It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taleban claim that Mullah Dadullah body was swapped for hostages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Taleban claim that Mullah Dadullah body was swapped for hostages

news.bbc.co.uk

Taleban rebels say Afghan officials have handed over to them the body of senior commander Mullah Dadullah in exchange for the release of hostages.

A Taleban spokesman said Mullah Dadullah's family members had received the dead commander's body in the old city of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan and had reburied it in a city graveyard.

He said the Taleban had freed three Afghan hostages working for the health ministry, along with the decapitated body of a doctor in the same group.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Assuming that the claims are true I am reminded of the decision to bury Saddam in an grave yard. Such actions can only lead to the persons grave becoming a shine for there supporters. The Nazi leaders who were executed after Nuremberg trial were cremated and there remains dumped into a river. Afghanistan seems to lack rivers but Mullah body should have been cremated and dumped in a remote location.

The barbaric acts committed by Mullah should override any culture considerations. I am sure that Mullah body would have been examined carefully but could Mullah somehow be carrying info of importance internally ?
Mullah carrying intel inside his body would explain why the Taleban wanted his body back so badly.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
One dead corpse is worth any number of hostages in my book.

The same with the RN Marines in Iran recently. there was some sort of deal struck about Iranians arrested in Iraq.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
One dead corpse is worth any number of hostages in my book.

Fair point and I can understand your reasoning even if I don't agree with it.
Now onto my question .
Lets say that the Taleban wanted to swap hostages for captured enemy combatants would you support such a measure ?
Bearing in mind that that the enemy combatants could kill coalition troops or innocent people in the future.

What value do you place upon the enemy gaining a means that could be used for future propaganda purposes ?
Put another way will saving the lives of the remaining hostages be enough to counter future enemy propaganda which revolves around Mullah grave ?

new topics

top topics

join