2007 by Mechanic 32]

I think your right about the cookies not being saved, ..I tried everything I can think of. I even uninstalled all my virus protection & turned off my Firewall. None of this helped. I'm going to stick with Firefox for a while. I hear it is a good, stable browser.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The only suspect is my 11 year old daughter...She was on my computer. She might have allowed an automatic update...which I always deny till I can see what it is first.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
the ultimate solution....ditch windows, free your mind, dont let your computer control you...install linux and learn to control your computer

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
My computer is doing the same, if i log into bts then go to ats i have to log in again, but if i go back to bts i have to log in Again.

And when i click onto chat, i will get in but then have to log into the ats forums again as it locks me out.

i don't know, i am just glad someone else is having the same problem... in the nicest possible way

onixx

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well as an update. I still cannot not log into ATS and browse the site using Windows Internet explorer. I can only access it using Firefox.
I cannot log into putfile.com using Windows Internet Explorer, but I can still do so with Firefox.

However I can still use Windows Internet explorer to access a different forum site ,scubaboard.com, without any problems.

I also cannot log into Yahoo instant Messenger any more. I can still log into and use MSN Messenger without any problems, but no one I need to chat with uses MSN.

I have tried everything I can think of but so for nothing has worked.

I'm aboput ready to PUNT and call Geek squad or something.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
I'm aboput ready to PUNT and call Geek squad or something.

Sounds like a settings issue then, with Internet Explorer.

Firefox is excellent btw. Give it a chance.

Once I finally made the switch to Firefox, I had never looked back to Internet Explorer.

But if you do want to keep Internet Explorer, why not make a post in "Computer Help", where you may get the answer that you are looking for.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I tried a few browsers before Firefox. Once I used that it was over for the rest of them. Really it's the only way to go imo. The only thing it doesn't do that I would like is going back to the spot on the previous page instead of the top. It's worth a little extra scrolling.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
you know what will fix all of your problems? Download Firefox 2 by Mozilla for FREE. Search it on google.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I am going to continue to use Firefox for my Browser at home. It does seem to work well.
I still cannot log into Yahoo Instant Messenger. but hey, as long as I can get my daily fix of ATS I'm happy

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
OK this is strange.
When I tried to download the latest version of Yahoo Instant Messenger using Windows Internet Explorer I would get a error message saying that a file was unable to be downloaded, but then the installation would proceed. However Yahoo would not allow me to log in once it was installed.

So I un-installed Yahoo and downloaded it using Firefox....This time no error message, the installation was complete and I can now use Yahoo Instant Messenger again.

So having been through this ordeal, I am scrapping Internet Explorer and making Mozilla Firefox my New Browser. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sounds good Sparky!

I really think that there are some settings in your Internet Explorer browser that need to be adjusted, especially after what you had just said. (that is if you REALLY want to use it)

Now with Firefox, there are many different "Extensions" that you can add on, that make it truly the best browser out there.

To find out more, go to "Tools" --> "Extensions" then click on "Get more Extensions". It will take you to a website that has thousands of extensions for firefox. So check it out, I am certain that you will find many there that will make you glad you made the switch.

One extension I highly recommend, is Tabmix Plus.

Another is "Faster Fox" which tweaks some settings to make pages load a little faster.

[edit on 7/2/07 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
firefox can be really tweaked out with alot of the hidden settings...in the address bar type "about:config" (without quotes) and that'll open a page containing tons of different settings, theres documentation out there explaining what each one does also. most of the option are specified as booleans or integers

top topics

join