It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland, Civil War at home, Revolution Abound

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlayeR87
Would you care to elaborate on that are we alone?

Its part of the problem in Glasgow with Celtic and Rangers fans. Celtic being Irish Catholics and Rangers being Scottish Protestants.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
So its our fault that the Scots take scoccer and religon as excuses to cause violence?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I must say, the OP has some big ones to post support for the IRA on ATS..

It is a sensitive subject of course...

Blissfullignorance..

I agree with a few points you made, however there are limitations that I can give acceptance to, terrorism is both cowardly and unjustified..

I agree with you about the IRA, fighting the "good fight" against a non-native population..

I do not however agree with most of their tactics, and am pleased they are trying political moves instead of fighting...

but now my relatives in Dublin are telling me about something they've heard underground. That there is a planned uprising of the RIRA, or the real ira as they call themselves. Supposedly, they are going to try to group up, militarize, and attack Northern Ireland. They have no problem with the protestants, and they wouldn't be doing this if it werent for the damned brits. I'm sorry, I hope I havent offended any of you. any opinions though on what this would mean?

I do not see this happening so long as the Irish economy stands strong.. but once it falters there could very well be fighting especially with imigrants and Northern Ireland..

The Irish right now have no reason to grab a gun and fight NI .. there is little to gain besides land..

However, one statement about it not being about religion.. it has always been about religion .. thats the main divide..

Of course, most protestants are protestants because they are British or British descendants...

I do however support moves to unite all of Ireland under one government, the Irish deserve their island and not to share with the English. Their methods need to change though.. killing or wounding civilians DOES NOT consolidate support.. it pushes people away.. a real military campaign would be horrific but far more successful in achieving the ultimate goal of a consolidated Ireland..

as for your points about a race war in America.. not likely to ever happen.. if the economy fell and it got real bad, I could see backlashes against illegal immigrants, but most likely factions would be formed through religion, money, ideology not race. Not that it is not possible of course, just less likely outcome.

Right now in Ireland, I think people are generally happy with the situation.. the North is getting along nicely, the IRA have their political party to vote for, police are becoming far more Catholic then they used to .. which is a big deal in North Ireland...

I just don't see the support for a IRA group or military attack against the North..... The Irish are living it up right now.

Just my opinions of course, don't hate me for them.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   

So its our fault that the Scots take scoccer and religon as excuses to cause violence?

Er....sorry?

Who are "we/you"? can't answer that question unless you divulge a little more.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A citizen of the Republic of Ireland

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I agree with a few points you made, however there are limitations that I can give acceptance to, terrorism is both cowardly and unjustified..

I agree with you about the IRA, fighting the "good fight" against a non-native population..

Non-native? They're all Gaelic!

I do not see this happening so long as the Irish economy stands strong.. but once it falters there could very well be fighting especially with imigrants and Northern Ireland..

What makes you think this?

Of course, most protestants are protestants because they are British or British descendants...

they're Scottish descendants so, ethnically, they are the same grouping.

I do however support moves to unite all of Ireland under one government, the Irish deserve their island and not to share with the English.

They don't share it with the English in the slightest.

It annoys me when people comment on a situation they don't understand.

Right now in Ireland, I think people are generally happy with the situation.. the North is getting along nicely, the IRA have their political party to vote for, police are becoming far more Catholic then they used to .. which is a big deal in North Ireland...

I just don't see the support for a IRA group or military attack against the North..... The Irish are living it up right now.

Indeed and it is the best deal they are going to get unless a massive swing occurs and everyone decides to be Irish. Not likely to happen.

If the IRA or indeed, Eire itself attacked the North, then they would be going back 100 years and would most likely lose everything they gained.

To qualify, I am actually descended myself from irish fisherman who moved to Cornwall from Eniskillen in the 1700's. So I am as Gaelic as they come in that respect. yet I don't support a move to unite NI with Eire. In fact, if I had my way, Eire wouldn't even exist.....

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

A citizen of the Republic of Ireland

Did anyone say it was the republics fault?

No...

Seeing as the Republic didn't exist when they migrated....

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I say, in good Celtic tradition, we all stop the bickering for 10 minutes and have a pint!
Bass for the brits!
Harp for the Micks
And I'm buying because ya know the Scots ain't crack'n open those Sporrans!

Erin go Bragh, God Save the Queen and the Scone Stands.

Now drink up so we can get back to the business at hand!

God love the Irish-Americans....because no one else will!

Cuhail

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Maybe you dont understand stu
I never said the republic was blamed

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail

I say, in good Celtic tradition, we all stop the bickering for 10 minutes and have a pint!
Bass for the brits!
Harp for the Micks
And I'm buying because ya know the Scots ain't crack'n open those Sporrans!

Indeed, which is why I would have liked the whole British isles to be united. We're all the same people, at the end of the day and we make a good team. It's not about imperialism and trying to control the Irish, but being part of something great!

Together, we forged an Empire the likes of which the world had never seen or will see again.

Divided and we crumble.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
But you said this:

Sorry if I am confused!

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The English INVADED our country and you want us to get along

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The Irish Catholics new what they were doing ''Hey fellow Irish Catholics lets move to a country called Scotland a Protestant country we will be welcome with open arms, if we move there we can set up our own towns and church we will get along like a house on fire with the Protestants' Oh and its more than Rangers and Celtic. When the Orange order have there Orange walk or the Irish Catholics have there walk fights start all over where ever it may be. This all happened because waves of Irish Catholics move from Ireland to Scotland, do all the research you want ask anybody you want its FACT. Scotland will never be the same. Its all comes down to Religion on bothe sides. In my opinion all that Religion does is cause wars and and divide people the Catholic Protestanst wars in Northen Ireland and Scotland is one of them.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The English INVADED our country and you want us to get along

hey, you were doing invading of your own. Don't play all innocent!

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Lmao like we ever posed a risk to England

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Just reading up on some Irish history and it would seem that significant bunch of Irish people are probably Viking and Norman in descent...

Interesting.....

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Lmao like we ever posed a risk to England

Well actually, Irish warriors were frequently used by Scots who did pose a significant risk to England and invaded, burned and pillaged.

With the Vikings settling in Ireland (they founded almost all of your major towns and cities), raiding into england was common place.

The Scots are another lot who plead innocence, when in actuality, they invaded us as many times as we did them.

They're just grumpy because we won in the end.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
ok are we alone i am sorry but i am in no mood at the moment to have a debate with someone who has a personnal vendetta against religion

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

ok are we alone i am sorry but i am in no mood at the moment to have a debate with someone who has a personnal vendetta against religion

Neither do I.....

Who are you talking about?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
not you

the fella with the user name "are we alone"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join