It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want SPELL CHECK on ats

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
And what is wrong with just learning to SPELL. I keep a dictionary on my desk. The effort of looking up a word now and then makes it stick in my mind better.

What is so hard about learning, that you are unwilling to explore the concept? Do you have a mental block that is suppressing the varied meanings in the words "Deny Ignorance"?

To learn at anything requires effort. If you are too lazy to learn, and fearful of appearing stupid, then there is no solution.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Welcome, SuperSlovak!

The ATS Freshman's Forum is a great place to discuss the complexities of the ATS universe and to get advice from rookies and veterans alike.

Asala has a new member thread here: Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice.

There are lots of handy tips available in the Handbook of ATS Links.

Here are some Important Website-Related Threads.

Configuring your MyATS page is the easiest way to put the ATS universe at your fingertips.

Be sure to check out Social Issues on AbovePolitics. I'm sure you will find the atmosphere to be friendly, enlightening, and rewarding.

Here's an excellent little, unobtrusive spell checker, in case you need one: ieSpell 2.5.1 build 106

A convenient text editor also comes in handy when composing those epic posts: EditPad Lite.

Sooner or later you will find a use for TinyURL!™

Don’t forget to set up the “Comments” section in your profile, so folks can drop by to say, “Hi!” All it takes is a “Howdy” from you to get the ball rolling.

Oh, and visit the Automotive Discussion forum.

Grady

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Envisioned ... yet, you were obviously able to understand and comprehend their post. (?)
... despite the non-native language barrier. (?)

[edit on 27-5-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

Sir, I am unable to parse your reply. Who is 'Envisioned'?

What about a 'Writer' who sarcastically comments about 'spelling' yet makes several spelling and grammar errors in their comment; is it not both ironic and illustrative?

My point was that people here who routinely misspell, use bad grammar, or chose incorrect homophones are either:

1. too lazy to proofread;
2. dropped out of high school and/or
3. don't care;
4. do it on purpose and dare people to flame them.

I'd suggest that only a tiny, tiny portion are from people for whom English is not a native language.

How do you explain a person who wants to give a 'learned' treatise on Einstein, but misspells his name? Or what about a person who cites a case but is too lazy to quickly check it on Wiki to get a few facts? What about people who ask questions but don't use the ATS search function to see if there's a current thread?

On any given day I can look at the new posts and find about 10 misspellings or word usage errors just in thread titles!

To me it all points to either laziness or maybe sleeping their way through what schooling they had. LOL. Regardless, with the advent of spell checkers in Word and Firefox, there's really no excuse for not using the right mouse button, is there?

Again, not flaming, just following the thread, where we are talking about spell checking in this subject, after all, no?

[edit on 29-5-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I use Mozilla Fox and as we speak my post is being spell checked. If something is misspelled, it'll be underlined red. Maybe try and download Mozilla Fox.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Badge, I think you are being too harsh on people in general. Not everyone is a scholar. Not all information is permanently retained. I think nit-picking at spelling and grammatical errors is a bit arrogant and elitist. Not saying you are, but, people tend to think they are better than others just because they have a few extra points on an IQ test. Not all intelligence can be determined by simple book smarts alone. If you read my posts and were to dissect me, you might 'think' I am not as smart as my IQ score relates that I am because my spelling is beginning to falter from its once great status and grammar wasn't taught to me in public school since elementary, and then, it was only lightly brushed upon.

I will fully agree, the o.p. is asking for something that is completely un-necessary. I have a spelling program that works for any text box I use on my computer, acquired for free. It makes no sense to ask for something that will cause problems to the site you enjoy using when there are several FREE options available. The excuse of 'I don't like FireFox' and 'I am too lazy for Word' has to be the worst example of why something should be implemented. There are freeware programs, add-ons, extensions for any browser you choose to use (I personally have the latest Firefox, Opera, Explorer, and Safari on my XP MCE).

To ask for something then it is explained to be impossible for logical reasons (slowed server response, multi-lingual community) ... then demand (even if offering money) it is done anyway, in spite of easy free alternatives that would work for whatever browser choice and computer system you own (PC, Mac, Linux ... ) ... I think borderlines on completely stubborn and rude ... and far beyond ignorance. That is not asking for help and sound advice, that is demanding your way, and your way only, regardless of the negative effect to others ... quite selfish in my honest opinion.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by Badge01
For instance, you have 'Writer' above your Avatar yet you have four misspellings, and about five grammatical errors.
(not flaming, just illustrating).

Envisioned ... yet, you were obviously able to understand and comprehend their post. (?)
... despite the non-native language barrier. (?)

We have a Global membership on ATS, and Not everyone's native language is English ... to include issues regarding format and structure. I would like to believe that All members do their best to put forth their ideals, opinions, and concerns as best they can ... to the best of their ability.

All "TXT TALK" aside ... I see a spellchecker as being a null issue, especially due to the multinational, multilingual nature of the ATS Community/Membership. (?)

[edit on 27-5-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

But having a spellchecker could actually help those non native English speakers and vastly improve the spelling of your average american??

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
To spell check a webpage or a forum thread you can use a online spell checker like Wonderspell (www.wonderspell.com...)

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Mozilla comes with a spell check. It's American English though. If you're a Brit or Canuck you'll get spelling errors even though it looks right.

Yeah Mozilla, Now I think they only have Firefox but same thing really. It will underline your misspelling's with red and you right click and select the proper spelling. You can also add to its dictionary for quirky lingo you may use.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join